[m2] Bootstrap repository configuration?

[m2] Bootstrap repository configuration?

Mark Hobson
Hi there,

I've got a hierarchy of projects whose poms all inherit a company-wide
top-level pom.  This pom contains all global settings such as issue
management, repositories, build configuration etc. and is installed to
a company maven repository.

The problem is if a project that inherits this top-level pom is built
with a clean local repository, then maven can't download the parent
pom since it's the parent pom that defines the repositories being
used.

Obviously this has two possible solutions:

1) Duplicate the repository configuration in every project's pom
2) Install the parent pom before any other dependent projects

The former becomes a maintaince issue, whereas the latter becomes a
developer training issue.  Possible other solutions could be:

3) Define a bootstrap repository definition in settings.xml
4) Be able to fully-qualify a parent pom with an inline repository
configuration, e.g.:

        <parent>
                <url>http://www.company.com/maven</url>
                <groupId>com.company</groupId>
                <artifactId>company-parent</artifactId>
                <version>0.1</version>
        </parent>

Has anyone had any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [m2] Bootstrap repository configuration?

Brett Porter
On 5/21/05, Mark Hobson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 3) Define a bootstrap repository definition in settings.xml

You can sort of do that now by defining a "mirror" for ibiblio. The
problem is if you still want to access ibiblio as well (for this,
maven-proxy might be a good intermediatary - making your company repo
the only repo, and it can fetch from ibiblio as needed).

> 4) Be able to fully-qualify a parent pom with an inline repository
> configuration, e.g.:

This would entail adding it to every pom - not really a great benefit.

I think (3) the best way to do this (with an additional repo instead
of a mirror) - if you could file a JIRA that'd be helpful.

Thanks,
Brett

On 5/21/05, Brett Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think (3) the best way to do this (with an additional repo instead
> of a mirror) - if you could file a JIRA that'd be helpful.

Sounds good to me - http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-421

Cheers,

Mark