overriding central repository

De Mello, Paul
Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I have overridden the central repository in my pom (with a corporate artifactory repo).  On a clean .m2, when I run mvn package, all of my dependencies download from this artifactory repo. Perfect.  During this process all of the Downloaded/Downloading logs show something like:
"Downloading from central: https://artifactory....."

Alternatively: On a clean .m2, when I instead run mvn dependency:go-offline, my dependencies *start* downloading from my artifactory repo.  After several dependencies are downloaded, I start to see a change, and this process starts to download from the *original* central repo.  It's as if the override has gone stale somehow.

So my logs start out looking like this:
"Downloading from central: https://artifactory....."
And in the middle of the run, after several successful downloads, shift to looking like this:
"Downloading from central: https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2...."

This causes problems in my case, as this public repo is blocked for me.

Why is dependency:go-offline ignoring my override of the central repo, after a certain point? What am I doing wrong?

(Also: I have seen many people discouraging the override of a repo in pom.xml, rather than settings.xml...  so if that will solve it, then I am open to that..   However, I thought it would still *work* if I specified the override in the pom).

Thanks,
Paul

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.
First Republic Bank and its related entities do not take responsibility for, or accept time-sensitive instructions sent by email including orders, funds transfer instructions or stop payments on checks. All instructions of this nature must be handled by direct communication, not email.
We reserve the right to monitor and review the content of all email communications sent or received. Emails sent to or from this address may be stored in accordance with regulatory requirements.

Re: overriding central repository

michaelo
Am 2020-12-29 um 20:04 schrieb De Mello, Paul:
> Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this.
>
> I have overridden the central repository in my pom (with a corporate artifactory repo).  On a clean .m2, when I run mvn package, all of my dependencies download from this artifactory repo. Perfect.  During this process all of the Downloaded/Downloading logs show something like:
> "Downloading from central: https://artifactory....."

No, you never override central in your POM. See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6772.

Change your approach.

RE: overriding central repository

De Mello, Paul
Ok, that's fine, I can change the approach. Overriding central through settings.xml works great.

So, is it that any overriding of repos, through poms, is bad, (say if I define a "hello" repo in a parent pom, then override it in a child pom).  Or is this strictly about central?

Thanks,
Paul

Am 2020-12-29 um 20:04 schrieb De Mello, Paul:
> Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this.
>
> I have overridden the central repository in my pom (with a corporate artifactory repo).  On a clean .m2, when I run mvn package, all of my dependencies download from this artifactory repo. Perfect.  During this process all of the Downloaded/Downloading logs show something like:
> "Downloading from central: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__artifactory&d=DwIC-g&c=wmXzi2agfy7gEs3kYxhhNlK5YqQ_XRgfPhjt-qqffT8&r=kRHPqWn6-c3RZW3wTw1VyXFJyamBS8uEvl_tMNQh2oQ&m=5H5WB8NOe6sctIYTO8VO1OPeA4Na9E_T2KnLbRI5XkU&s=EN8CZcZcX-xeAKxxrdsCNuUH3EB0TCakZVzHqW8Y8Lk&e= ....."

No, you never override central in your POM. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_MNG-2D6772&d=DwIC-g&c=wmXzi2agfy7gEs3kYxhhNlK5YqQ_XRgfPhjt-qqffT8&r=kRHPqWn6-c3RZW3wTw1VyXFJyamBS8uEvl_tMNQh2oQ&m=5H5WB8NOe6sctIYTO8VO1OPeA4Na9E_T2KnLbRI5XkU&s=v7OnHuMNvktgQwY7cJAvbDFIfrGoalmpUZ9Roucuk10&e= .

Change your approach.

Am 2020-12-30 um 18:07 schrieb De Mello, Paul:
> Ok, that's fine, I can change the approach. Overriding central through settings.xml works great.
>
> So, is it that any overriding of repos, through poms, is bad, (say if I define a "hello" repo in a parent pom, then override it in a child pom).  Or is this strictly about central?

Not just central, but in general. Overriding repositories can lead to
unpredictable builds. If someone publishes a POM with a repo he/she
provides some contract with it. As soon as you override logically static
parts you are breaking this contract. When they are legit reasons to do
this you should file an issue describing your usecase and why this is a
way to go.