plugin:descriptor fails with java.util.NoSuchElementException

plugin:descriptor fails with java.util.NoSuchElementException

sometimes the maven-plugin-plugin fails to write the plugin descriptor and
exits with the exception below.
I see the same unreliable behavior on our Jenkins servers too, re-running
often fixes the issue.
I have seen the issue several times locally when running with mvn.cmd, so
far never with mvnDebug.cmd and always running with default #threads.
I can't find a reason why elementStack[1] gets out of sync.

If there are others experiencing the same or similar issues, please share
your analysis.
Hopefully we can solve this instability issue soon.

thanks,
Robert

[1]
http://codehaus-plexus.github.io/plexus-utils/xref/org/codehaus/plexus/util/xml/PrettyPrintXMLWriter.html#L40

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor
(default-descriptor) on project maven-javadoc-plugin: Execution
default-descriptor of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor failed.
NoSuchElementException -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute
goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor
(default-descriptor) on project maven-javadoc-plugin: Execution
default-descriptor of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor failed

Caused by: java.util.NoSuchElementException
     at java.util.LinkedList.removeLast (LinkedList.java:281)
     at org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.PrettyPrintXMLWriter.endElement
(PrettyPrintXMLWriter.java:297)
     at
org.apache.maven.tools.plugin.generator.PluginDescriptorGenerator.writeDescriptor
(PluginDescriptorGenerator.java:175)

Re: plugin:descriptor fails with java.util.NoSuchElementException

Gabriel Belingueres-2
Hi Robert:

I'm testing it and getting *consistently* the same exception with this
config:

Apache Maven 3.6.0 (97c98ec64a1fdfee7767ce5ffb20918da4f719f3;
2018-10-24T15:41:47-03:00)
Maven home: C:\productos\apache-maven-3.6.0\bin\..
Java version: 1.7.0_80, vendor: Oracle Corporation, runtime: C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_80\jre
Default locale: es_AR, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows 8.1", version: "6.3", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"

(actually it is a win 10 but it fails to recognze it).

It works OK when remote debugging with mvnDebug.

Don't know why throws a NoSuchElementException when trying to remove an
element on a non empty LinkedList...my best guess is that it is some sort
of bug in the hotspot optimization of the JVM.

Which Java 7 specific update is running on Jenkins?

Gabriel

El mar., 27 de nov. de 2018 a la(s) 17:52, Robert Scholte (
[hidden email]) escribió:

> Hi,
>
> sometimes the maven-plugin-plugin fails to write the plugin descriptor
> and
> exits with the exception below.
> I see the same unreliable behavior on our Jenkins servers too, re-running
> often fixes the issue.
> I have seen the issue several times locally when running with mvn.cmd, so
> far never with mvnDebug.cmd and always running with default #threads.
> I can't find a reason why elementStack[1] gets out of sync.
>
> If there are others experiencing the same or similar issues, please share
> your analysis.
> Hopefully we can solve this instability issue soon.
>
> thanks,
> Robert
>
> [1]
>
> http://codehaus-plexus.github.io/plexus-utils/xref/org/codehaus/plexus/util/xml/PrettyPrintXMLWriter.html#L40
>

> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor
> (default-descriptor) on project maven-javadoc-plugin: Execution
> default-descriptor of goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor failed.
> NoSuchElementException -> [Help 1]
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute
> goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor
> (default-descriptor) on project maven-javadoc-plugin: Execution
> default-descriptor of goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor failed
>

> Caused by: java.util.NoSuchElementException
>      at java.util.LinkedList.removeLast (LinkedList.java:281)
>      at org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.PrettyPrintXMLWriter.endElement
> (PrettyPrintXMLWriter.java:297)
>      at
> org.apache.maven.tools.plugin.generator.PluginDescriptorGenerator.writeDescriptor
>
> (PluginDescriptorGenerator.java:175)

Re: plugin:descriptor fails with java.util.NoSuchElementException

wow, nice idea
I noticed the issue for a long time, but never figured out the link with Java
7 nor this idea of fix that is so "magic"...

thank you for the help