[m2] Exception assembling WAR

Hugo Palma
I have a multimodule project where one of the modules is a web
application therefor with war packaging.
The directory structure i use is the "normal" one with

src

 - webapp

    - WEB-INF

When i run m2 install from the parente module i get the following exception:

[ERROR] Cause:
org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: Error assembling WAR
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.war.WarMojo.execute(WarMojo.java:217)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPlugi
nManager.java:415)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.processGoals(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:169)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLi
fecycleExecutor.java:90)
        at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.processProject(DefaultMaven.java:253)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:167)
        at
java:39)
        at
sorImpl.java:25)
        at
org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:303)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:243)
        at
org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:416)

        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:363)
Caused by: org.codehaus.plexus.archiver.ArchiverException: Deployment
descriptor
:
C:\java\projectos\Digitalis\SIGES-Admin\target\siges-admin-1.0-SNAPSHOT\WEB-IN
F\web.xml does not exist.
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.archiver.war.WarArchiver.setWebxml(WarArchiver.ja
va:70)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.war.WarMojo.performPackaging(WarMojo.java:248
)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.war.WarMojo.execute(WarMojo.java:212)
        ... 14 more

Any help out there ?

Cheers

Hugo

Re: [m2] Exception assembling WAR

Brett Porter
On 5/16/05, Hugo Palma <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a multimodule project where one of the modules is a web
> application therefor with war packaging.
> The directory structure i use is the "normal" one with
>
> src
>  - webapp
>     - WEB-INF

In that case, you'll need to add configuration for warSourceDirectory:

http://maven.apache.org/maven2/plugins/maven-war-plugin/war-mojo.html

- Brett

Re: [m2] Exception assembling WAR

Emmanuel Venisse-2
You need to create a web.xml file in src/main/webapp/WEB-INF

src/main/webapp/WEB-INF is the default value of warSourceDirectory
plugin property

Emmanuel

Hugo Palma wrote:

> I have a multimodule project where one of the modules is a web
> application therefor with war packaging.
> The directory structure i use is the "normal" one with
>
> src
> |
> - webapp
>    - WEB-INF
>

> When i run m2 install from the parente module i get the following
> exception:
>
> [ERROR] Cause:
> org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: Error assembling WAR
>        at org.apache.maven.plugin.war.WarMojo.execute(WarMojo.java:217)
>        at
> org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPlugi
> nManager.java:415)
>        at
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.processGoals(Defa
> ultLifecycleExecutor.java:169)
>        at
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLi
> fecycleExecutor.java:90)
>        at
> org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.processProject(DefaultMaven.java:253)
>        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:167)
>        at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:246)
>        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>        at
> java:39)
>        at
> sorImpl.java:25)
>        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
>        at
> org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:303)
>        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:243)
>        at
> org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:416)
>
>        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:363)
> Caused by: org.codehaus.plexus.archiver.ArchiverException: Deployment
> descriptor
> :
> C:\java\projectos\Digitalis\SIGES-Admin\target\siges-admin-1.0-SNAPSHOT\WEB-IN
>
> F\web.xml does not exist.
>        at
> org.codehaus.plexus.archiver.war.WarArchiver.setWebxml(WarArchiver.ja
> va:70)
>        at
> org.apache.maven.plugin.war.WarMojo.performPackaging(WarMojo.java:248
> )
>        at org.apache.maven.plugin.war.WarMojo.execute(WarMojo.java:212)
>        ... 14 more
>

> Any help out there ?
>

> Cheers
>
> Hugo

Re: [m2] Exception assembling WAR

Igor Deruga
Hello, Hugo!
I had such a problem too, though my project's structure is far from
being "normal".

I can suggest adding this line:
<webXml>/home/sandbox/myproject-3.0/subproject/web-content/WEB-INF/web.xml</webXml>
inside the maven-war-plugin (just don't forget to change the path to
your value). Here's the whole block from my pom.xml:

 <build>
    <finalName>gw-weather</finalName>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <version>2.0-alpha-2</version>
        <configuration>

<warSourceDirectory>/home/sandbox/myproject-3.0/subproject/web-content/</warSourceDirectory>

<webXml>/home/sandbox/myproject-3.0/subproject/web-content/WEB-INF/web.xml</webXml>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

If the problem can't be solved this way, could you please send the part
of your pom.xml that is responsible for this error?

Sincerely
Igor Deruga.

Igor Deruga wrote:

> Hello, Hugo!
> I had such a problem too, though my project's structure is far from
> being "normal".
>
> I can suggest adding this line:
> <webXml>/home/sandbox/myproject-3.0/subproject/web-content/WEB-INF/web.xml</webXml>
>
> inside the maven-war-plugin (just don't forget to change the path to
> your value). Here's the whole block from my pom.xml:
>
> <build>
>    <finalName>gw-weather</finalName>
>    <plugins>
>      <plugin>
>        <artifactId>maven-war-plugin</artifactId>
>        <version>2.0-alpha-2</version>
>        <configuration>
>
> <warSourceDirectory>/home/sandbox/myproject-3.0/subproject/web-content/</warSourceDirectory>
>

> <webXml>/home/sandbox/myproject-3.0/subproject/web-content/WEB-INF/web.xml</webXml>
>
>        </configuration>
>      </plugin>
>    </plugins>
>  </build>

if your web.xml is in ${warSourceDirectory}/WEB-INF/web.xml, it isn't
necessary to define the webXml property.

And I think it isn't a good idea to define an absolute path for your
properties. If you want to build your project in an other platform, it
won't work.

> If the problem can't be solved this way, could you please send the
> part of your pom.xml that is responsible for this error?
>
> Sincerely
> Igor Deruga.
>
> Hugo Palma wrote:
>
>> I have a multimodule project where one of the modules is a web
>> application therefor with war packaging.
>> The directory structure i use is the "normal" one with

Re: [m2] Exception assembling WAR

Hugo Palma
Thanks for all the replies.
Only now i've noticed that the webapp dir has moved inside the main dir
since Maven 1. I just moved the webapp dir inside main and it worked fine.

Thanks again.

Hugo