Quantcast

unit testing archetypes

Max Spring-2
What would be a good approach to test an archetype project?
I'd like to have the test attached as a "unit" test to the archetype
project itself.
A minimal test would be to "instantiate" the archetype and to build the
resulting project.
So far I have been playing with the exec-maven-plugin to invoke Maven
recursively, in the install phase.
I have to do this in the install phase in order for the archetype to be
visible.
It doesn't look very elegant to me.
Is there a better way to do this?
Thanks!
-Max

Re: unit testing archetypes

stephenconnolly
maven invoker plugin

On 10 February 2010 23:37, Max Spring <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What would be a good approach to test an archetype project?
> I'd like to have the test attached as a "unit" test to the archetype project
> itself.
> A minimal test would be to "instantiate" the archetype and to build the
> resulting project.
> So far I have been playing with the exec-maven-plugin to invoke Maven
> recursively, in the install phase.
> I have to do this in the install phase in order for the archetype to be
> visible.
> It doesn't look very elegant to me.
> Is there a better way to do this?
> Thanks!
> -Max

Re: unit testing archetypes

lukewpatterson
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Max Spring <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What would be a good approach to test an archetype project?
> A minimal test would be to "instantiate" the archetype and to build the resulting project.

Here's some cut-and-paste that I'm using:

<plugin>
<artifactId>maven-invoker-plugin</artifactId>
<executions>
  <execution>
    <id>integration-test</id>
    <goals>
      <goal>install</goal>
      <goal>run</goal>
    </goals>
  </execution>
</executions>
<configuration>
  <cloneProjectsTo>${project.build.directory}/it/projects</cloneProjectsTo>
  <goals>
    <goal>org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:generate</goal>
  </goals>
  <localRepositoryPath>${project.build.directory}/it/repo</localRepositoryPath>
  <pomIncludes>
    <pomInclude>*</pomInclude>
  </pomIncludes>
  <projectsDirectory>${basedir}/src/it/projects</projectsDirectory>
  <properties>
    <archetypeArtifactId>${project.artifactId}</archetypeArtifactId>
    <archetypeGroupId>${project.groupId}</archetypeGroupId>
    <archetypeRepository>local</archetypeRepository>
    <archetypeVersion>${project.version}</archetypeVersion>
    <goals>verify</goals>
    <interactiveMode>false</interactiveMode>
  </properties>
  <streamLogs>true</streamLogs>
</configuration>
</plugin>

then, your archetype will be run during integration-test phase for all
subdirectories of <projectsDirectory>, a test.properties file will
contain the inputs to the archetype:generate goal, and the verify
phase will be run on each newly generated project

to add a new test, add another directory under <projectsDirectory>
with a test.properties file

e.g.

src/it/projects/firsttest/test.properties with contents:

groupId=com.foo
artifactId=firsttest
version=1.0.0
package=com.foo.firsttest

that will create a "firsttest" directory under
${project.build.directory}/it/projects/firsttest with the stuff
generated by your archetype, and then run the verify phase on the
newly generated "com.foo.firsttest" project

Re: unit testing archetypes

kaosko
Good stuff Luke, thanks, I've been pondering what the best approach is
for this myself.

Kalle

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Luke Patterson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Max Spring <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What would be a good approach to test an archetype project?
>> A minimal test would be to "instantiate" the archetype and to build the resulting project.
>
> Here's some cut-and-paste that I'm using:
>
> <plugin>
> <artifactId>maven-invoker-plugin</artifactId>
> <executions>
>  <execution>
>    <id>integration-test</id>
>    <goals>
>      <goal>install</goal>
>      <goal>run</goal>
>    </goals>
>  </execution>
> </executions>
> <configuration>
>  <cloneProjectsTo>${project.build.directory}/it/projects</cloneProjectsTo>
>  <goals>
>    <goal>org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:generate</goal>
>  </goals>
>  <localRepositoryPath>${project.build.directory}/it/repo</localRepositoryPath>
>  <pomIncludes>
>    <pomInclude>*</pomInclude>
>  </pomIncludes>
>  <projectsDirectory>${basedir}/src/it/projects</projectsDirectory>
>  <properties>
>    <archetypeArtifactId>${project.artifactId}</archetypeArtifactId>
>    <archetypeGroupId>${project.groupId}</archetypeGroupId>
>    <archetypeRepository>local</archetypeRepository>
>    <archetypeVersion>${project.version}</archetypeVersion>
>    <goals>verify</goals>
>    <interactiveMode>false</interactiveMode>
>  </properties>
>  <streamLogs>true</streamLogs>
> </configuration>
> </plugin>
>

> then, your archetype will be run during integration-test phase for all
> subdirectories of <projectsDirectory>, a test.properties file will
> contain the inputs to the archetype:generate goal, and the verify
> phase will be run on each newly generated project
>
> to add a new test, add another directory under <projectsDirectory>
> with a test.properties file

> e.g.
>
> src/it/projects/firsttest/test.properties with contents:
>
> groupId=com.foo
> artifactId=firsttest
> version=1.0.0
> package=com.foo.firsttest
>
> that will create a "firsttest" directory under
> ${project.build.directory}/it/projects/firsttest with the stuff
> generated by your archetype, and then run the verify phase on the
> newly generated "com.foo.firsttest" project

Re: unit testing archetypes

Max Spring
This is exactly what  I was looking for. Great!

One missing piece: If the instantiated archetype fails to build, I want
the integration test to fail.
So far a failure result is not getting propagated to the "outer" Maven
execution.
I assume this would need to be done as a postBuildHookScript?

Thank you!
-Max

On 2/11/2010 6:13 AM, Luke Patterson wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Max Spring<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> What would be a good approach to test an archetype project?
>> A minimal test would be to "instantiate" the archetype and to build the resulting project.
>>
> Here's some cut-and-paste that I'm using:
>
> <plugin>
> <artifactId>maven-invoker-plugin</artifactId>
> <executions>
>    <execution>
>      <id>integration-test</id>
>      <goals>
>        <goal>install</goal>
>        <goal>run</goal>
>      </goals>
>    </execution>
> </executions>
> <configuration>
>    <cloneProjectsTo>${project.build.directory}/it/projects</cloneProjectsTo>
>    <goals>
>      <goal>org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:generate</goal>
>    </goals>
>    <localRepositoryPath>${project.build.directory}/it/repo</localRepositoryPath>
>    <pomIncludes>
>      <pomInclude>*</pomInclude>
>    </pomIncludes>
>    <projectsDirectory>${basedir}/src/it/projects</projectsDirectory>
>    <properties>
>      <archetypeArtifactId>${project.artifactId}</archetypeArtifactId>
>      <archetypeGroupId>${project.groupId}</archetypeGroupId>
>      <archetypeRepository>local</archetypeRepository>
>      <archetypeVersion>${project.version}</archetypeVersion>
>      <goals>verify</goals>
>      <interactiveMode>false</interactiveMode>
>    </properties>
>    <streamLogs>true</streamLogs>
> </configuration>
> </plugin>
>

> then, your archetype will be run during integration-test phase for all
> subdirectories of<projectsDirectory>, a test.properties file will
> contain the inputs to the archetype:generate goal, and the verify
> phase will be run on each newly generated project
>
> to add a new test, add another directory under<projectsDirectory>
> with a test.properties file

> e.g.
>
> src/it/projects/firsttest/test.properties with contents:
>
> groupId=com.foo
> artifactId=firsttest
> version=1.0.0
> package=com.foo.firsttest
>
> that will create a "firsttest" directory under
> ${project.build.directory}/it/projects/firsttest with the stuff
> generated by your archetype, and then run the verify phase on the
> newly generated "com.foo.firsttest" project

Re: unit testing archetypes

stephenconnolly
in invoker.properties you will need to specify multiple executions, eg

invoker.goals.1=archetype:generate
invoker.goals.2=verify

the first one generates your project, the second builds it

Sent from my [rhymes with tryPod] ;-)

On 12 Feb 2010, at 01:43, Max Spring <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> then, your archetype will be run during integration-test phase for
>> all
>> subdirectories of<projectsDirectory>, a test.properties file will
>> contain the inputs to the archetype:generate goal, and the verify
>> phase will be run on each newly generated project
>>
>> to add a new test, add another directory under<projectsDirectory>
>> with a test.properties file

>> e.g.
>>
>> src/it/projects/firsttest/test.properties with contents:
>>
>> groupId=com.foo
>> artifactId=firsttest
>> version=1.0.0
>> package=com.foo.firsttest
>>
>> that will create a "firsttest" directory under
>> ${project.build.directory}/it/projects/firsttest with the stuff
>> generated by your archetype, and then run the verify phase on the
>> newly generated "com.foo.firsttest" project

Max Spring wrote
One missing piece: If the instantiated archetype fails to build, I want
the integration test to fail.
So far a failure result is not getting propagated to the "outer" Maven
execution.
Hmm, I didn't know archetype would ignore failures, I pasted another solution below.

Stephen Connolly-2 wrote
in invoker.properties you will need to specify multiple executions, eg
invoker.goals.1=archetype:generate
invoker.goals.2=verify
the first one generates your project, the second builds it
I think that setup will be "off by one".  It will run "verify" on the folders that just have "test.properties" in them, not one more level deep which contains the generated projects.

But a setup like this should work:

<plugin>
  <artifactId>maven-invoker-plugin</artifactId>
  <executions>
    <execution>
      <id>generate-projects</id>
      <goals>
        <goal>install</goal>
        <goal>run</goal>
      </goals>
[...]
      <id>verify-projects</id>
      <goals>
        <goal>run</goal>
      </goals>
      <configuration>
        <goals>
          <goal>verify</goal>
        </goals>
        <pomIncludes>
          <pomInclude>*/*/pom.xml</pomInclude>
        </pomIncludes>
        <projectsDirectory>${project.build.directory}/it/projects</projectsDirectory>
      </configuration>
    </execution>
  </executions>
  <configuration>
    <localRepositoryPath>${project.build.directory}/it/repo</localRepositoryPath>
    <streamLogs>true</streamLogs>
  </configuration>
</plugin>

Re: unit testing archetypes

stephenconnolly
On 12 February 2010 14:34, lukewpatterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Max Spring wrote:
>>
>> One missing piece: If the instantiated archetype fails to build, I want
>> the integration test to fail.
>> So far a failure result is not getting propagated to the "outer" Maven
>> execution.
>>

> Hmm, I didn't know archetype would ignore failures, I pasted another
> solution below.
>

> Stephen Connolly-2 wrote:
>>
>> in invoker.properties you will need to specify multiple executions, eg
>> invoker.goals.1=archetype:generate
>> invoker.goals.2=verify
>> the first one generates your project, the second builds it
>>

> I think that setup will be "off by one".  It will run "verify" on the
> folders that just have "test.properties" in them, not one more level deep
> which contains the generated projects.

however, when you create from an archetype in a directory which
conatins a pom, the created module gets added as a new child module,
so that the build will build the parent and the newly created child
;-)

> But a setup like this should work:
>
> <plugin>
>  <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>  <artifactId>maven-invoker-plugin</artifactId>
>  <executions>
>    <execution>
>      <id>generate-projects</id>
>      <goals>
>        <goal>install</goal>
>        <goal>run</goal>
>      </goals>
>      <configuration>
>
> <cloneProjectsTo>${project.build.directory}/it/projects</cloneProjectsTo>
>        <goals>
>
> <goal>org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:generate</goal>
>        </goals>
>        <pomIncludes>
>          <pomInclude>*</pomInclude>
>        </pomIncludes>
>        <projectsDirectory>${basedir}/src/it/projects</projectsDirectory>
>        <properties>
>          <archetypeArtifactId>${project.artifactId}</archetypeArtifactId>
>          <archetypeGroupId>${project.groupId}</archetypeGroupId>
>          <archetypeRepository>local</archetypeRepository>
>          <archetypeVersion>${project.version}</archetypeVersion>
>          <interactiveMode>false</interactiveMode>
>        </properties>
>      </configuration>
>    </execution>
>    <execution>
>      <id>verify-projects</id>
>      <goals>
>        <goal>run</goal>
>      </goals>
>      <configuration>
>        <goals>
>          <goal>verify</goal>
>        </goals>
>        <pomIncludes>
>          <pomInclude>*/*/pom.xml</pomInclude>
>        </pomIncludes>
>
> <projectsDirectory>${project.build.directory}/it/projects</projectsDirectory>
>      </configuration>
>    </execution>
>  </executions>
>  <configuration>
>
> <localRepositoryPath>${project.build.directory}/it/repo</localRepositoryPath>
>    <streamLogs>true</streamLogs>
>  </configuration>
> </plugin>

Re: unit testing archetypes

Max Spring
On 2/12/2010 8:14 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> On 12 February 2010 14:34, lukewpatterson<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>> Max Spring wrote:
>>
>>> One missing piece: If the instantiated archetype fails to build, I want
>>> the integration test to fail.
>>> So far a failure result is not getting propagated to the "outer" Maven
>>> execution.
>>>

>> Hmm, I didn't know archetype would ignore failures, I pasted another
>> solution below.
>>

>> Stephen Connolly-2 wrote:
>>
>>> in invoker.properties you will need to specify multiple executions, eg
>>> invoker.goals.1=archetype:generate
>>> invoker.goals.2=verify
>>> the first one generates your project, the second builds it
>>>

>> I think that setup will be "off by one".  It will run "verify" on the
>> folders that just have "test.properties" in them, not one more level deep
>> which contains the generated projects.
>>
> however, when you create from an archetype in a directory which
> conatins a pom, the created module gets added as a new child module,
> so that the build will build the parent and the newly created child
> ;-)

Yes, I learned about this behavior just this morning.
We have a parent POM design where the multi-module POM in the parent
directory != parent POM.
I'm now looking for a way to suppress this.
-Max

>> But a setup like this should work:
>>
>> <plugin>
>>   <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>>   <artifactId>maven-invoker-plugin</artifactId>
>>   <executions>
>>     <execution>
>>       <id>generate-projects</id>
>>       <goals>
>>         <goal>install</goal>
>>         <goal>run</goal>
>>       </goals>
>>       <configuration>
>>
>> <cloneProjectsTo>${project.build.directory}/it/projects</cloneProjectsTo>
>>         <goals>
>>
>> <goal>org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:generate</goal>
>>         </goals>
>>         <pomIncludes>
>>           <pomInclude>*</pomInclude>
>>         </pomIncludes>
>>         <projectsDirectory>${basedir}/src/it/projects</projectsDirectory>
>>         <properties>
>>           <archetypeArtifactId>${project.artifactId}</archetypeArtifactId>
>>           <archetypeGroupId>${project.groupId}</archetypeGroupId>
>>           <archetypeRepository>local</archetypeRepository>
>>           <archetypeVersion>${project.version}</archetypeVersion>
>>           <interactiveMode>false</interactiveMode>
>>         </properties>
>>       </configuration>
>>     </execution>
>>     <execution>
>>       <id>verify-projects</id>
>>       <goals>
>>         <goal>run</goal>
>>       </goals>
>>       <configuration>
>>         <goals>
>>           <goal>verify</goal>
>>         </goals>
>>         <pomIncludes>
>>           <pomInclude>*/*/pom.xml</pomInclude>
>>         </pomIncludes>
>>
>> <projectsDirectory>${project.build.directory}/it/projects</projectsDirectory>
>>       </configuration>
>>     </execution>
>>   </executions>
>>   <configuration>
>>
>> <localRepositoryPath>${project.build.directory}/it/repo</localRepositoryPath>
>>     <streamLogs>true</streamLogs>
>>   </configuration>
>> </plugin>

Re: unit testing archetypes

lukewpatterson
Sounds like there are two separate problems:

Problem 1:
Stephen Connolly-2 wrote
however, when you create from an archetype in a directory which
conatins a pom, the created module gets added as a new child module,
so that the build will build the parent and the newly created child
I think this should do it, it would involve separating your it projects into with-pom and without-pom subdirectories.  Not super-elegant but it works.

for the generate goal
<pomIncludes>
  <pomInclude>with-pom/*/pom.xml</pomInclude>
  <pomInclude>without-pom/*</pomInclude>
</pomIncludes>

for the verify goal
<pomIncludes>
 <pomInclude>with-pom/*/pom.xml</pomInclude>
 <pomInclude>without-pom/pom.xml</pomInclude>
</pomIncludes>

So you would have src/it/projects/with-pom and src/it/projects/without-pom directories

Problem 2:
Max Spring wrote
We have a parent POM design where the multi-module POM in the parent
directory != parent POM.
This is a capability/configurability problem with the archetype plugin, not with the testing methods, right?

parent pom reference generation [Was: Re: unit testing archetypes]

Max Spring
On 2/12/2010 5:20 PM, lukewpatterson wrote:

> Problem 2:
> Max Spring wrote:
>
>> We have a parent POM design where the multi-module POM in the parent
>> directory != parent POM.
>>

> This is a capability/configurability problem with the archetype plugin, not
> with the testing methods, right?

Yes, it is.
I have not found anything yet to configure this.
-Max