scm:perform-release problem

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

scm:perform-release problem

Julian Wood
Hi,

I'm having a problem with scm:perform-release.

scm:prepare-release works fine - it tags and updates my files in my  
pserver repo properly.

scm:perform-release fails with what seems to be a bug:

scm:cvs-checkout-project:
     [echo] Checking out lccl; from CVSROOT:  
:pserver:[hidden email]:/Library/CVS; using tag:  
RELEASE_0_9_1
     [delete] Deleting directory  
/Volumes/Jaguar/Users/woodj/Documents/lccl/target/checkouts/lccl
     [mkdir] Created dir:  
/Volumes/Jaguar/Users/woodj/Documents/lccl/target/checkouts/lccl
     [cvs] Using cvs passfile: /Users/woodj/.cvspass
     [cvs] cvs checkout: in directory lccl:
     [cvs] cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such  
file or directory
     [cvs] cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot open CVS/Tag: No such file or  
directory

BUILD FAILED
File...... /Users/woodj/.maven/cache/maven-scm-plugin-1.4.1/plugin.jelly
Element... ant:cvs
Line...... 245
Column.... 9
cvs exited with error code 1
Command line was [Executing 'cvs' with arguments:
'-d:pserver:[hidden email]:/Library/CVS'
'-q'
'checkout'
'-P'
'-r'
'RELEASE_0_9_1'
'lccl'

Of course, the cvs command listed above works fine from the prompt.  
Any idea what gives? Workarounds? I saw one other message in the  
archives with the identical problem, but no replies  
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-maven- 
user&m=108050546204781&w=2). Should I go report a bug with major  
functionality missing?

I thought maybe the new scm plugin would have this problem fixed. So  
after some more frustration trying to figure out how to get this plugin  
installed (another story), I got it working, only to get the same  
error, albeit displayed somewhat differently.

scm:checkout:
     [echo] Checking out  
scm:cvs:pserver:[hidden email]:/Library/CVS:lccl; using tag:  
RELEASE_0_9_1
Provider message:
The cvs command failed.
Command output:
cvs checkout: in directory checkout:
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or  
directory
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot open CVS/Tag: No such file or directory


BUILD FAILED
File......  
/Users/woodj/.maven/cache/maven-scm-plugin-1.5-beta-3/plugin.jelly
Element... scm:checkout
Line...... 110
Column.... 167
Error!

So I'm off to see if I can fix the error myself in the scm plugin, but  
if I'm on the wrong track, please let me know! Thanks so much for any  
comments!

J


--
Julian Wood <[hidden email]>

Programmer/Analyst
University of Calgary

http://commons.ucalgary.ca


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: scm:perform-release problem

Julian Wood
Well, still having problems.

running maven -e scm:checkout fails with some more info:

BUILD FAILED
java.lang.Exception: Error!
         at  
org.apache.maven.plugins.scm.ScmBean.checkResult(ScmBean.java:117)
         at  
org.apache.maven.plugins.scm.ScmBean.checkout(ScmBean.java:96)
         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        ...

Now where is this source?

        http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/scm/

Only class files are available in the downloaded jar.

        http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/scm/downloads.html

The source repository, of course, skips the java files:

        http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/maven-1/plugins/trunk/scm/src/

I don't see a link to any sort of an anon cvs anywhere on the plugin  
site. Is there one for all plugins, perhaps?

And the source Xref points to a 1.5-beta-4-SNAPSHOT, which is not  
available for download anywhere (that I can find), and which of course  
doesn't correspond to the stack trace I have.

Wasn't maven created in the first place to avoid exactly these kinds of  
problems? What am I missing here?

Even looking at the code for ScmBean in the snapshot, I can see that  
the problem is actually in ScmManager.checkout(...), which is not even  
part of the scm plugin, but is part of maven-scm-api.jar, and probably  
ultimately will be in maven-scm-provider-cvs.jar, as I track down those  
projects.

Thanks for any input,

J







On 25-May-05, at 4:37 PM, Julian Wood wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a problem with scm:perform-release.
>
> scm:prepare-release works fine - it tags and updates my files in my  
> pserver repo properly.
>
> scm:perform-release fails with what seems to be a bug:
>
> scm:cvs-checkout-project:
>     [echo] Checking out lccl; from CVSROOT:  
> :pserver:[hidden email]:/Library/CVS; using tag:  
> RELEASE_0_9_1
>     [delete] Deleting directory  
> /Volumes/Jaguar/Users/woodj/Documents/lccl/target/checkouts/lccl
>     [mkdir] Created dir:  
> /Volumes/Jaguar/Users/woodj/Documents/lccl/target/checkouts/lccl
>     [cvs] Using cvs passfile: /Users/woodj/.cvspass
>     [cvs] cvs checkout: in directory lccl:
>     [cvs] cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such  
> file or directory
>     [cvs] cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot open CVS/Tag: No such file or  
> directory
>
> BUILD FAILED
> File......  
> /Users/woodj/.maven/cache/maven-scm-plugin-1.4.1/plugin.jelly
> Element... ant:cvs
> Line...... 245
> Column.... 9
> cvs exited with error code 1
> Command line was [Executing 'cvs' with arguments:
> '-d:pserver:[hidden email]:/Library/CVS'
> '-q'
> 'checkout'
> '-P'
> '-r'
> 'RELEASE_0_9_1'
> 'lccl'
>
> Of course, the cvs command listed above works fine from the prompt.  
> Any idea what gives? Workarounds? I saw one other message in the  
> archives with the identical problem, but no replies  
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-maven- 
> user&m=108050546204781&w=2). Should I go report a bug with major  
> functionality missing?
>
> I thought maybe the new scm plugin would have this problem fixed. So  
> after some more frustration trying to figure out how to get this  
> plugin installed (another story), I got it working, only to get the  
> same error, albeit displayed somewhat differently.
>
> scm:checkout:
>     [echo] Checking out  
> scm:cvs:pserver:[hidden email]:/Library/CVS:lccl; using  
> tag: RELEASE_0_9_1
> Provider message:
> The cvs command failed.
> Command output:
> cvs checkout: in directory checkout:
> cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or  
> directory
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot open CVS/Tag: No such file or directory
>
>
> BUILD FAILED
> File......  
> /Users/woodj/.maven/cache/maven-scm-plugin-1.5-beta-3/plugin.jelly
> Element... scm:checkout
> Line...... 110
> Column.... 167
> Error!
>
> So I'm off to see if I can fix the error myself in the scm plugin, but  
> if I'm on the wrong track, please let me know! Thanks so much for any  
> comments!
>
> J
>
--
Julian Wood <[hidden email]>

Programmer/Analyst
University of Calgary

http://commons.ucalgary.ca


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: scm:perform-release problem

Brett Porter
On 5/26/05, Julian Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And the source Xref points to a 1.5-beta-4-SNAPSHOT, which is not
> available for download anywhere (that I can find), and which of course
> doesn't correspond to the stack trace I have.
>
> Wasn't maven created in the first place to avoid exactly these kinds of
> problems? What am I missing here?

My mistake. I've held the code on a branch for way too long, and
didn't update the descriptor when publishing the site.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/maven-1/plugins/branches/scm-1.5-branch

I'll be trying to merge that back to trunk today.

You are correct, the SCM plugin is becoming a thin wrapper around the
maven-scm project. If you can try that:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/scm/trunk
It m ay give more insight into what is happening.

Maven SCM requires Maven 2.0 alpha-2 to build. Run m2 install at the
root (it will build all of the providers, if any fail, you can skip
straight to the cvs one since all the prerequesites will have been
built).

I was just replying to your other email. Can I confirm:
- are you on Mac OS X?
- what is the CVS client version there?
- do you have access to a different machine to try this on? (trying to
figure if it is your env, or your project that exhibits the bug)

Thanks,
Brett

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: scm:perform-release problem

Julian Wood
Hi Brett,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll follow up those leads.

On 25-May-05, at 5:41 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>
> I was just replying to your other email. Can I confirm:
> - are you on Mac OS X?

Yes.

> - what is the CVS client version there?

1.10 - I'll try the latest (1.11.20 or 1.12.12, it appears) ASAP. I was
assuming that since the cvs command maven says it is running actually
does run fine at the prompt (in the same env), that the problem was
elsewhere, but we'll see.

> - do you have access to a different machine to try this on? (trying to
> figure if it is your env, or your project that exhibits the bug)

Yes - I'll let you know what happens. Remember that scm:tag and
scm:update both work, so I'm not sure what in the env could affect
scm:checkout, but maybe you have a better idea.

Thanks,

J

--
Julian Wood <[hidden email]>

Programmer/Analyst
University of Calgary

http://commons.ucalgary.ca


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: scm:perform-release problem

Brett Porter
On 5/26/05, Julian Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1.10 - I'll try the latest (1.11.20 or 1.12.12, it appears) ASAP. I was
> assuming that since the cvs command maven says it is running actually
> does run fine at the prompt (in the same env), that the problem was
> elsewhere, but we'll see.

Cool, thanks. As you say, all Maven is doing is forking a cvs
instance, so it might be hard to get it to do anything differently.

> Yes - I'll let you know what happens. Remember that scm:tag and
> scm:update both work, so I'm not sure what in the env could affect
> scm:checkout, but maybe you have a better idea.

The main difference being the use of a target/checkouts directory for
checkout - can you check it is properly created, with permissions that
would allow writing?

HTH,
Brett

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: scm:perform-release problem

Julian Wood
On May 25, 2005, at 6:09 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 5/26/05, Julian Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 1.10 - I'll try the latest (1.11.20 or 1.12.12, it appears) ASAP. I
>> was
>> assuming that since the cvs command maven says it is running actually
>> does run fine at the prompt (in the same env), that the problem was
>> elsewhere, but we'll see.
>
> Cool, thanks. As you say, all Maven is doing is forking a cvs
> instance, so it might be hard to get it to do anything differently.
>

I'm happy to report that upgrading to cvs version 1.11.20 fixed the
problem!

Thanks,

J


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]