m2eclipse 0.10 is extremely slow

Zilvinas Vilutis
Maven is heavily used in our company and we have a huge project hierarchy, so time to time we are splitting it in pieces and start to depend on shared jar's instead of having all the sources in each project.

I've just tried to upgrade to newer version of m2eclipse integration, as everyone's talking that it should be noticeably faster ( http://www.sonatype.com/people/2010/02/now-available-m2eclipse-0-10-0/ )

Unfortunately...it's not in our case. To verify that I'm doing everything right - I've downloaded a clean package of Eclipse SDK 3.5.2, added all required plugins ( spring IDE, WTP, subclipse & m2eclipse ) and tried to import my projects from scratch.

So the results were that I've imported my 2 projects which have 3 and ~10 classes and a bunch of dependencies - and it took like 3.5 MINUTES to import them.

I removed them and imported again and it took more than 2 minutes. That's all my lifetime to wait as comparing how it worked with 0.9.8 - as it was used to be no more than 10 seconds to finish all eclipse tasks...

Then I've imported 4 more projects and it took 5 more minutes.

This would be fine if the slowness stopped at import time - but now my overall work has slowed very much, as I'm used to work with "Build automatically" set to ON - and now after each file save ( especially non-java resource file save ) it takes all the infinity to re-build the workspace, it 30-60 seconds the work is blocked after each file save.

And the worst thing is that I can't find a place to download 0.9.8 anymore...
--------------------
nothing is impossible

Re: m2eclipse 0.10 is extremely slow

Zilvinas Vilutis
And the fun part is that adding 3 more projects took 13 minutes of my working time :)

Please tell me what am I doing wrong?

Zilvinas Vilutis wrote
[...]

--------------------
nothing is impossible

Re: m2eclipse 0.10 is extremely slow

Jason van Zyl-2

On May 23, 2010, at 2:44 PM, Zilvinas Vilutis wrote:

Maven is heavily used in our company and we have a huge project hierarchy, so
time to time we are splitting it in pieces and start to depend on shared
jar's instead of having all the sources in each project.

I've just tried to upgrade to newer version of m2eclipse integration, as
everyone's talking that it should be noticeably faster (
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2010/02/now-available-m2eclipse-0-10-0/ )

Unfortunately...it's not in our case. To verify that I'm doing everything
right - I've downloaded a clean package of Eclipse SDK 3.5.2, added all
required plugins ( spring IDE, WTP, subclipse & m2eclipse ) and tried to
import my projects from scratch.

The core is definitely faster. Unfortunately you're using WTP which is not fully supporting and we can't account any changes that might happen within WTP, and Subclipse is a known performance problem and it may very well have gotten worse. We use Subversive ourselves. I can't speak for SpringIDE.

Also lookup customizable lifecycle mapping:

You don't want the default lifecycle mapping which just runs all of Maven.

[...]

0.9.8 is not supported anymore but it's here:

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will
elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come
and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

Re: m2eclipse 0.10 is extremely slow

Zilvinas Vilutis
Hey,

Thanks for reply.

I've just re-created my environment and now using Subversive instead of Subclipse - and there's no difference, the import is still extremely slow.

Thanks for the URL - I will get the 0.9.8 version to work with as I used to.

And I guess will have to stick to the concept - "don't upgrade while everything is working fine".

jvanzyl wrote

https://docs.sonatype.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2949459

You don't want the default lifecycle mapping which just runs all of Maven.

> So the results were that I've imported my 2 projects which have 3 and ~10
> classes and a bunch of dependencies - and it took like 3.5 MINUTES to import
> them.
>
> I removed them and imported again and it took more than 2 minutes. That's
> all my lifetime to wait as comparing how it worked with 0.9.8 - as it was
> used to be no more than 10 seconds to finish all eclipse tasks...
>
> Then I've imported 4 more projects and it took 5 more minutes.
>
> This would be fine if the slowness stopped at import time - but now my
> overall work has slowed very much, as I'm used to work with "Build
> automatically" set to ON - and now after each file save ( especially
> non-java resource file save ) it takes all the infinity to re-build the
> workspace, it 30-60 seconds the work is blocked after each file save.
>
> And the worst thing is that I can't find a place to download 0.9.8
> anymore...

0.9.8 is not supported anymore but it's here:

http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/sites/archives/

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven