Quantcast

proxy definition in settings.xml not used by M2Eclipse

proxy definition in settings.xml not used by M2Eclipse

houzecl
Hi,

we are using 0.9.6
we specify M2Eclipse preferences as seen in screen capture below

In our settings.xml we dont specify any proxy access, therefore when an mvn verify is done outside of eclipse there is no download from internet

We'd expect m2eclipse to do the same as we specify OUR Maven installation to be used and not the embedded installation.

However M2Eclipse seems to use the Eclipse preferences for proxy usage (i.e. if Network Connection in eclipse preferences specify a proxy, this is used by M2Eclipse)

This behaviour leads to unwanted LOCAL downloads (hardly detected, as the M2Eclipse log can easily be lost or not read)

Is this a known feature ? can it be avoided ?

Thanks,

Christian-Luc

Re: proxy definition in settings.xml not used by M2Eclipse

Igor Fedorenko-3
There are currently two separate scenarios.

When m2e runs maven inside eclipse vm, during eclipse build or project
import, for example, it always uses embedded maven runtime and eclipse
proxy settings. Please open enhancement request in JIRA [1] if you want
to configure this independently, but I am not certain we can actually do
much about it.

When m2e runs maven build in external JVM (i.e., Run As/Maven...), it
will use configured maven installation and will obey maven settings.

[1] https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MNGECLIPSE

Igor

houzecl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are using 0.9.6
> we specify M2Eclipse preferences as seen in screen capture below
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p22685308/m2eclipsepref.png
>
> In our settings.xml we dont specify any proxy access, therefore when an mvn
> verify is done outside of eclipse there is no download from internet
>
> We'd expect m2eclipse to do the same as we specify OUR Maven installation to
> be used and not the embedded installation.
>
> However M2Eclipse seems to use the Eclipse preferences for proxy usage (i.e.
> if Network Connection in eclipse preferences specify a proxy, this is used
> by M2Eclipse)
>
> This behaviour leads to unwanted LOCAL downloads (hardly detected, as the
> M2Eclipse log can easily be lost or not read)
>
> Is this a known feature ? can it be avoided ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Christian-Luc

Re: proxy definition in settings.xml not used by M2Eclipse

Eugene Kuleshov
Igor Fedorenko wrote:
> There are currently two separate scenarios.
>
> When m2e runs maven inside eclipse vm, during eclipse build or project
> import, for example, it always uses embedded maven runtime and eclipse
> proxy settings.
  I am afraid it is a bit more complicated then that. As far as I know
both, the wagon component used by Maven and Eclipse proxy configuration
set the System property used for proxy configuration (the old way before
Java 5 introduced the proper api for proxy), so they are most likely
both fighting for it or conflicting.
> Please open enhancement request in JIRA [1] if you want to configure
> this independently, but I am not certain we can actually do much about
> it.
  The fix should replace the wagon manager plexus component and pass the
Eclipse settings instead of using stuff from the settings.xml. Though
that all may not be applicable wot the new mercury component, in case if
it did it right and is not using the system properties anymore.

  regards,
  Eugene