maven-site-plugin: Generating (X)HTML5 instead of XHTML - how?

maven-site-plugin: Generating (X)HTML5 instead of XHTML - how?

Graham Leggett
Hi all,

According to the docs at https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/examples/creating-content.html "Note that Doxia also supports several output formats, the site plugin only creates XHTML”.

I would like the maven-site-plugin to have the option to output HTML5 (or XHTML5 to be more specific), and from what I can see, maven-site-plugin cannot do this today. (correct?)

To support this, I am understanding that the following needs to get done:

- Create an XHTML5 sink for Doxia.
- Teach the maven-site-plugin to optionally use the XHTML5 sink if specified in the skin. (or make in mandatory for maven-site-plugin v4.x?)
- (Possibly?) Extend Doxia to support new (X)HTML5 tags.

My question is - am I on the right track? Is there some other work to support HTML5 that I may have missed?

Regards,
Graham

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: maven-site-plugin: Generating (X)HTML5 instead of XHTML - how?

Graham Leggett
On 15 Apr 2018, at 1:29 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes, this will require a xhtml5 Doxia sink
>
> since each skin defines a site template as direct html source (without Doxia
> interaction), the maven-site-plugin switch from xhtml to xhtml5 would have to
> be done on configuration from the skin: looks like a good addition to skin
> model [1]
>
> finally, adding tags seems mode complex: Doxia is about having a common API for
> every format. Perhaps propose an example and we'll see

Thank you for confirming I’m on the right track.

I got here as I was trying to develop a maven skin based on an HTML5 template, and I couldn’t find a clean way of getting HTML5 tags through the site plugin.

Let me see what I can come up with.