mvn dependency:purge-local-repository fails to resolve, but subsequent mvn dependency:go-offline succeeds

mvn dependency:purge-local-repository fails to resolve, but subsequent mvn dependency:go-offline succeeds

mkarg
Using Maven since 10+ years, we have a strange problem with MVN 3.5.0.

What we want to achieve is to ensure that all dependencies are latest version, even if somebody did a bad thing and replaced a release version in Nexus.

So we type:

mvn dependency:purge-local-repository

This fails to re-resolve some of the artifacts in our POM (but not specific artifacts; always different ones!).

But when we then (yes, directly subsequent) type:

mvn dependency:go-offline

it perfectly re-resolves and downloads everything -yes, even the failing ones- from Nexus.

This is driving us nuts!

Is that a bug or are we completely misunderstanding the concept of these commands?

-Markus