[m2] Howto setup a Maven2 mirror?

John Fallows
We are investigating the use of Maven2 inside our firewall.  What are
the necessary steps for setting up an internal Maven2 repository
mirror?

Apache
mod_proxy
mod_cache
~/.m2/settings.xml

Anything else?

Is it possible to define the mirror in pom.xml once, rather than
requiring each end-user to have a settings.xml mirror entry?

We also need to support creation of internal artifacts. Does it make
sense to aggregate at central repository (similar to Maven-Proxy for
1.0), or to have two different repositories with independent top-level
(internal) URLs, reference them both from settings.xml, and aggregate
at the local repository on each m2 client machine?

Kind Regards,
John Fallows.

Re: [m2] Howto setup a Maven2 mirror?

Brett Porter
(John - I had to moderate some messages through - please make sure you
post from the same address you are subscribed from)

replies inline...

On 5/28/05, John Fallows <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are investigating the use of Maven2 inside our firewall.  What are
> the necessary steps for setting up an internal Maven2 repository
> mirror?

You can use Maven Proxy as well, I believe - it doesn't do any Maven
1.x specifics, so should work with m2.

> Is it possible to define the mirror in pom.xml once, rather than
> requiring each end-user to have a settings.xml mirror entry?

Yes, you can declare it as id "central" in your root POM, and it will
override ibiblio.
We are also looking at ways to easily configure shared configuration
like this across a company in future versions.

> We also need to support creation of internal artifacts. Does it make
> sense to aggregate at central repository (similar to Maven-Proxy for
> 1.0), or to have two different repositories with independent top-level
> (internal) URLs, reference them both from settings.xml, and aggregate
> at the local repository on each m2 client machine?

This is really just a matter of preference for you in how you maintain
it. Both will work just fine. One repository is probably easier to
configure.

- Brett