old version of dependencies getting included into project

old version of dependencies getting included into project

Jonathan Yom-Tov
hi,

I have a fairly large project which compiles to a war file. I've upgraded
the jackson dependency to 2.7.3 but for some reason 2.4.3 and 2.4.0 jar
files are included into the war file in addition to the 2.7.3 version. I
ran mvn dependency:tree to figure out the reason but the old versions don't
appear there. They also don't appear in the build log. I deleted the old
versions from my local maven repo. Didn't help. Any ideas on how to figure
this out?

thanks,
Jon.

RE: old version of dependencies getting included into project

Golan, Yaron
Hi Jon,
This scenario is very strange.

Are you absolutely sure that the mvn dependency:tree didn't print it out?

I have a fairly large project which compiles to a war file. I've upgraded the jackson dependency to 2.7.3 but for some reason 2.4.3 and 2.4.0 jar files are included into the war file in addition to the 2.7.3 version. I ran mvn dependency:tree to figure out the reason but the old versions don't appear there. They also don't appear in the build log. I deleted the old versions from my local maven repo. Didn't help. Any ideas on how to figure this out?

thanks,
Jon.

RE: old version of dependencies getting included into project

Jonathan Yom-Tov
100%, grep does not lie :-)

 There's also something else that's strange: as a workaround I tried to add
a packagingExcludes section to the pom.xml but the unwanted jars were still
included.

On Mar 15, 2018 08:37, "Golan, Yaron" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
> This scenario is very strange.
>
> Are you absolutely sure that the mvn dependency:tree didn't print it out?

Anders Hammar
Could it be that it's a different groupId for all these jackson artifacts?
That what explain why there are several different version for the same
library as Maven sees it as different coordinates.

I would check the jars and see if there's pom in them which would anser
this.
Also, I would make sure to upgrade the war plugin to the latest version. It
could be a bug.

/Anders

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 7:45 AM, Jonathan Yom-Tov <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> 100%, grep does not lie :-)
>
>  There's also something else that's strange: as a workaround I tried to add
> a packagingExcludes section to the pom.xml but the unwanted jars were still
> included.
>

> On Mar 15, 2018 08:37, "Golan, Yaron" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jon,
> > This scenario is very strange.
> >
> > Are you absolutely sure that the mvn dependency:tree didn't print it out?

Martin Hoeller
Hi!

On 14 Mar 2018, Jonathan Yom-Tov wrote:

> I have a fairly large project which compiles to a war file. I've upgraded
> the jackson dependency to 2.7.3 but for some reason 2.4.3 and 2.4.0 jar
> files are included into the war file in addition to the 2.7.3 version. I
> ran mvn dependency:tree to figure out the reason but the old versions don't
> appear there. They also don't appear in the build log. I deleted the old
> versions from my local maven repo. Didn't help. Any ideas on how to figure
> this out?

Did you do a "mvn clean" after upgrading?
Maybe the old JARs just didn't get purged from you build directory.

hth,
- martin

Re: old version of dependencies getting included into project

Jonathan Yom-Tov
One of the jars is jackson core, I'm trying to upgrade from 2.4.3 to 2.7.3.
It looks like the coordinates are identical.

I tried upgrading the war plugin to 3.2.0, but that didn't help.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 9:07 AM, Anders Hammar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could it be that it's a different groupId for all these jackson artifacts?
> That what explain why there are several different version for the same
> library as Maven sees it as different coordinates.
>
> I would check the jars and see if there's pom in them which would anser
> this.
> Also, I would make sure to upgrade the war plugin to the latest version. It
> could be a bug.
>
> /Anders
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 7:45 AM, Jonathan Yom-Tov <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 100%, grep does not lie :-)
> >
> >  There's also something else that's strange: as a workaround I tried to
> add
> > a packagingExcludes section to the pom.xml but the unwanted jars were
> still
> > included.
> >

> > On Mar 15, 2018 08:37, "Golan, Yaron" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jon,
> > > This scenario is very strange.
> > >
> > > Are you absolutely sure that the mvn dependency:tree didn't print it
> out?

I'm running `mvn clean package` every time (plus I deleted the old version
of the jar form my local repo), so I don't think that's it.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 9:14 AM, Martin Hoeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 14 Mar 2018, Jonathan Yom-Tov wrote:
>
> > I have a fairly large project which compiles to a war file. I've upgraded
> > the jackson dependency to 2.7.3 but for some reason 2.4.3 and 2.4.0 jar
> > files are included into the war file in addition to the 2.7.3 version. I
> > ran mvn dependency:tree to figure out the reason but the old versions
> don't
> > appear there. They also don't appear in the build log. I deleted the old
> > versions from my local maven repo. Didn't help. Any ideas on how to
> figure
> > this out?
>
> Did you do a "mvn clean" after upgrading?
> Maybe the old JARs just didn't get purged from you build directory.
>
> hth,
> - martin

Re: old version of dependencies getting included into project

Anders Hammar
It's close to impossible to tell what the problem is without a test project
showing the issue.

/Anders

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Jonathan Yom-Tov <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running `mvn clean package` every time (plus I deleted the old version
> of the jar form my local repo), so I don't think that's it.
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 9:14 AM, Martin Hoeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > On 14 Mar 2018, Jonathan Yom-Tov wrote:
> >
> > > I have a fairly large project which compiles to a war file. I've
> upgraded
> > > the jackson dependency to 2.7.3 but for some reason 2.4.3 and 2.4.0 jar
> > > files are included into the war file in addition to the 2.7.3 version.
> > > ran mvn dependency:tree to figure out the reason but the old versions
> > don't
> > > appear there. They also don't appear in the build log. I deleted the
> old
> > > versions from my local maven repo. Didn't help. Any ideas on how to
> > figure
> > > this out?
> >
> > Did you do a "mvn clean" after upgrading?
> > Maybe the old JARs just didn't get purged from you build directory.
> >
> > hth,
> > - martin

Re: old version of dependencies getting included into project

Stephen Coy-4
I’ve seen this happen when you have WAR overlays.

All dependency management seems to go out the window when using overlays.

Steve C