[m2] m2 and SWT

Mark Hobson
Has anyone had any thoughts on how m2 could work with SWT projects?
The main problem being the OS-specific artifacts and artifact-types,
e.g. swt-win32-awt-3135.dll, and setting java.library.path to the
resolved dependency paths.

I have a SWT project building under m1 by declaring the dll's as
dependencies with an artifact type of dll, which obviously breaks now
under m2.  Also, my tests require the dll dir in the
java.library.path, which i achieved under m1 with a
maven.junit.jvmargs property expression - is there an easy way to
configure this with surefire under m2?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

RE: [m2] m2 and SWT

J. Matthew Pryor
We are doing something very similar, building DLLs &/or Linux shared
libraries then needing them copied & shipped as dependencies much as jar
files are.

Also use the same maven.junit.jvmargs trick to get them in to
java.library.path.

I haven't tried to move any of this over to m2, but wanted to add my
use-case to the discussion for m2 developers consideration

Matthew

Re: [m2] m2 and SWT

Brett Porter
Hi Mark,

Pure system properties can be set using
<systemProperties><property>value</property>

http://maven.apache.org/maven2/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/test-mojo.html

However, surefire doesn't fork at this point, so it may not work for
that particular property. I think there is already a JIRA for it under
the surefire project if you want to track it.

The DLL situation is a combination of documents here:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+2.0+Design+Documents

"packaging vs type" discusses how to get the dll
"build profiles" will discuss (after I finished typing it up from some
scribbled notes) how to do OS specific dependencies.

These are all up for review in the next week, so comments are
appreciated (see my recent post to dev@maven).

Cheers,
Brett

On 5/21/05, Mark Hobson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone had any thoughts on how m2 could work with SWT projects?
> The main problem being the OS-specific artifacts and artifact-types,
> e.g. swt-win32-awt-3135.dll, and setting java.library.path to the
> resolved dependency paths.
>
> I have a SWT project building under m1 by declaring the dll's as
> dependencies with an artifact type of dll, which obviously breaks now
> under m2.  Also, my tests require the dll dir in the
> java.library.path, which i achieved under m1 with a
> maven.junit.jvmargs property expression - is there an easy way to
> configure this with surefire under m2?
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Re: [m2] m2 and SWT

Mark Hobson
On 5/21/05, Brett Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Pure system properties can be set using
> <systemProperties><property>value</property>
>
> http://maven.apache.org/maven2/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/test-mojo.html

I did see that, although without hardcoding the dll path I wasn't sure
how this could reference a m2 repo subdir.

> However, surefire doesn't fork at this point, so it may not work for
> that particular property. I think there is already a JIRA for it under
> the surefire project if you want to track it.

I couldn't find an issue under m2 nor surefire - not sure if I'm
missing something?

> The DLL situation is a combination of documents here:
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+2.0+Design+Documents
>
> "packaging vs type" discusses how to get the dll
> "build profiles" will discuss (after I finished typing it up from some
> scribbled notes) how to do OS specific dependencies.
>
> These are all up for review in the next week, so comments are
> appreciated (see my recent post to dev@maven).

I did see that thanks, but was just curious as to whether this
use-case had been resolved or was a part of that bigger discussion.

Thanks Brett,

Mark

Re: [m2] m2 and SWT

Brett Porter
On 5/22/05, Mark Hobson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did see that, although without hardcoding the dll path I wasn't sure
> how this could reference a m2 repo subdir.

oh - good point. We may need to write a plugin to handle this, or
something similar. We also have some tests that access artifacts from
the local repository, so it would be good to find a general solution.
I'm open to any ideas :)

> I couldn't find an issue under m2 nor surefire - not sure if I'm
> missing something?

I was thinking SUREFIRE, but its not in either. Seems it hasn't been
posted (unless it is in the unscheduled bucket of MNG - I forgot to
check there).

> I did see that thanks, but was just curious as to whether this
> use-case had been resolved or was a part of that bigger discussion.

Yes, this is one of the more advanced use cases, so we'll make sure it
gets tackled. If you are interested in joining in the discussions,
that'd be great.

- Brett

Re: [m2] m2 and SWT

Mark Hobson
On 5/21/05, Brett Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> oh - good point. We may need to write a plugin to handle this, or
> something similar. We also have some tests that access artifacts from
> the local repository, so it would be good to find a general solution.
> I'm open to any ideas :)
> Yes, this is one of the more advanced use cases, so we'll make sure it
> gets tackled. If you are interested in joining in the discussions,
> that'd be great.

I'd like to help, but not sure if I'm quite up to speed on the
architecture and the hundreds of use-classes you guys seem to be
carefully balancing!  I'll be interested in the outcome and may pop in
for a listen thanks.

Mark