[maven-assembly-plugin] smart(er) dependency merge

[maven-assembly-plugin] smart(er) dependency merge

robert burrell donkin-2
(If support for this use case already exists then apologies in advance
but I suspect it's not supported and that I'll need to hack some extra
code...)

specific use case:
 assemble a jar containing all dependencies without losing legal meta-data

example:
 LICENSE and NOTICE in META-INF must be preserved when including an
Apache License, Version 2 dependency

workaround:
 manually maintaining specific LICENSE and NOTICE for the assembly and
updating any time any dependency changes upstream

Perhaps add this would be a little too specific for a general plugin.
So, one way to satisfy this case is by adding a solution to

more general use case:
 extensible support for smart dependency mergers with collision
detection and resolution

Opinions?

Re: [maven-assembly-plugin] smart(er) dependency merge

David Jencks
I think the shade plugin does something like this.

david jencks

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:52 AM, David Jencks <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think the shade plugin does something like this.

Looks like it does...

Thanks :-)

Re: [maven-assembly-plugin] smart(er) dependency merge

robert burrell donkin-2
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:52 AM, David Jencks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think the shade plugin does something like this.
>
> Looks like it does...

I've submitted [1] a documentation patch to help users of assembly to
find uber jar

Robert

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-562