thoughts on more frequent releases

brettporter
Administrator
Hi,

Now that we are geting the infratstructure in place, I'd like to start
discussing working towards more frequent releases. It should be made so
easy as to be trivial early in alpha-3, and then we can publish
unofficial releases - nightlies, or perhaps weekly integration builds
that are better tested. This should help focus on constant quality also
as we draw towards the beta stages in and encourage more users to try
recent builds, without requiring them to bootstrap.

Anyone have any opinions on this? Thoughts on how to make it work best?

Cheers,
Brett

RE: thoughts on more frequent releases

Vincent Massol

I like it. We need to have a strong automated test suite to make this work
(improving it systematically as bugs are discovered).

One idea: a way to automatically update an installed Maven core. Plugins can
be upgraded automatically. Now it would be nice if a maven install could
also be upgraded. Something like (m2 -upgrade). That would help I think.

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: thoughts on more frequent releases

jdcasey

+1

<2cents>

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Would we use something similar to
- -NIGHTLY or -INTEGRATION rather than -RELEASE? While this wouldn't
really help with updating the maven libraries in $m2.home/lib, it might
eventually be a good idea to make this directory act more like a local
repository with an alternate (flat?) layout...then, when/if m2 were in
integration/nightly mode (had artifacts marked as -INTEGRATION/-NIGHTLY
in $m2.home/lib, we could use maven-artifact to update these deps then
re-launch maven...

I realize that this is a pretty tall order, but it would help us develop
technologies for launching applications using something akin to a
project descriptor (*cough* CLIng :)...which would really be a slick
alternate use case for the repository.

At any rate, I like the idea of making
milestone/nightly/integration/whatever builds on a tighter cycle. I
think it could help us flush out any bugs in our concept of the build
lifecycle, start to end (end being release in the standard, or library,
case ;)...

</2cents>

- -j

Brett Porter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now that we are geting the infratstructure in place, I'd like to start
> discussing working towards more frequent releases. It should be made so
> easy as to be trivial early in alpha-3, and then we can publish
> unofficial releases - nightlies, or perhaps weekly integration builds
> that are better tested. This should help focus on constant quality also
> as we draw towards the beta stages in and encourage more users to try
> recent builds, without requiring them to bootstrap.
>
> Anyone have any opinions on this? Thoughts on how to make it work best?
>
> Cheers,
> Brett

Re: thoughts on more frequent releases

Nicolas Chalumeau
On 5/12/05, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

That's really an good thing to do. I don't hesitate to use alpha
release but don't bootstrap from svn as plugin are not in sync with
the core for example...

For the maven team you will find a tester and I will happy to help

> > Anyone have any opinions on this? Thoughts on how to make it work best?
>
> I like it. We need to have a strong automated test suite to make this work
> (improving it systematically as bugs are discovered).
>
> One idea: a way to automatically update an installed Maven core. Plugins can
> be upgraded automatically. Now it would be nice if a maven install could
> also be upgraded. Something like (m2 -upgrade). That would help I think.

Really really good idea Vincent and this is avaible for Maven 1 too

Nicolas,

On 5/12/05, Nicolas Chalumeau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's really an good thing to do. I don't hesitate to use alpha
> release but don't bootstrap from svn as plugin are not in sync with
> the core for example...

Sorry I mean the "core" nigthly release are not in sync with plugin...

Nicolas