site-deploy using DAV with digest-auth

Marc Lustig
Hi,

we have configured our httpd to use digest-authentication for dav write-operations.

In the pom, we have configured the site distribution

<site>
      <id>maven-site</id>
      <url>dav:http://server/test</url>
</site>

In settings, we have configured the credentials as a server-tag
<server>
      <id>maven-site</id>
      <username>username</username>
      <password>pw</password>
</server>

When we run maven 2.1 site-deploy, we get the following error:

[INFO] [site:deploy]
http://ci1.muc.allianz/test - Session: Opened
Uploading: ./css/maven-base.css to http://ci1.muc.allianz/test

# Transfer error: org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpException: Unbuffered entity enclosing request can not be repeated.
http://ci1.muc.allianz/test - Session: Disconnecting
http://ci1.muc.allianz/test - Session: Disconnected
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Error uploading site

Embedded error: PUT request for: ./css/maven-base.css to maven-base.css failed
Unbuffered entity enclosing request can not be repeated.
[DEBUG] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Error uploading site
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:583)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:499)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:478)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:330)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:291)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:142)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:336)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:129)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: Error uploading site
        at org.apache.maven.plugins.site.SiteDeployMojo.execute(SiteDeployMojo.java:200)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:451)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:558)
        ... 16 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.wagon.TransferFailedException: PUT request for: ./css/maven-base.css to maven-base.css failed
        at org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.put(WebDavWagon.java:326)
        at org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.putDirectory(WebDavWagon.java:555)
        at org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.putDirectory(WebDavWagon.java:549)
        at org.apache.maven.plugins.site.SiteDeployMojo.execute(SiteDeployMojo.java:184)
        ... 18 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpException: Unbuffered entity enclosing request can not be repeated.

Is this problem related to the wagon-plugin?
Is the wagon-plugin not compatible with digest auth ?

Re: site-deploy using DAV with digest-auth

brettporter
Administrator
This is probably related to the authentication re-submissions that
John worked on. Is it any better in Maven 2.2.1?

- Brett

On 23/09/2009, at 10:19 PM, Marc Lustig wrote:

> [...]
> ./css/maven-base.css to maven-base.css failed
>        at
> org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.put
> (WebDavWagon.java:326)
>        at
> org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.putDirectory
> (WebDavWagon.java:555)
>        at
> org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.putDirectory
> (WebDavWagon.java:549)
>        at
> org.apache.maven.plugins.site.SiteDeployMojo.execute
> (SiteDeployMojo.java:184)
>        ... 18 more
> Caused by: org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpException: Unbuffered
> entity
> enclosing request can not be repeated.
>

> Is this problem related to the wagon-plugin?
> Is the wagon-plugin not compatible with digest auth ?

Timestamped snapshots with local time

Matt Milliss
I'm using <uniqueVersion>true</uniqueVersion> for deploying timestamped
snapshots to our Archiva repo. By default the timestamp seems to be in
GMT/UTC. Is there any way to get the timestamp to use local time.

Cheers
Matt Milliss

Re: Timestamped snapshots with local time

brettporter
Administrator
On 24/09/2009, at 9:58 AM, Matt Milliss wrote:

> I'm using <uniqueVersion>true</uniqueVersion> for deploying
> timestamped snapshots to our Archiva repo. By default the timestamp
> seems to be in GMT/UTC. Is there any way to get the timestamp to use
> local time.

No, there isn't. Why do you ask?

- Brett

Re: Timestamped snapshots with local time

Matt Milliss
Thanks Brett, it's not really a big issue, our deployment team just asked if
it could be done so they could tell easily what time the latest build was
deployed. To be honest I'm not really sure why they need it I just told them
I'd find out if it could be done.

Cheers
Matt

On 24/09/2009, at 8:07 PM, Matt Milliss wrote:

> Thanks Brett, it's not really a big issue, our deployment team just
> asked if
> it could be done so they could tell easily what time the latest
> build was
> deployed. To be honest I'm not really sure why they need it I just
> told them
> I'd find out if it could be done.

Cool. This is probably in scope for a repository manager to display
and localize, but not for Maven's usage itself.

- Brett

Re: Timestamped snapshots with local time

Brian Fox-2
It really needs to be in a consistent TZ (GMT in this case) to allow
people around the world to deploy snapshots and ensure that the
timestamps always move forward in time.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 5:19 AM, Brett Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24/09/2009, at 8:07 PM, Matt Milliss wrote:
>
>> Thanks Brett, it's not really a big issue, our deployment team just asked
>> if
>> it could be done so they could tell easily what time the latest build was
>> deployed. To be honest I'm not really sure why they need it I just told
>> them
>> I'd find out if it could be done.
>
> Cool. This is probably in scope for a repository manager to display and
> localize, but not for Maven's usage itself.
>
> - Brett

Re: Timestamped snapshots with local time

Matt Milliss
That make sense.

On 25/09/2009 4:16 AM, Brian Fox wrote:

> It really needs to be in a consistent TZ (GMT in this case) to allow
> people around the world to deploy snapshots and ensure that the
> timestamps always move forward in time.
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 5:19 AM, Brett Porter<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 24/09/2009, at 8:07 PM, Matt Milliss wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks Brett, it's not really a big issue, our deployment team just asked
>>> if
>>> it could be done so they could tell easily what time the latest build was
>>> deployed. To be honest I'm not really sure why they need it I just told
>>> them
>>> I'd find out if it could be done.
>>>
>> Cool. This is probably in scope for a repository manager to display and
>> localize, but not for Maven's usage itself.
>>
>> - Brett

Re: site-deploy using DAV with digest-auth

Marc Lustig
I tried using Mvn 2.2.1 and got the same error from the wagon plugin:

[INFO] [site:deploy {execution: default-deploy}]
WAGON_VERSION: 1.0-beta-2
http://ci1.xxx/test - Session: Opened
Uploading: ./css/maven-base.css to http://ci1.xxx/test

# Transfer error: org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpException: Unbuffered entity enclosing request can not be repeated.
http://ci1.xxx/test - Session: Disconnecting
http://ci1.xxx/test - Session: Disconnected
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Error uploading site

Embedded error: PUT request for: ./css/maven-base.css to maven-base.css failed
Unbuffered entity enclosing request can not be repeated.
----

I also tried using -X but got no more output to indicate the root cause.

brettporter wrote
> [...]

>        at
> org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.put
> (WebDavWagon.java:326)
>        at
> org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.putDirectory
> (WebDavWagon.java:555)
>        at
> org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.putDirectory
> (WebDavWagon.java:549)
>        at
> org.apache.maven.plugins.site.SiteDeployMojo.execute
> (SiteDeployMojo.java:184)
>        ... 18 more
> Caused by: org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpException: Unbuffered
> entity
> enclosing request can not be repeated.
>

> Is this problem related to the wagon-plugin?
> Is the wagon-plugin not compatible with digest auth ?

Re: site-deploy using DAV with digest-auth

It seems you have pegged the webdav provider to 1.0-beta-2.

I'd suggest removing that build extension, or replacing it with:

g: org.apache.maven.wagon
a: wagon-webdav-jackrabbit
v: 1.0-beta-6

Cheers,
Brett

On 25/09/2009, at 7:48 PM, Marc Lustig wrote:

> [...]
>>> org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.put
>>> (WebDavWagon.java:326)
>>>       at
>>> org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.putDirectory
>>> (WebDavWagon.java:555)
>>>       at
>>> org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.putDirectory
>>> (WebDavWagon.java:549)
>>>       at
>>> org.apache.maven.plugins.site.SiteDeployMojo.execute
>>> (SiteDeployMojo.java:184)
>>>       ... 18 more
>>> Caused by: org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpException: Unbuffered
>>> entity
>>> enclosing request can not be repeated.
>>>

>>> Is this problem related to the wagon-plugin?
>>> Is the wagon-plugin not compatible with digest auth ?

Re: site-deploy using DAV with digest-auth

thanks Brett,
I had a look in the httpd error_log. When using wagon-1.0-beta-2 the server logs:
Digest: client used wrong authentication scheme `Basic': /test/
Apparently, it simply doesn't support digest auth.

So I changed the extension to wagon-webdav-jackrabbit:1.0-beta-6 and now it works (after some adjustment of the httpd.conf).

brettporter wrote