warning messages

Bill Tantzen
Friends:

mac os sierra
maven 3.5.2
java 1.8.0_25

SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for
further details.

I have added the following to my classpath in an attempt to eliminate
these wanings:

slf4j-api-1.7.25.jar
slf4j-nop-1.7.25.jar

I no longer see the warnings -- is this all I need to do?  Am I losing
any output to my console by using the nop binding?

-- Regards,
Bill

Re: warning messages

Mirko Friedenhagen-2
Hello Bill,

I am running Maven 3.5.2 on macOS high sierra with Oracle JDK 1.8.162 and
do not see these messages. I installed Maven using brew.

Did you just download and unpack the tar.gz?

Do you set MAVEN_OPTS either in your .bashrc or maybe .mavenrc file?

Best regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile

Am 27.02.2018 22:51 schrieb "Bill Tantzen" <[hidden email]>:

> Friends:
>
> mac os sierra
> maven 3.5.2
> java 1.8.0_25
>
> SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
> SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
> SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for
> further details.
>
> I have added the following to my classpath in an attempt to eliminate
> these wanings:
>
> slf4j-api-1.7.25.jar
> slf4j-nop-1.7.25.jar
>
> I no longer see the warnings -- is this all I need to do?  Am I losing
> any output to my console by using the nop binding?
>
> -- Regards,
> Bill

Re: warning messages

Bill Tantzen
Thanks Mirko -- I've tried it both ways (brew and download) with
exactly the same results.  There seems to be something interfering
with Maven's built-in slf4j support, but I cannot find what it is.

I don't have any MAVEN_OPTS -- can you share an example?

Thanks!
--Bill

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 4:43 PM, Mirko Friedenhagen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Bill,
>
> I am running Maven 3.5.2 on macOS high sierra with Oracle JDK 1.8.162 and
> do not see these messages. I installed Maven using brew.
>
> Did you just download and unpack the tar.gz?
>
> Do you set MAVEN_OPTS either in your .bashrc or maybe .mavenrc file?
>
> Best regards
> Mirko
> --
> Sent from my mobile
>
> Am 27.02.2018 22:51 schrieb "Bill Tantzen" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Friends:
>>
>> mac os sierra
>> maven 3.5.2
>> java 1.8.0_25
>>
>> SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
>> SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
>> SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for
>> further details.
>>
>> I have added the following to my classpath in an attempt to eliminate
>> these wanings:
>>
>> slf4j-api-1.7.25.jar
>> slf4j-nop-1.7.25.jar
>>
>> I no longer see the warnings -- is this all I need to do?  Am I losing
>> any output to my console by using the nop binding?
>>
>> -- Regards,
>> Bill

Human wheels spin round and round
While the clock keeps the pace... -- John Mellencamp

Re: warning messages

Mirko Friedenhagen-2
Hello Bill,
sorry for the confusion, MAVEN_OPTS does not need to be set but might
influence e.g. your classpath.

Please write what you are doing exactly.
Is this a general problem or only a problem for one project.

 I use 3.5.2 day by day and never saw these messages.

Best regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile

Am 28.02.2018 15:13 schrieb "Bill Tantzen" <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks Mirko -- I've tried it both ways (brew and download) with
> exactly the same results.  There seems to be something interfering
> with Maven's built-in slf4j support, but I cannot find what it is.
>
> I don't have any MAVEN_OPTS -- can you share an example?
>
> Thanks!
> --Bill
>
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 4:43 PM, Mirko Friedenhagen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello Bill,
> >
> > I am running Maven 3.5.2 on macOS high sierra with Oracle JDK 1.8.162 and
> > do not see these messages. I installed Maven using brew.
> >
> > Did you just download and unpack the tar.gz?
> >
> > Do you set MAVEN_OPTS either in your .bashrc or maybe .mavenrc file?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Mirko
> > --
> > Sent from my mobile
> >
> > Am 27.02.2018 22:51 schrieb "Bill Tantzen" <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> Friends:
> >>
> >> mac os sierra
> >> maven 3.5.2
> >> java 1.8.0_25
> >>
> >> SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
> >> SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
> >> SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for
> >> further details.
> >>
> >> I have added the following to my classpath in an attempt to eliminate
> >> these wanings:
> >>
> >> slf4j-api-1.7.25.jar
> >> slf4j-nop-1.7.25.jar
> >>
> >> I no longer see the warnings -- is this all I need to do?  Am I losing
> >> any output to my console by using the nop binding?
> >>
> >> -- Regards,
> >> Bill

> Human wheels spin round and round
> While the clock keeps the pace... -- John Mellencamp

Re: warning messages

Bill Tantzen
It works!  The final solution was to remove EVERY jar file from
~/Library/Java/Extensions, and voila, all is good.  A next step might
be to add the jars back one-by-one to find the culprit, but I will
save that for another day...  There was nothing suspicious looking
there, but obviously, there was a conflict in at least one of the
libraries.

Thanks a million!
--Bill

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 3:41 PM, Mirko Friedenhagen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Bill,
> sorry for the confusion, MAVEN_OPTS does not need to be set but might
> influence e.g. your classpath.
>
> Please write what you are doing exactly.
> Is this a general problem or only a problem for one project.
>
>  I use 3.5.2 day by day and never saw these messages.
>
> Best regards
> Mirko
> --
> Sent from my mobile
>
> Am 28.02.2018 15:13 schrieb "Bill Tantzen" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Thanks Mirko -- I've tried it both ways (brew and download) with
>> exactly the same results.  There seems to be something interfering
>> with Maven's built-in slf4j support, but I cannot find what it is.
>>
>> I don't have any MAVEN_OPTS -- can you share an example?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> --Bill
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 4:43 PM, Mirko Friedenhagen
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hello Bill,
>> >
>> > I am running Maven 3.5.2 on macOS high sierra with Oracle JDK 1.8.162 and
>> > do not see these messages. I installed Maven using brew.
>> >
>> > Did you just download and unpack the tar.gz?
>> >
>> > Do you set MAVEN_OPTS either in your .bashrc or maybe .mavenrc file?
>> >
>> > Best regards
>> > Mirko
>> > --
>> > Sent from my mobile

>> --
>> Human wheels spin round and round
>> While the clock keeps the pace... -- John Mellencamp

Human wheels spin round and round
While the clock keeps the pace... -- John Mellencamp

Re: warning messages

Mirko Friedenhagen-2
Hello Bill,

~/Library/Java/Extensions crossed my mind as well. You could even create
this folder  at root level, i.e. /Library/...

Personally I would stay away from putting stuff in these folders, as
afterwards your build might not be reproducible.

Best regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile

Am 28.02.2018 22:52 schrieb "Bill Tantzen" <[hidden email]>:

> It works!  The final solution was to remove EVERY jar file from
> ~/Library/Java/Extensions, and voila, all is good.  A next step might
> be to add the jars back one-by-one to find the culprit, but I will
> save that for another day...  There was nothing suspicious looking
> there, but obviously, there was a conflict in at least one of the
> libraries.
>
> Thanks a million!
> --Bill
>
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 3:41 PM, Mirko Friedenhagen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello Bill,
> > sorry for the confusion, MAVEN_OPTS does not need to be set but might
> > influence e.g. your classpath.
> >
> > Please write what you are doing exactly.
> > Is this a general problem or only a problem for one project.
> >
> >  I use 3.5.2 day by day and never saw these messages.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Mirko
> > --
> > Sent from my mobile
> >
> > Am 28.02.2018 15:13 schrieb "Bill Tantzen" <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> Thanks Mirko -- I've tried it both ways (brew and download) with
> >> exactly the same results.  There seems to be something interfering
> >> with Maven's built-in slf4j support, but I cannot find what it is.
> >>
> >> I don't have any MAVEN_OPTS -- can you share an example?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> --Bill

> and

> losing

> >> --
> >> Human wheels spin round and round
> >> While the clock keeps the pace... -- John Mellencamp

> Human wheels spin round and round
> While the clock keeps the pace... -- John Mellencamp

Re: warning messages

Bill Tantzen
As I move more into a Maven environment, there is declining need to
add libraries to java extensions directories.  You are absolutely
right!

Thanks so much,
--Bill