looking for some volunteer

Tibor Digana
It's going to be very pedant work for someone who want to help us in
Surefire.

I am looking for some volunteer who will remove the deprecated config param
`forkMode` in favor of `forkCount`. All our ITs should use `forkCount`
since then.

Additionally, the volunteer should deprecate `surefire-junit4` provider.
Instead `surefire-junit47` provider should be selected as default provider
for JUnit4 tests. Again the ITs should be changed and plugin dependencies
should use `surefire-junit4` provider in place where it was not specified.

It's easy to do. When you see the usages of `.forkMode()` method - only 20
in `surefire-its` and 43 usages of `<forkMode>` in
`surefire-its/src/test/resources`.

Successful build must prove that the changes have been applied correctly.
The changes should be in a pull request on GitHub.

Cheers
Tibor

Re: looking for some volunteer

Enrico Olivelli
Il lun 25 mar 2019, 00:19 Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi Dejan,
>
> Good to hear. In our Jira are two issues related to my original email:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SUREFIRE-1654
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SUREFIRE-1494
> If you have any questions, feel free to ask here.
> Pls run the build locally (mvn -P run-its install) until our TravisCI
> build would be ready for you. The build takes cca 1 hour to complete.
> We should solve these two issue in two separate pull requests.
> I guess these tasks require very good preparation and analysis of ITs
> before making any changes.
>
> @Enrico can you pls investigate TravisCI, why it still behaves so much
> differently from Jenkins CI and fails?
> Is it really due to the deployed SNAPSHOT versions at ASF Nexus?

Sure

Cheers
Enrico

> Thx
>
> Cheers
> Tibor
>

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 3:23 PM Dejan Stojadinovic <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tibor,
>>
>> I volunteer for this. I have a solid experience with maven usage and also
>> contributed few (easy) maven commits:
>> https://github.com/apache/maven/commits?author=dejan2609
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dejan Stojadinović
>>
>> On 2019/03/23 21:47:04, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > It's going to be very pedant work for someone who want to help us in
>> > Surefire.
>> >
>> > I am looking for some volunteer who will remove the deprecated config
>> param
>> > `forkMode` in favor of `forkCount`. All our ITs should use `forkCount`
>> > since then.
>> >
>> > Additionally, the volunteer should deprecate `surefire-junit4` provider.
>> > Instead `surefire-junit47` provider should be selected as default
>> provider
>> > for JUnit4 tests. Again the ITs should be changed and plugin
>> dependencies
>> > should use `surefire-junit4` provider in place where it was not
>> specified.
>> >
>> > It's easy to do. When you see the usages of `.forkMode()` method - only
>> 20
>> > in `surefire-its` and 43 usages of `<forkMode>` in
>> > `surefire-its/src/test/resources`.
>> >
>> > Successful build must prove that the changes have been applied
>> correctly.
>> > The changes should be in a pull request on GitHub.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Tibor

Re: looking for some volunteer

Tibor Digana
Hi Dejan,

I almost forgot your email.
Pls create a PR on GitHub with a little work even if still incomplete but
at least we would not forget it.
As you can see in [1] we should create release branches and for your PR as
well.
[1]: https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/227

Cheers
Tibor

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 9:24 AM Dejan Stojadinovic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanx Tibor, I left short comments on JIRA issues (just to mark them).
>  I hope I will squeeze first github PR in a few days.
>
> Regards,
> Dejan
>
> On 2019/03/24 23:19:08, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Dejan,
> >
> > Good to hear. In our Jira are two issues related to my original email:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SUREFIRE-1654
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SUREFIRE-1494
> > If you have any questions, feel free to ask here.
> > Pls run the build locally (mvn -P run-its install) until our TravisCI
> build
> > would be ready for you. The build takes cca 1 hour to complete.
> > We should solve these two issue in two separate pull requests.
> > I guess these tasks require very good preparation and analysis of ITs
> > before making any changes.
> >
> > @Enrico can you pls investigate TravisCI, why it still behaves so much
> > differently from Jenkins CI and fails?
> > Is it really due to the deployed SNAPSHOT versions at ASF Nexus?
> >
> > Thx
> >
> > Cheers
> > Tibor
> >

> > On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 3:23 PM Dejan Stojadinovic <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Tibor,
> > >
> > > I volunteer for this. I have a solid experience with maven usage and
> also
> > > contributed few (easy) maven commits:
> > > https://github.com/apache/maven/commits?author=dejan2609
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Dejan Stojadinović

> > > param
> `forkCount`

> provider.
> > > provider
> dependencies
> > > specified.

> only
> > > 20

> correctly.

Re: looking for some volunteer

dejan2609
This one slipped slipped though the cracks (I was few weeks off the grid due to traveling). Let me try to push something soon (if it is not too late).

@Tibor please review https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/233