outputTimestamp affects project's assemblies

outputTimestamp affects project's assemblies

Lukasz Lenart
Hi,

I used to prepared a new test build for Apache Struts 2.5.23 and one of our committers noticed that the timestamps in the assemblies (zip files with libs, src, etc) have been set to a strange date from January.
After investigating further we found the core issue [1] - as we use Apache Master Pom ver. 22 and we do not set outputTimestamp in project's parent pom, the value was inherited from [1].

My question is: what should we do? Do we need to manually set the outputTimestamp each time we are preparing a build as shown here [2]? Is there a way to generate this timestamp automatically when a new release is prepared and tagged?

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven-apache-parent/blob/apache-22/pom.xml#L95
[2] https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-reproducible-builds.html

Thanks in advance
Łukasz

Re: outputTimestamp affects project's assemblies

Lukasz Lenart
You can follow the whole discussion and investigation in the Struts Dev List here [1]

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rc65b7072c5eaf1a4dbe1b4202efe5274ff2a466fb8bc21d30cd24ed1%40%3Cdev.struts.apache.org%3E

Regards
Łukasz

Re: outputTimestamp affects project's assemblies

as written in the documentation [2], you just need to add the property in your
root POM, and maven-release-plugin (if upgraded to 3.0.0-M1) will take care of
updating its value during release

I'm interested in any update in the doc to make this more clear, given it
seems it is not yet

On 2020/07/08 22:12:04, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> as written in the documentation [2], you just need to add the property in your
> root POM, and maven-release-plugin (if upgraded to 3.0.0-M1) will take care of
> updating its value during release
>
> I'm interested in any update in the doc to make this more clear, given it
> seems it is not yet

I missed the FAQ section, sorry for that :(

As far I understood, I must define the property with a value "now" as mentioned in the ticket [1]

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRELEASE-1029

Thank you!

On 2020/07/11 17:38:32, Lukasz Lenart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As far I understood, I must define the property with a value "now" as mentioned in the ticket [1]
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRELEASE-1029

maven-jar-plugin doesn't accept "now" value :\

Regards
Łukasz

Re: outputTimestamp affects project's assemblies

Hervé BOUTEMY
Le samedi 11 juillet 2020, 20:38:28 CEST Lukasz Lenart a écrit :
> On 2020/07/11 17:38:32, Lukasz Lenart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > As far I understood, I must define the property with a value "now" as
> > mentioned in the ticket [1]
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRELEASE-1029
>
> maven-jar-plugin doesn't accept "now" value :\
as stated in https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-reproducible-builds.html, you put an explicit value once, and it will be updated
automatically my maven-release-plugin: you won't need to to anything

I'll update the page, eventually removing the link to the Jira issue, to make
clear that you don't need to do anything: the maven-release-plugin will do the
job