m2Eclipse

akinsgre
I just installed the m2Eclipse plugin and am trying to checkout a file
from Subversion.

Getting this error "SCM provider is not available for scm:null..."

Googling a bit led to suggestions that I didn't have the Subversion
SCM provider installed, but I'm not seeing that in the list of
available software from the Sonatype update site.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

--
Greg Akins

http://insomnia-consulting.org
http://www.pghcodingdojo.org
http://pittjug.dev.java.net
http://twitter.com/akinsgre
http://www.linkedin.com/in/akinsgre

Re : m2Eclipse

Julien HENRY
Hi,

You should install subclipse using this update site: http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.6.x

Regards,

Julien

--
Greg Akins

> href="http://insomnia-consulting.org" target=_blank
> >http://insomnia-consulting.org

> target=_blank >http://www.pghcodingdojo.org

> href="http://pittjug.dev.java.net" target=_blank
> >http://pittjug.dev.java.net

> target=_blank >http://twitter.com/akinsgre

> href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/akinsgre" target=_blank
> >http://www.linkedin.com/in/akinsgre

> href="mailto:[hidden email]">[hidden email]
For
> additional commands, e-mail:
> href="mailto:[hidden email]">[hidden email]

Re: Re : m2Eclipse

akinsgre
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Julien HENRY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You should install subclipse using this update site: http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.6.x

Does Maven SCM not support Subversive?

Re: Re : m2Eclipse

Ron Wheeler
On 03/06/2010 10:07 AM, Greg Akins wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Julien HENRY<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You should install subclipse using this update site: http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.6.x
>>
> Does Maven SCM not support Subversive?

You might want to look at Subversive. It is part of Eclipse and works
very well and is much easier to install since it knows how to find its
connectors.
We started out with Subcipse but moved to Subversion when it became
available and have been very happy.

Ron

Re: Re : m2Eclipse

akinsgre
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Ron Wheeler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You might want to look at Subversive. It is part of Eclipse and works very
> well and is much easier to install since it knows how to find its
> connectors.
> We started out with Subcipse but moved to Subversion when it became
> available and have been very happy.

I'm using Subversive.. Can't figure out how to install the Maven SCM
providers for that, however.

I ended up creating the Eclipse files using the Maven Eclipse plugin..
but I'd like to be able to checkout directly from Eclipse.

--
Greg Akins

http://insomnia-consulting.org
http://www.pghcodingdojo.org
http://pittjug.dev.java.net
http://twitter.com/akinsgre
http://www.linkedin.com/in/akinsgre

Re: Re : m2Eclipse

Andrew Close
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Greg Akins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Ron Wheeler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>> You might want to look at Subversive. It is part of Eclipse and works very
>> well and is much easier to install since it knows how to find its
>> connectors.
>> We started out with Subcipse but moved to Subversion when it became
>> available and have been very happy.
>>

> I'm using Subversive.. Can't figure out how to install the Maven SCM
> providers for that, however.
>
> I ended up creating the Eclipse files using the Maven Eclipse plugin..
> but I'd like to be able to checkout directly from Eclipse.

i think Subversive is an Eclipse plugin that allows you to access
Subversion from within Eclipse.  Maven does not use Subversive, Maven
will work with your SCM(Subversion in this case) directly.  you need
to add an SCM section to your POM (or SuperPOM) so Maven knows how to
access your SCM.
here is some info on configuring Maven to work with your SCM:
http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#SCM

and here is some info on getting started with the SCM plugin:
http://maven.apache.org/scm/scms-overview.html

--
Andrew Close

Re: Re : m2Eclipse

Ron Wheeler
On 03/06/2010 10:44 AM, Greg Akins wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Ron Wheeler
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>> You might want to look at Subversive. It is part of Eclipse and works very
>> well and is much easier to install since it knows how to find its
>> connectors.
>> We started out with Subcipse but moved to Subversion when it became
>> available and have been very happy.
>>

> I'm using Subversive.. Can't figure out how to install the Maven SCM
> providers for that, however.
>
> I ended up creating the Eclipse files using the Maven Eclipse plugin..
> but I'd like to be able to checkout directly from Eclipse.

I am not sure what your problem is.
We checkout projects all the time using Eclipse and just use the Eclipse
"New Project" to create new projects that use Maven and Spring and
.......everything.

Are you trying to work outside Eclipse with Maven. We never do that
since all our projects are in Eclipse and Maven is an integrated part of
Eclipse.

I would suggest using the Springsource STS version of Eclipse. You get
everything that you need in one install and all the bits are properly
integrated.
It was taking us all day to get an Eclipse.org version of Eclipse
configured with all the plug-ins. With STS it take a long download (it
is big) but a quick install and you only have to use the update to get
Subversive installed and Subversive finds it own connectors which saves
a lot of grief.
I do not mind doing a clean install on each new version since it is
almost as fast as an update using the Eclipse built-in update.

We used Eclipse for 2 years before moving to the STS version.

Another piece of free advice: If you are going to use Maven get the
Nexus repository on your server. It will save you a lot of time dealing
with Maven.

Ron

Re: Re : m2Eclipse

akinsgre
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Andrew Close <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i think Subversive is an Eclipse plugin that allows you to access
> Subversion from within Eclipse.  Maven does not use Subversive, Maven
> will work with your SCM(Subversion in this case) directly.  you need
> to add an SCM section to your POM (or SuperPOM) so Maven knows how to
> access your SCM.
> here is some info on configuring Maven to work with your SCM:
> http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#SCM

Yes, Subversive is an Eclipse plugin..

So the M2Eclipse plugin, when checking out a new project in Eclipse
will use the Maven scm plugin?  Not the Eclipse SCM providers?

If that's the case, then it's definitely my problem as I didn't have
the <scm/> section declared in my pom.  I'll give that a try.

On 03/06/2010 10:58 AM, Greg Akins wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Andrew Close<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> i think Subversive is an Eclipse plugin that allows you to access
>> Subversion from within Eclipse.  Maven does not use Subversive, Maven
>> will work with your SCM(Subversion in this case) directly.  you need
>> to add an SCM section to your POM (or SuperPOM) so Maven knows how to
>> access your SCM.
>> here is some info on configuring Maven to work with your SCM:
>> http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#SCM
>>

> Yes, Subversive is an Eclipse plugin..
>
> So the M2Eclipse plugin, when checking out a new project in Eclipse
> will use the Maven scm plugin?  Not the Eclipse SCM providers?
>
> If that's the case, then it's definitely my problem as I didn't have
> the<scm/>  section declared in my pom.  I'll give that a try.

We never had <scm> sections in our poms. Eclipse can checkout projects
that use Maven.

>> --
>> Andrew Close

Re: Re : m2Eclipse

Antonio Petrelli
2010/6/3 Greg Akins <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Andrew Close <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> i think Subversive is an Eclipse plugin that allows you to access
>> Subversion from within Eclipse.  Maven does not use Subversive, Maven
>> will work with your SCM(Subversion in this case) directly.  you need
>> to add an SCM section to your POM (or SuperPOM) so Maven knows how to
>> access your SCM.
>> here is some info on configuring Maven to work with your SCM:
>> http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#SCM
>>

> Yes, Subversive is an Eclipse plugin..
>
> So the M2Eclipse plugin, when checking out a new project in Eclipse
> will use the Maven scm plugin?  Not the Eclipse SCM providers?

I don't think so. M2Eclipse has an integration plugin between
M2Eclipse and Subclipse (not subversive) that adds an extra "Check out
as Maven project" menu item.

Antonio

Re: Re : m2Eclipse

akinsgre
Success!

Turns out I missed the requirement for the m2Eclipse extras .. those
contain the SCM integration plugins.  Looks like Subversive is
supported by the SCM Integration.. Subclipse requires an additional
provider.

On a clean Eclipse 3.5 install, I added Subversive, M2Ecilpse and
Extras and was able to create a new project via Svn checkout.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

--
Greg Akins

http://insomnia-consulting.org
http://www.pghcodingdojo.org
http://pittjug.dev.java.net
http://twitter.com/akinsgre
http://www.linkedin.com/in/akinsgre

Re: Re : m2Eclipse

Mark H. Wood
On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 02:10:51PM -0400, Greg Akins wrote:
> Turns out I missed the requirement for the m2Eclipse extras .. those
> contain the SCM integration plugins.  Looks like Subversive is
> supported by the SCM Integration.. Subclipse requires an additional
> provider.

Aha!  I've been sticking with Eclipse 3.4 for months because, when
trying to check out a Maven project set from SCM, I would get a dialog
demanding to know which SCM using a disabled droplist control.  The
list was empty, because no providers were installed.  Ugh.  It works
now, though I had to AltaVista for "m2Eclipse extras" to find the
separate site on which they live.

How did we miss this?

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [hidden email]
Balance your desire for bells and whistles with the reality that only a