merging MNG-6308 display packaging

Hervé BOUTEMY
is there a seconder for this enhancement?

CI: https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-3.x-jenkinsfile/
job/MNG-6308_display_packaging/

Jira issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6308

Re: merging MNG-6308 display packaging

rfscholte
On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 18:38:55 +0100, Stephen Connolly
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun 10 Dec 2017 at 17:12, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 17:46:10 +0100, Hervé BOUTEMY
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> > yes, I *really* want this info: the precise details on how to display
>> it
>> > is
>> > less important

>> > the idea is that ${project.packaging} drives the default build, before
>> > additional plugins bindings: it's useful to display it as it is a key
>> > info

>> > how do you want to proceed to choose the best display?
>>
>> Is it acceptable to add it to the "Reactor Build Order"? It has enough
>> space for this kind of information.
>

> I’d like it in both places. ;-)

Seems like I'm one of the few who doesn't understand what this info adds.
If it says pom, it'll run *at least* the m-install-p and m-deploy-p.
If I only see the m-install-p and m-deploy-p being executed, it must be a
pom.
In general I can see by the name what will happen.

If we're discussing module "header" information:
What I am missing is a timestamp when the module started.
Reason: in case of a long build I would like to be able to estimate if the
build is still active or hanging.
Also in some cases I would like to see GAV instead of the name, because
that can help investigating in case of a multimodule project when there
are issues with some dependency (=GAV).

So there's enough to think of to fill an extra row ;)