relativePath for parent poms in our plugins

relativePath for parent poms in our plugins

Mark Struberg-2
Hi folks!

Looking at massembler right now I stumbled across a parentPom section

<parent>
  <artifactId>maven-plugins</artifactId>
  <version>33</version>
  <relativePath>../../pom/maven/maven-plugins/pom.xml</relativePath>
</parent>

This was perfectly fine when we had all in SVN under one big project.
But nowadays - having all in GIT - I'd we should remove the relativePath, isn't?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: relativePath for parent poms in our plugins

Romain Manni-Bucau
Agree

Le jeu. 19 déc. 2019 à 12:14, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hi folks!
>
> Looking at massembler right now I stumbled across a parentPom section
>
> <parent>
>   <artifactId>maven-plugins</artifactId>
>   <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>   <version>33</version>
>   <relativePath>../../pom/maven/maven-plugins/pom.xml</relativePath>
> </parent>
>
> This was perfectly fine when we had all in SVN under one big project.
> But nowadays - having all in GIT - I'd we should remove the relativePath,
> isn't?
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Re: relativePath for parent poms in our plugins

how does the current relativePath work less than without it?
Does it really break anything more than just "people don't understand the
value" then consider it "wrong"?

in addition, I know that intermittent Maven contributor will clone only one
Git repository, but I personally work on every Maven Git repository on many
computers: being able to clone and update everything easily is key to me

Le samedi 21 décembre 2019, 14:29:17 CET Romain Manni-Bucau a écrit :

> Agree with Robert, git clone && mvn install must always work and be
> straight forward if we want people to be able to help/work imho.
>
> Le sam. 21 déc. 2019 à 13:33, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> a
>
> écrit :
> > that only works for the very, very few that uses this repository.
> > It should work as to how contributors work with it, otherwise you'll see
> > other issues compared to them.
> >
> > Robert
> > On 21-12-2019 12:33:53, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > disagree
> >
> > We have the repo configuration which brings a location for every Git
> > repository:
> > https://maven.apache.org/scm.html
> > or https://github.com/apache/maven-sources/
> >
> > The relative paths are calculated against that.
> > And I recently even added aggregator poms to build absolutely everything
> > in
> > one unique build
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le jeudi 19 décembre 2019, 12:13:56 CET Mark Struberg a écrit :
> > > Hi folks!
> > >
> > > Looking at massembler right now I stumbled across a parentPom section
> > >

> > > maven-plugins
> > > org.apache.maven.plugins
> > > 33
> > > ../../pom/maven/maven-plugins/pom.xml
> > >

> > > This was perfectly fine when we had all in SVN under one big project.
> > > But nowadays - having all in GIT - I'd we should remove the
> > > relativePath,
> > > isn't?
> > >
> > > LieGrue,
> > > strub

Re: relativePath for parent poms in our plugins

Romain Manni-Bucau
Le sam. 21 déc. 2019 à 15:03, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> how does the current relativePath work less than without it?
> Does it really break anything more than just "people don't understand the
> value" then consider it "wrong"?

Well, it is unlikely but it can break the build yes, at least if it exists.
It is also not friendly for newcomers cause not obvious.

> in addition, I know that intermittent Maven contributor will clone only
> one
> Git repository, but I personally work on every Maven Git repository on
> many
> computers: being able to clone and update everything easily is key to me

Not sure I see how it changes anything :s. Assume we drop it, then you can
still do all that (it is top-down and not down-top afaik).

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le samedi 21 décembre 2019, 14:29:17 CET Romain Manni-Bucau a écrit :
> > Agree with Robert, git clone && mvn install must always work and be
> > straight forward if we want people to be able to help/work imho.
> >
> > Le sam. 21 déc. 2019 à 13:33, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> a
> >
> > écrit :
> > > that only works for the very, very few that uses this repository.
> > > It should work as to how contributors work with it, otherwise you'll
> see
> > > other issues compared to them.
> > >
> > > Robert
> > > On 21-12-2019 12:33:53, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > disagree
> > >
> > > We have the repo configuration which brings a location for every Git
> > > repository:
> > > https://maven.apache.org/scm.html
> > > or https://github.com/apache/maven-sources/
> > >
> > > The relative paths are calculated against that.
> > > And I recently even added aggregator poms to build absolutely
> everything
> > > in
> > > one unique build
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Hervé

Re: relativePath for parent poms in our plugins

Mark Struberg-2
To be honest, I didn't even know that there is a 'main project' with tons of git-submodules to emulate our old maven master build.

I still wonder whether it has any benefit to have the relativePath in our plugins.
It is useful if you have a reactor build where maven then knows how to search for other dependencies and figures what other parts to build. But I do not really see this for multiple reasons:

* We don't have any snapshot but a fixed version of the parent maven-plugins:33 (and other versions) in every plugin. That means they won't use the 'is-a' in aggregator-style anyway
* That means the parent pom is merely a 'build-pom' but not much more. I
* Even if we would upgrade every plugin to use the latest snapshot of our maven-plugins parent pom we would not add much. It would still build fine without having a relativePath section. And we would not gain much from keeping relativePath because we barely have dependencies between our plugins.

Hervé, others did I overlook something?

And sorry for starting this discussion. It's totally unimportant if we keep it or not. I'm fine both ways, it just looked like something we missed to remove when we moved from the maven-plugins sparse tree in SVN over to single GIT repos for each and every single maven plugin.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 21.12.2019 um 18:38 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>
> Le sam. 21 déc. 2019 à 15:03, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> how does the current relativePath work less than without it?
>> Does it really break anything more than just "people don't understand the
>> value" then consider it "wrong"?
>>

> Well, it is unlikely but it can break the build yes, at least if it exists.
> It is also not friendly for newcomers cause not obvious.
>

>> in addition, I know that intermittent Maven contributor will clone only
>> one
>> Git repository, but I personally work on every Maven Git repository on
>> many
>> computers: being able to clone and update everything easily is key to me
>>

> Not sure I see how it changes anything :s. Assume we drop it, then you can
> still do all that (it is top-down and not down-top afaik).
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé
>>
>> Le samedi 21 décembre 2019, 14:29:17 CET Romain Manni-Bucau a écrit :
>>> Agree with Robert, git clone && mvn install must always work and be
>>> straight forward if we want people to be able to help/work imho.

>> see

>> everything

Re: relativePath for parent poms in our plugins

Hervé BOUTEMY
Le samedi 21 décembre 2019, 19:22:42 CET Mark Struberg a écrit :
> To be honest, I didn't even know that there is a 'main project' with tons of
> git-submodules to emulate our old maven master build.
yes, I imagine, I did not make much noise about it :)

It's not about emulating an old master build, but getting a full Maven build:
Maven is the sum of every part we maintain.

And it's about sharing a view of our global code:
  https://maven.apache.org/scm.html#Maven_Sources_Overview
= what I needed when explaining our code structure to new contributors during
Paris Hackergarten, because they immediately cloned Maven core

> I still wonder whether it has any benefit to have the relativePath in our
> plugins. It is useful if you have a reactor build where maven then knows
> how to search for other dependencies and figures what other parts to build.
> But I do not really see this for multiple reasons:
>
> * We don't have any snapshot but a fixed version of the parent
> maven-plugins:33 (and other versions) in every plugin. That means they
> won't use the 'is-a' in aggregator-style anyway * That means the parent pom
> is merely a 'build-pom' but not much more. I * Even if we would upgrade
> every plugin to use the latest snapshot of our maven-plugins parent pom we
> would not add much. It would still build fine without having a relativePath
> section. And we would not gain much from keeping relativePath because we
> barely have dependencies between our plugins.
>
> Hervé, others did I overlook something?
I concur the parent relative path is useful only when want to use SNAPSHOT
parents. But the fact that we currently rarely use SNAPSHOT parent is to me
just a proof that we don't test parent POMs before releasing them, the site
taken apart (since we want to benefit from developers sections updates
independently from maven-parent releases).

> And sorry for starting this discussion. It's totally unimportant if we keep
> it or not. I'm fine both ways, it just looked like something we missed to
> remove when we moved from the maven-plugins sparse tree in SVN over to
> single GIT repos for each and every single maven plugin.
Yes, keeping these parent relativePath or not is not that important, if we
don't really use them: what is important to me is to share our global code
structure.
This parent relative path is an opportunity to add a comment to point to