uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

Matthieu BROUILLARD-3
Hi all,

I know the issue/problem below is not directly related to maven dev list
but I thought it would be a good place to open the discussion.

It has been the case for several months now : community is facing issues
when deploying to central via OSSRH.
Personally I faced the issue several times, latest one today (OSSRH-63407).
I reached them via twitter and commented on open issues.
Also Microsoft JDBC team faced it few weeks ago (OSSRH-62435), Quarkus team
is having problems too (OSSRH-63387) and some others : see JIRA search [1]

As going through OSSRH is the official documented way [2] to reach central
and as it affects the community, don't you think there should be some
discussions between maven representatives & sonatype ones to tackle the
problems?

Regards,

Matthieu

[1] :
https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-63387?jql=project%20%3D%20OSSRH%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20created%20%3E%3D%20-10w%20AND%20text%20~%20%22timeout%20OR%20slow%22%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC
[2] :
https://maven.apache.org/repository/guide-central-repository-upload.html

Re: uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

Brian Fox-2
I think that each of those other instances are more unrelated to each
other, except in some cases massive scale. OSSRH itself is in the
process of being federated and large projects are given the
opportunity to move to their own new, or separate instance so their
load doesn't hurt the many thousands of other builds flowing through
the system at any given time. In terms of the community though, this
list is really the place to discuss development of maven itself, so
it's a bit orthogonal.

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 1:43 PM Matthieu Brouillard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Brian,
>
> I'll reopen an issue next time I face an upload problem.
>

> *> it's not occurring across the entire system *
> Ok but the case was not isolated, it occurred also in the past weeks to
> microsoft, redhat, springboot guys and to several anonymous like me that
> try to maintain some oss stuff.
> Moreover, I initially thought that OSSRH timeout was not 'just' a Sonatype
> issue even if Sonatype is the operator of central & OSSRH (and I thank you
> for that). I saw it as a community problem and thus I just wanted to have
> some feedback from this community.
>
> Matthieu
>

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 6:25 PM Brian Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Matthieu, I think continuing the conversation on your existing
> > ossrh ticket is the right place to resolve this. While it seems like
> > you're having recurring issues, it's not occurring across the entire
> > system so we need to figure out what the unique issue is.
> >
> > --Brian
> > Cofounder & CTO Sonatype
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 7:28 AM Matthieu Brouillard
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Can a representative provide some information on the topic. Are there
> > > discussions with Sonatype?
> > > Yesterday again OSSRH had troubles [1].
> > > The graphs on https://status.maven.org/ can look ok but I suspect the
> > > 99.99% of OSSRH availability to be only an HTTP health check which does
> > not
> > > represent the effective availability of the service (the staging
> > operation
> > > duration is by far a better indicator but data is restricted to a single
> > > day and the holes in the graph are not explained).
> > > Such recurring issues should be tackled otherwise people will switch to
> > > less reliable (in term of ownership / deployment rules) alternative
> > > repositories and libraries/projects will not reach central anymore.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Matthieu
> > >
> > > [1] : https://status.maven.org/incidents/c9svd46b6r92?u=hj0q9bssz3zp
> > >
> > > On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:13 PM Matthieu Brouillard <
> > [hidden email]>

> > list

> > issues
> > search

> > central

> > https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-63387?jql=project%20%3D%20OSSRH%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20created%20%3E%3D%20-10w%20AND%20text%20~%20%22timeout%20OR%20slow%22%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC
> > > >
> > https://maven.apache.org/repository/guide-central-repository-upload.html

Re: uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

Matthieu BROUILLARD-3
Hi Brian & list,

Sorry but I have to insist on the fact that again yesterday and today OSSRH
is mostly unavailable.
I again tried, like others, to deploy artifacts and it failed.
After pinging on twitter, the OPs have provided again a feedback that
deployments have pilled [1] explaining the timeouts.
I am sure Sonatype is doing its best to resolve those issues but from the
community pov there is a real issue with the way we, as maven eosystem
contributors, are expected to deploy to central.
Should a more decentralised workflow be established? I do not know but it
has to be discussed & addressed.

By the way I'll reopen an issue to track again the failures I have faced.

Matthieu

[1] : https://twitter.com/sonatype_ops/status/1352625400480817153

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 7:51 PM Brian Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that each of those other instances are more unrelated to each
> other, except in some cases massive scale. OSSRH itself is in the
> process of being federated and large projects are given the
> opportunity to move to their own new, or separate instance so their
> load doesn't hurt the many thousands of other builds flowing through
> the system at any given time. In terms of the community though, this
> list is really the place to discuss development of maven itself, so
> it's a bit orthogonal.
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 1:43 PM Matthieu Brouillard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Brian,
> >
> > I'll reopen an issue next time I face an upload problem.
> >

> > *> it's not occurring across the entire system *
> > Ok but the case was not isolated, it occurred also in the past weeks to
> > microsoft, redhat, springboot guys and to several anonymous like me that
> > try to maintain some oss stuff.
> > Moreover, I initially thought that OSSRH timeout was not 'just' a
> Sonatype
> > issue even if Sonatype is the operator of central & OSSRH (and I thank
> you
> > for that). I saw it as a community problem and thus I just wanted to have
> > some feedback from this community.
> >
> > Matthieu
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 6:25 PM Brian Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Matthieu, I think continuing the conversation on your existing
> > > ossrh ticket is the right place to resolve this. While it seems like
> > > you're having recurring issues, it's not occurring across the entire
> > > system so we need to figure out what the unique issue is.
> > >
> > > --Brian
> > > Cofounder & CTO Sonatype

> the
> does
> > > not
> > > operation
> single

> > > [hidden email]>

> > > list

> > > issues
> issues.
> Quarkus
> JIRA
> > > search

> > > central
> some
> tackle the

> https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-63387?jql=project%20%3D%20OSSRH%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20created%20%3E%3D%20-10w%20AND%20text%20~%20%22timeout%20OR%20slow%22%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC
> > > > >

> https://maven.apache.org/repository/guide-central-repository-upload.html

Re: uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

Matthieu BROUILLARD-3
Hi Romain,

Thanks for the hint, I do not use the 'maven-deploy-plugin' to reach
central but I use 'nexus-staging-maven-plugin' as described on
central/sonatype documentation [1].
The issues are not coming from uploads but from internal
publication/staging inside the OSSRH infrastructure as far as I understand
the problem.
If there is another way to deploy to central using the standard
maven-deploy-plugin I'd be glad to test it. Does it require a specific
setup?

Matthieu

[1]: https://central.sonatype.org/pages/apache-maven.html

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 5:35 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> alternative
> anymore.

> > https://status.maven.org/incidents/c9svd46b6r92?u=hj0q9bssz3zp

> > dev

> facing
> > > issues.
> > > Quarkus
> > > JIRA

> > reach
> be
> > > some
> > > tackle the

> https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-63387?jql=project%20%3D%20OSSRH%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20created%20%3E%3D%20-10w%20AND%20text%20~%20%22timeout%20OR%20slow%22%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC
> > > > > > >

> https://maven.apache.org/repository/guide-central-repository-upload.html

Re: uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

Romain Manni-Bucau
Maven deploy plugin works but nexus one automates some stages (like closing
the staging and releasing it without having to do iy manually after the
upload).