Quantcast

maven ear plugin - simple example

Dave Levitt
I am having trouble using the ear plugin [version 2.5] with Maven
3.0.3, to create an EAR file for a simple stateless ejb.

I've tried the javaee 6 archetype from mojo - that seems to be just
for the ear module of a multi-module application - accordingly, I've
tried both single and multi module configurations but so far neither
has worked. I've tried following an example I've located at
http://agoncal.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/because-i-always-forget-how-to-use-maven-ear-plugin/
but I'm getting an empty ear file

I want to create a complete example that could be added to the usage
page for the plugin.

So, assuming that we want to package one java ee 6 Stateless Session
Bean [annotated @Stateless, one public method returning a fixed
String] like

package org.apache.maven.example;

import javax.ejb.Stateless;

@Stateless
public class Foo{
  public String getTest(){
      return "test";
  }
}

And assuming that a multi module layout is used [parent, ejb module,
ear module] what should the pom for the ear module look like?

My [non working] example currently looks like

<project>
<parent>
  <groupId>org.apache.example<groupId>
  <artifactId>jee6eartest</artifactId>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT<version>
</parent>

<artifactId>fooEar</artifactId>

<dependancies>
 <dependency>
   <groupId>org.apache.example<groupId>
   <artifactId>fooejb</artifactId>
   <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT<version>
   <type>ejb</type
 </dependency>
</dependancies>

<build>
 <plugins>
   <plugin>
     <artifactId>maven.ear.plugin</artifactId>
     <version>2.5</version>
     <configuration>
        <version>6</version> <!--- Java EE spec version???? -->
        <modules>
           <ejbModule>
             groupId>org.apache.example<groupId>
             <artifactId>fooejb</artifactId>
           </ejbModule>
        </modules>
     </configuration>
   <plugin>
 </plugins>
</build>

</project>

When this is run, the ejb jar file is generate in its module, then
Maven builds the ear module.

The log shows
[WARNING] JAR will be empty - no content marked for inclusion!
[INFO] Building jar: C:\work\jee6eartest\fooEar\target\fooEar-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Does anyone have this working?

Re: maven ear plugin - simple example

Yegor Bugayenko
Try to rename <dependancies> to <dependencies>.

Yegor Bugayenko

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Dave Levitt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>     <artifactId>maven.ear.plugin</artifactId>
>     <version>2.5</version>
>     <configuration>
>        <version>6</version> <!--- Java EE spec version???? -->
>        <modules>
>           <ejbModule>
>             groupId>org.apache.example<groupId>
>             <artifactId>fooejb</artifactId>
>           </ejbModule>
>        </modules>
>     </configuration>
>   <plugin>
>  </plugins>
> </build>
>
> </project>
>
> When this is run, the ejb jar file is generate in its module, then
> Maven builds the ear module.
>
> The log shows
> [WARNING] JAR will be empty - no content marked for inclusion!
> [INFO] Building jar:
> C:\work\jee6eartest\fooEar\target\fooEar-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

I should have copied and pasted - I've got the editor open on my work
windoze box, and GMail on my Mac

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Yegor Bugayenko
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>     <artifactId>maven.ear.plugin</artifactId>
>>     <version>2.5</version>
>>     <configuration>
>>        <version>6</version> <!--- Java EE spec version???? -->
>>        <modules>
>>           <ejbModule>
>>             groupId>org.apache.example<groupId>
>>             <artifactId>fooejb</artifactId>
>>           </ejbModule>
>>        </modules>
>>     </configuration>
>>   <plugin>
>>  </plugins>
>> </build>
>>
>> </project>
>>
>> When this is run, the ejb jar file is generate in its module, then
>> Maven builds the ear module.
>>
>> The log shows
>> [WARNING] JAR will be empty - no content marked for inclusion!
>> [INFO] Building jar:
>> C:\work\jee6eartest\fooEar\target\fooEar-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Timothy Mcginnis
You didn't specify the packaging type for the artifact.

<packaging>ear</packaging>

Tim McGinnis
717 720-1962
Web Development
AES/PHEAA

From:
"Dave Levitt" <[hidden email]>
To:
"Maven Users List" <[hidden email]>
Date:
03/15/2011 10:56 AM
Subject:
[...]

This message contains privileged and confidential information intended for the above addressees only.  If you
receive this message in error please delete or destroy this message and/or attachments.

The sender of this message will fully cooperate in the civil and criminal prosecution of any individual engaging
in the unauthorized use of this message.

Re: maven ear plugin - simple example

Dave Levitt
Knew it needed to be something simple [my wife says things like 'male
pattern blindness']

It still would be nice to have a working example for the plugin's
'examples' page.

Is it possible to have a single module project? [ear file generated in
the same project containing the managed bean / ejb source files]?

That would be the simplest case, and would be a good fit for an
archetype. [may require a new release of the ear plugin]