[m2] Debug and Optimized JARs?

John Fallows
What is the best way to use Maven2 to create both debug and optimized JARs?

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Build+Profiles

Would this be achievable using a "Build Profile" that would apply
across all phases of the lifecycle, and could influence various plugin
properties, like optimization parameters, target directory location,
JAR base name, etc.

I noticed the concept of an "activeProfile" list in settings.xml,
which can vary by execution environment.

Would it be a reasonable approach for individual developers to
activate only the "debug" profile, while both "debug" and "optimized"
profiles would be activated for the continuous integration build and
for release builds?

Will Maven2 define any standard profiles, such as "debug" and
"optimized", to avoid re-configuring every project with the various
plugin property customization?  Or will there be an easy way to define
these things once, even if they are not standardized?

Kind Regards,
John Fallows.

Re: [m2] Debug and Optimized JARs?

Brett Porter
Hi John,

On 5/28/05, John Fallows <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Would it be a reasonable approach for individual developers to
> activate only the "debug" profile, while both "debug" and "optimized"
> profiles would be activated for the continuous integration build and
> for release builds?

Yes, this is there intention.

> Will Maven2 define any standard profiles, such as "debug" and
> "optimized", to avoid re-configuring every project with the various
> plugin property customization?  Or will there be an easy way to define
> these things once, even if they are not standardized?

This wasn't in the original design, but it is a reasonable feature
request to make, if you'd like to put it into JIRA.

Regards,
Brett