maven-archetype-plugin default version

Stefan Helfrich
Dear everyone,

I had filed an issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPOM-172)
some time ago about bumping the version of maven-archetype-plugin to
which Maven defaults.

To my understanding, the fix of the issue should have made the latest
Maven version default to maven-archetype-plugin:3.0.1 instead of 2.4
when executing

    $ mvn archetype:help

in a non-Maven project folder (ie. no POM available to mess with that
setting). It seems that I was mistaken on that point. Does anyone have
insights on where/how to propose a version bump maven-archetype-plugin
from 2.4 to 3.0.1?

Best,
Stefan

--
Dr. Stefan Helfrich
Bioimaging Center (L931)

PO Box 604
78457 Konstanz
Germany

Tel +49-7531-884666
Fax +49-7531-884005

Re: maven-archetype-plugin default version

Anders Hammar
mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:3.0.1:help

/Anders

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 11:12 AM, Stefan Helfrich <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear everyone,
>
> I had filed an issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPOM-172)
> some time ago about bumping the version of maven-archetype-plugin to
> which Maven defaults.
>
> To my understanding, the fix of the issue should have made the latest
> Maven version default to maven-archetype-plugin:3.0.1 instead of 2.4
> when executing
>
>     $ mvn archetype:help
>
> in a non-Maven project folder (ie. no POM available to mess with that
> setting). It seems that I was mistaken on that point. Does anyone have
> insights on where/how to propose a version bump maven-archetype-plugin
> from 2.4 to 3.0.1?
>
> Best,
> Stefan
>
> --
> Dr. Stefan Helfrich
> Bioimaging Center (L931)
> University of Konstanz
>
> PO Box 604
> 78457 Konstanz
> Germany
>
> Tel +49-7531-884666
> Fax +49-7531-884005

Re: maven-archetype-plugin default version

Stefan Helfrich
Thanks for pointing this out, Anders!

My question was along the lines of how Maven determines which version of
a plugin is used in this case:

$ mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:help

and/or

$ mvn archetype:help

Best,
Stefan

--
Dr. Stefan Helfrich
Bioimaging Center (L931)

PO Box 604
78457 Konstanz
Germany

Tel +49-7531-884666
Fax +49-7531-884005

AW: maven-archetype-plugin default version

Bernd Eckenfels
If there is no plugin Management or Defaults it uses the latest Version.
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

My question was along the lines of how Maven determines which version of
a plugin is used in this case:

$ mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:help

and/or

$ mvn archetype:help

Best,
Stefan

On 2018/03/27 05:50:16, Anders Hammar wrote:

> mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:3.0.1:help>
>
> /Anders>
>
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 11:12 AM, Stefan Helfrich <>
> [hidden email]> wrote:>
>
> > Dear everyone,>
> >>
> > I had filed an issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPOM-172)>
> > some time ago about bumping the version of maven-archetype-plugin to>
> > which Maven defaults.>
> >>
> > To my understanding, the fix of the issue should have made the latest>
> > Maven version default to maven-archetype-plugin:3.0.1 instead of 2.4>
> > when executing>
> >>
> > $ mvn archetype:help>
> >>
> > in a non-Maven project folder (ie. no POM available to mess with that>
> > setting). It seems that I was mistaken on that point. Does anyone have>
> > insights on where/how to propose a version bump maven-archetype-plugin>
> > from 2.4 to 3.0.1?>
> >>
> > Best,>
> > Stefan>
> >>
> > -->
> > Dr. Stefan Helfrich>
> > Bioimaging Center (L931)>
> > University of Konstanz>
> >>
> > PO Box 604>
> > 78457 Konstanz>
> > Germany>
> >>
> > Tel +49-7531-884666>
> > Fax +49-7531-884005>

> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]>

--
Dr. Stefan Helfrich
Bioimaging Center (L931)
University of Konstanz

PO Box 604
78457 Konstanz
Germany

Tel +49-7531-884666
Fax +49-7531-884005

Re: AW: maven-archetype-plugin default version

Stefan Helfrich
> If there is no plugin Management or Defaults it uses the latest Version.
There is no POM (that could contain that information): my intention is
to use the maven-archetype-plugin to create a new Maven project from an
archetype. According to a search in Maven Central for the GA(V), there
are at least two newer version of that plugin:

https://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.apache.maven.plugins%22%20AND%20a%3A%22maven-archetype-plugin%22

I am wondering why per default 2.4 is used instead of 3.0.1 (which is
the latest), as you suggested, Bernd.

On 03/28/2018 12:37 AM, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> If there is no plugin Management or Defaults it uses the latest Version.
> -- http://bernd.eckenfels.net Von: Stefan Helfrich Gesendet: Mittwoch,
> 28. März 2018 00:29 An: [hidden email] Betreff: Re:
> maven-archetype-plugin default version Thanks for pointing this out,
> Anders! My question was along the lines of how Maven determines which
> version of a plugin is used in this case: $ mvn
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:help and/or $ mvn
> archetype:help Best, Stefan On 2018/03/27 05:50:16, Anders Hammar wrote:
>> mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:3.0.1:help>
>>
>> /Anders>
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 11:12 AM, Stefan Helfrich <>
>> [hidden email]> wrote:>
>>
>>> Dear everyone,>
>>> I had filed an issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPOM-172)>
>>> some time ago about bumping the version of maven-archetype-plugin to>
>>> which Maven defaults.>
>>> To my understanding, the fix of the issue should have made the latest>
>>> Maven version default to maven-archetype-plugin:3.0.1 instead of 2.4>
>>> when executing>
>>> $ mvn archetype:help>
>>> in a non-Maven project folder (ie. no POM available to mess with that>
>>> setting). It seems that I was mistaken on that point. Does anyone have>
>>> insights on where/how to propose a version bump maven-archetype-plugin>
>>> from 2.4 to 3.0.1?>
>>> Best,>
>>> Stefan>
>>> -->
>>> Dr. Stefan Helfrich>
>>> Bioimaging Center (L931)>
>>> University of Konstanz>
>>> PO Box 604>
>>> 78457 Konstanz>
>>> Germany>
>>> Tel +49-7531-884666>
>>> Fax +49-7531-884005>

>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]>
> -- Dr. Stefan Helfrich Bioimaging Center (L931) University of Konstanz
> PO Box 604 78457 Konstanz Germany Tel +49-7531-884666 Fax +49-7531-884005

Re: AW: maven-archetype-plugin default version

Anders Hammar
The latest released version should be used. I checked the metadata [1] and
it states v3.0.1.
What version of Maven are you using and are you using a repository manager
(which could provide different metadata)?

[1]
https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/maven-metadata.xml

/Anders

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 7:38 AM, Stefan Helfrich <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > If there is no plugin Management or Defaults it uses the latest Version.
> There is no POM (that could contain that information): my intention is
> to use the maven-archetype-plugin to create a new Maven project from an
> archetype. According to a search in Maven Central for the GA(V), there
> are at least two newer version of that plugin:
>
> https://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.
> apache.maven.plugins%22%20AND%20a%3A%22maven-archetype-plugin%22
>
> I am wondering why per default 2.4 is used instead of 3.0.1 (which is
> the latest), as you suggested, Bernd.
>

> On 03/28/2018 12:37 AM, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> > If there is no plugin Management or Defaults it uses the latest Version.
> > -- http://bernd.eckenfels.net Von: Stefan Helfrich Gesendet: Mittwoch,
> > 28. März 2018 00:29 An: [hidden email] Betreff: Re:
> > maven-archetype-plugin default version Thanks for pointing this out,
> > Anders! My question was along the lines of how Maven determines which
> > version of a plugin is used in this case: $ mvn
> > org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:help and/or $ mvn
> > archetype:help Best, Stefan On 2018/03/27 05:50:16, Anders Hammar wrote:
> >> mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:3.0.1:help>
> >>
> >> /Anders>

> > -- Dr. Stefan Helfrich Bioimaging Center (L931) University of Konstanz
> > PO Box 604 78457 Konstanz Germany Tel +49-7531-884666 Fax
> +49-7531-884005

Re: AW: maven-archetype-plugin default version

Stefan Helfrich
I am using 3.5.3 but had the same issue with 3.5.2 before:

Apache Maven 3.5.3 (3383c37e1f9e9b3bc3df5050c29c8aff9f295297;
2018-02-24T20:49:05+01:00)
Maven home: /opt/apache-maven-3.5.3
Java home: /opt/jdk1.8.0_144/jre
OS name: "linux", version: "4.4.0-116-generic", arch: "amd64", family:
"unix"

You mentioning a repository manager has reminded me to try clearing out
~/.m2/repository to force a re-download of the plugins: works like a
charm! I have also verified with a clean Docker image that a fresh
install will indeed use the latest maven-archetype-plugin.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious and sorry that I have not tried
clearing out ~/.m2/repository earlier.

Best,
Stefan

On 03/28/2018 08:29 AM, Anders Hammar wrote:

> The latest released version should be used. I checked the metadata [1] and
> it states v3.0.1.
> What version of Maven are you using and are you using a repository manager
> (which could provide different metadata)?
>
> [1]
> https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/maven-metadata.xml
>
> /Anders
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 7:38 AM, Stefan Helfrich <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> If there is no plugin Management or Defaults it uses the latest Version.
>> There is no POM (that could contain that information): my intention is
>> to use the maven-archetype-plugin to create a new Maven project from an
>> archetype. According to a search in Maven Central for the GA(V), there
>> are at least two newer version of that plugin:
>>
>> https://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.
>> apache.maven.plugins%22%20AND%20a%3A%22maven-archetype-plugin%22
>>
>> I am wondering why per default 2.4 is used instead of 3.0.1 (which is
>> the latest), as you suggested, Bernd.
>>

>> On 03/28/2018 12:37 AM, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
>>> If there is no plugin Management or Defaults it uses the latest Version.
>>> -- http://bernd.eckenfels.net Von: Stefan Helfrich Gesendet: Mittwoch,
>>> 28. März 2018 00:29 An: [hidden email] Betreff: Re:
>>> maven-archetype-plugin default version Thanks for pointing this out,
>>> Anders! My question was along the lines of how Maven determines which
>>> version of a plugin is used in this case: $ mvn
>>> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:help and/or $ mvn

>>> -- Dr. Stefan Helfrich Bioimaging Center (L931) University of Konstanz
>>> PO Box 604 78457 Konstanz Germany Tel +49-7531-884666 Fax
>> +49-7531-884005

Re: AW: maven-archetype-plugin default version

Anders Hammar
Ok, strange. Could indicate a bug in Maven as the local repo should be
updated from the remote one wrt metadata.

/Anders