Quantcast

profile activation on property set but !value vs property not set

profile activation on property set but !value vs property not set

Justin Georgeson
Seeing that I can ! the property value in a profile activation, I assumed there were three states to consider when evaluating the property activation:

    1. Property not set
    2. Property set and value does not match
    3. Property set and value does match

With this assumption I thought that with profiles such as these

    <profiles>
        <profile>
            <id>default-reactor</id>
        </profile>
        <profile>
            <id>platform-reactor</id>
        </profile>
        <profile>
            <id>all-platforms-reactor</id>
        </profile>
    </profiles>

I would only see one of the three profiles active at a time. However when I run Maven 'mvn help:active-profiles' with no 'platform' property then both the 'default-reactor' and 'platform-reactor' are active. When I set the 'platform' property then I see the behavior I expected. Looking at the source

https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/38300cf2832e9a40198091aa9e0bf6d3dbc3268d/maven-model-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/model/profile/activation/PropertyProfileActivator.java#L95

It's doing a string compare of the activation's declared property value against the context's property value, but it's not checking the context has a property set. But I would infer from the comment on L94 ("we have a value, so it has to match the system value...") that an unset property should not match a !value activation.

Should I open a JIRA issue as a bug, or as a feature request?

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

Re: profile activation on property set but !value vs property not set

Guillaume Boué-2
Hi,

means that the profile will be active when the system property
"platform" is not defined, or is defined with a value different than
"all". Put another way, it is always active unless "platform" is equal
to "all". This explains your observations, where both platform-reactor
and default-reactor are active when the system property isn't set.

There was the JIRA MNGSITE-293, in which the documentation was clarified
to reflect this.

Guillaume

Le 12/03/2017 à 05:00, Justin Georgeson a écrit :

> Seeing that I can ! the property value in a profile activation, I assumed there were three states to consider when evaluating the property activation:
>
>      1. Property not set
>      2. Property set and value does not match
>      3. Property set and value does match
>
> With this assumption I thought that with profiles such as these
>
>      <profiles>
>          <profile>
>              <id>default-reactor</id>
>          </profile>
>          <profile>
>              <id>platform-reactor</id>
>          </profile>
>          <profile>
>              <id>all-platforms-reactor</id>
>          </profile>
>      </profiles>
>
> I would only see one of the three profiles active at a time. However when I run Maven 'mvn help:active-profiles' with no 'platform' property then both the 'default-reactor' and 'platform-reactor' are active. When I set the 'platform' property then I see the behavior I expected. Looking at the source
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/38300cf2832e9a40198091aa9e0bf6d3dbc3268d/maven-model-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/model/profile/activation/PropertyProfileActivator.java#L95
>
> It's doing a string compare of the activation's declared property value against the context's property value, but it's not checking the context has a property set. But I would infer from the comment on L94 ("we have a value, so it has to match the system value...") that an unset property should not match a !value activation.
>
> Should I open a JIRA issue as a bug, or as a feature request?

> This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

---