why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?

why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?

jameslordhz

will this make it easier to manage the source code for maven ?

RE: why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?

mgainty

these are the eclipse (sub)projects i have thus far:
          apache
          cdt
          core
          equinox
          jdt
          text
          wst

if my base eclipse version is 3.7 (for eclipse version 3.7)
and if i implement a new algorithm for EditText or UndoText I would refactor org.eclipse.text.edits.TextEdit or org.eclipse.text.edits.UndoEdit
-I would'nt touch core (or any other modules) leaving the original modules as 3.7
-but i would re-assign  eclipse-text sub-project version as 3.7.001

make ¢?
Martin
Put disclaimer here.

> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 01:57:46 +0800
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?
>

> will this make it easier to manage the source code for maven ?

Re: why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?

Benson Margulies
What are you two talking about. In what respect is Maven 3 divided
into this set of eclipse projects?

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> these are the eclipse (sub)projects i have thus far:
>          apache
>          cdt
>          core
>          equinox
>          jdt
>          text
>          wst
>
> if my base eclipse version is 3.7 (for eclipse version 3.7)
> and if i implement a new algorithm for EditText or UndoText I would refactor org.eclipse.text.edits.TextEdit or org.eclipse.text.edits.UndoEdit
> -I would'nt touch core (or any other modules) leaving the original modules as 3.7
> -but i would re-assign  eclipse-text sub-project version as 3.7.001
>
> make ¢?
> Martin
> Put disclaimer here.
>

>> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 01:57:46 +0800
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?
>>

>> will this make it easier to manage the source code for maven ?

Re: why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?

Wendy Smoak
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> make ¢?

No.  Where did that list come from?

I thought maybe the OP was asking about the many modules in the Maven
source code:  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/maven-3/trunk/

--
Wendy

Re: why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?

Tamás Cservenák
Sorry, did not noticed the OOM in the logs! Bot restarted, try again please...

Thanks,
~t~

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Wendy Smoak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> make ¢?
>
> No.  Where did that list come from?

Re: Re: why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?

jameslordhz

after i use mvn eclipse:eclipse, eleven eclipse projects are generated for maven 3, that is
                 [maven-aether-provider]
[maven-artifact]            [maven-compat]
[maven-core]                [maven-embedder]
[maven-model]               [maven-model-builder]
[maven-plugin-api]          [maven-repository-metadata]
[maven-settings]            [maven-settings-builder]

now the question is why Maven 3 is organized using eleven projects, maybe merge these projects into one is also nice : )  any comments?

2011-06-30

jameslordhz

What are you two talking about. In what respect is Maven 3 divided
into this set of eclipse projects?
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> these are the eclipse (sub)projects i have thus far:
>          apache
>          cdt
>          core
>          equinox
>          jdt
>          text
>          wst
>
> if my base eclipse version is 3.7 (for eclipse version 3.7)
> and if i implement a new algorithm for EditText or UndoText I would refactor org.eclipse.text.edits.TextEdit or org.eclipse.text.edits.UndoEdit
> -I would'nt touch core (or any other modules) leaving the original modules as 3.7
> -but i would re-assign  eclipse-text sub-project version as 3.7.001
>
> make ¢?
> Martin
> Put disclaimer here.
>

>> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 01:57:46 +0800
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?
>>

>> will this make it easier to manage the source code for maven ?

Re: Re: why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?

Mark Struberg
why is the linux shell not merged into one but instead are ls and tree and stuff separate programs?

The answer is: separation of concerns!

Why should we throw this together and thus create a big bunch of unmaintainable code?

LieGrue,
strub

> after i use mvn eclipse:eclipse, eleven eclipse projects
> are generated for maven 3, that is
>
>    [maven-aether-provider]
> [maven-artifact]
> [maven-compat]
> [maven-core]
>     [maven-embedder]
> [maven-model]
>    [maven-model-builder]
> [maven-plugin-api]
> [maven-repository-metadata]
> [maven-settings]
> [maven-settings-builder]
>
> now the question is why Maven 3 is organized using eleven
> projects, maybe merge these projects into one is also nice :
> )  any comments?
>

> 2011-06-30
>

> jameslordhz

Re: Re: Re: why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?

jameslordhz
Maybe you are right,but large project as hadoop have far less ecipse projects compared with maven, is that necessary to have eleven eclipse projects? why not 5 or less?

2011-06-30

jameslordhz

why is the linux shell not merged into one but instead are ls and tree and stuff separate programs?
The answer is: separation of concerns!
Why should we throw this together and thus create a big bunch of unmaintainable code?
LieGrue,
strub
> after i use mvn eclipse:eclipse, eleven eclipse projects
> are generated for maven 3, that is
>
>    [maven-aether-provider]
> [maven-artifact]
> [maven-compat]
> [maven-core]
>     [maven-embedder]
> [maven-model]
>    [maven-model-builder]
> [maven-plugin-api]
> [maven-repository-metadata]
> [maven-settings]
> [maven-settings-builder]
>
> now the question is why Maven 3 is organized using eleven
> projects, maybe merge these projects into one is also nice :
> )  any comments?
>

> 2011-06-30
>

> jameslordhz

For the same reason that anything else is divided into components, to
manage modularity and dependencies. Some of these are shared
components that the plugins or other tools use, so they can't be one
giant monolith.

In short, lumping them wouldn't work and would not be nicer.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:24 PM, jameslordhz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> after i use mvn eclipse:eclipse, eleven eclipse projects are generated for maven 3, that is
>                 [maven-aether-provider]
> [maven-artifact]            [maven-compat]
> [maven-core]                [maven-embedder]
> [maven-model]               [maven-model-builder]
> [maven-plugin-api]          [maven-repository-metadata]
> [maven-settings]            [maven-settings-builder]
>
> now the question is why Maven 3 is organized using eleven projects, maybe merge these projects into one is also nice : )  any comments?
>

> 2011-06-30
>

> jameslordhz

Stephane Nicoll
Oh my God. For the record a directory with some source code is not an
eclipse project. Next time it might be worth describing properly what you're
complaining about.

> will this make it easier to manage the source code for maven ?

Re: Re: Re: why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?

Wayne Fay
> Maybe you are right,but large project as hadoop have far
> less ecipse projects compared with maven, is that necessary
> to have eleven eclipse projects? why not 5 or less?

Honestly, why do you care? Is there a specific criticism, comment or
question you have, other than "11 projects seems like a lot, Hadoop
has less"?

Or are you just trolling for fun?

Wayne

Re: why Maven 3 is divided into eleven eclipse project?

FYI, here is the dependency tree: [1]

in Mavn 2, the dependency tree [2] was more complex: one of the objectives of
Maven 3 was to simplify it to match the good level of modularity

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.0.3/

[2] http://maven.apache.org/ref/2.2.1/

Le jeudi 30 juin 2011, jameslordhz a écrit :

> Maybe you are right,but large project as hadoop have far less ecipse
> projects compared with maven, is that necessary to have eleven eclipse
> projects? why not 5 or less?
>

> 2011-06-30
>

> jameslordhz

jameslordhz,

While I don't entirely support some of my colleagues sharp choices of
words, I completely agree with their net sentiment. We don't design
software to minimize to number of IDE projects. If you look at, say,
Apache CXF, it has dozens. We design it to have a sensible,
maintainable, modularity. In a dependency-management environment like
OSGi or Maven, there's a special value in small modules, as it allows
fine control.

Your comparison to hadoop seems ironic to me. I've just spend some
time fighting with classpath issues in hadoop jobs, and I reached the
conclusion that hadoop desperately needs something like OSGi or Guice
to control the chaos.

In any case, and with all due respect, this project is not going to do
major rearrangement of the furniture based on email from someone who
has, so far, made no other contribution to the project. So I think
that this thread is pretty much done. If you'd like to join the
development community, there are plenty of resources out there
describing what's to be done and how to approach it.

--benson margulies