Quantcast

maven 3 snapshot resolving

tbee
  We use Nexus as our repository manager and publish all artifacts (snapshot and release) through one url. This was a suggested setup to solve a Maven 2.2.1 resolve behavior (I can't remember what exactly, so off the top of my head).

We have switched to Maven 3 and the following behavior occurs: a new snapshot of an entity is uploaded to Maven, but the using project keeps downloading the old version.

It turned out that in Nexus there were two snapshots:
- one with a date-time in the name (put there by Maven 3)
- one without a date-time in the name (put there previously by Maven 2)

Maven 3 seems to keep resolving to the old version. So I deleted the whole folder and rebuild it, now there only is a snapshot with date-time in the name:

/[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project CheyenneWebProject: Could not resolve dependencies for project nl.innovationinvestments:CheyenneWebProject:pom:1.0-SNAPSHOT: Could not find artifact nl.innovationinvestments:CheyenneServlet:jar:1.11-SNAPSHOT in kp (http://alaya.applicationplaza.com:8081/nexus/content/groups/pub
lic) -> [Help 1]
/
The artifact
     nl.innovationinvestments:CheyenneServlet:jar:1.11-SNAPSHOT

indeed is not in the repository, it's called
     nl.innovationinvestments:CheyenneServlet:jar:1.11-20101027.120857.4

and Maven 3 does not find it?

Switching back to Maven 2.2.1 for now.

Tom

Re: maven 3 snapshot resolving

Benjamin Bentmann
Tom wrote:

> Could not
> find artifact nl.innovationinvestments:CheyenneServlet:jar:1.11-SNAPSHOT
> in kp (http://alaya.applicationplaza.com:8081/nexus/content/groups/pub
> lic)

Could be related to [0], i.e. a problem with the metadata that Maven
requires to locate the timestamped snapshot. Either try using the system
property mentioned in the wiki article to deploy legacy metadata or
update/patch your Nexus instance.

Benjamin

[0]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Maven+3.x+Compatibility+Notes#Maven3.xCompatibilityNotes-UniqueSnapshotVersionsandClassifiers

Re: maven 3 snapshot resolving

tbee
  This wiki refers to Maven 2 clients having problems accessing Maven 3 artifacts. In my situation Maven 3 clients are the problem; they does not seem to find the artifacts it deployed itself. So that would not be "activating legacy behavior".

Tom wrote:

> This wiki refers to Maven 2 clients having problems

 From that wiki:

"Additionally, some repository managers [...] may not cope with the
additional XML elements in the metadata file."

This applies to (unpatched) Nexus versions before 1.8 where the issue
manifests itself as the server not being able to serve the metadata from
a group repository. And the failure to deliver this metadata prevents
Maven from finding the snapshot.

Benjamin

Re: maven 3 snapshot resolving

tbee
  My snapshot repositories were configured using <uniqueVersion>false</uniqueVersion>. Maven 3 does not seem to respect that when releasing and releases with a date-time anyhow, but does respect it when resolving and does not find the date-time files. By modifying uniqueVersion to true, it seems to work.

Further testing is required, but this matches the behavior.

  On 27-10-2010 15:04, Tom wrote:
>  My snapshot repositories were configured using <uniqueVersion>false</uniqueVersion>. Maven 3 does not seem to respect that when releasing and releases with a date-time anyhow, but does respect it when resolving and does not find the date-time files. By modifying uniqueVersion to true, it seems to work.
>
> Further testing is required, but this matches the behavior.

This seems to work, now versioned artifacts are resolved, but not versioned plugins.

/[ERROR]     Unresolveable build extension: Plugin nl.innovationinvestments:CheyenneMavenPlugin:1.11-SNAPSHOT or one of its dependencies could not be resolved: Could not find artifact nl.innovationinvestments:CheyenneMavenPlugin:jar:1.11-SNAPSHOT in kp (http://alaya.applicationplaza.com:8081/nexus/content/groups/public) -> [Help 2]
/
There is a versioned plugin available in Nexus.

So upgrading Nexus to 1.8 could solve this?

Tom

Re: maven 3 snapshot resolving

tbee
  Upgrading to Nexus 1.8 did solve it, it seems. Thanks!