repo.maven.apache.org returning 403 forbidden when running maven

repo.maven.apache.org returning 403 forbidden when running maven

Henke, Zachary
Hello,

My name is Zach Henke and I work at Verisign. I am currently receiving ERROR 403: Forbidden when attempting to access http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/ via linux server. On that same server, I am able to access the maven website (http://maven.apache.org/) which indicates public internet access. I am able to reach http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/ in browser from my local machine on a different IP/network than the linux server. These points make me think there is a blacklist of IPs in front of the maven repo causing the 403 Forbidden from the linux server. Anyone know how to confirm my IP isn’t in a blacklist? Any other suggestions to avoid the repo 403 issue would be great.

Thanks,
Zach

Re: repo.maven.apache.org returning 403 forbidden when running maven

Anthony Whitford
Have you tried using https:  https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/ ?

On 30.12.19 15:04, Henke, Zachary wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Zach Henke and I work at Verisign. I am currently receiving ERROR 403: Forbidden when attempting to access http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/ via linux server. On that same server, I am able to access the maven website (http://maven.apache.org/) which indicates public internet access. I am able to reach http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/ in browser from my local machine on a different IP/network than the linux server.

This indicators implying more that you have to have a proxy access to
the central repository http://repo.maven.org/maven2/ which seemed to be
not given on the Linux machine....I suppose you have a proxy/firewall
issue...

Furthermore the questions is: Does your company has a repository manager
which is intended to download artifacts from central repository?

Accesses via browser are usually going through a proxy with particular
configurations in browsers...but the plain networks is something
different...

Can you simply ping:

ping repo.maven.apache.org

?

Can you do a:

nslookup repo.maven.apache.org ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

These points make me think there is a blacklist of IPs in front of the
maven repo causing the 403 Forbidden from the linux server. Anyone know
how to confirm my IP isn’t in a blacklist? Any other suggestions to
avoid the repo 403 issue would be great.

Can you give all details of the error message...in particular on command
line..

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

> Thanks,
> Zach

Re: repo.maven.apache.org returning 403 forbidden when running maven

Bernd Eckenfels
Hello,

If you suspect there is something it would require a ticket for Apache Infra I guess. But unless your Organisation got banned it’s more likely it’s a client side filter (proxy, firewall or appliance).

Did you look at the html source and possibly the http headers of that error response for any server names or other indications of origin. How is the error page Styled? Can you quote the HTML.

Can you read maven central?

Gruß
Bernd

--
https://Bernd.eckenfels.net

________________________________
My name is Zach Henke and I work at Verisign. I am currently receiving ERROR 403: Forbidden when attempting to access http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/ via linux server. On that same server, I am able to access the maven website (http://maven.apache.org/) which indicates public internet access. I am able to reach http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/ in browser from my local machine on a different IP/network than the linux server. These points make me think there is a blacklist of IPs in front of the maven repo causing the 403 Forbidden from the linux server. Anyone know how to confirm my IP isn’t in a blacklist? Any other suggestions to avoid the repo 403 issue would be great.

Thanks,
Zach

Re: repo.maven.apache.org returning 403 forbidden when running maven

Manfred Moser-4
HTTP has bee†n deprecated a while ago .. just use HTTPS.

See

https://central.sonatype.org/articles/2019/Nov/01/announcement-insecurerepo1mavenorg/

https://central.sonatype.org/articles/2019/Apr/30/http-access-to-repo1mavenorg-and-repomavenapacheorg-is-being-deprecated/

Manfred
https://www.simpligility.com

Henke, Zachary wrote on 2019-12-30 06:04 (GMT -08:00):

> Hello,
>
> My name is Zach Henke and I work at Verisign. I am currently receiving ERROR
> 403: Forbidden when attempting to access http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/
> via linux server. On that same server, I am able to access the maven website
> (http://maven.apache.org/) which indicates public internet access. I am able to
> reach http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/ in browser from my local machine on
> a different IP/network than the linux server. These points make me think there
> is a blacklist of IPs in front of the maven repo causing the 403 Forbidden from
> the linux server. Anyone know how to confirm my IP isn’t in a blacklist? Any
> other suggestions to avoid the repo 403 issue would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Zach

Re: repo.maven.apache.org returning 403 forbidden when running maven

Henke, Zachary
You may ignore this email. We found out that ~/.m2/settings.xml needed proxy configuration even though we were supplying HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY on CLI.

Zach