[jenkins] How is asfMavenTlpStdBuild() defined?

[jenkins] How is asfMavenTlpStdBuild() defined?

Robert Munteanu-3
Hi,

I was looking over the setup the Maven project has in Jenkins and I'd
like to understand and maybe copy it :-) I think it uses a Jenkins
library, as the Jenkinsfile only has a single code line

   asfMavenTlpStdBuild()

but I could not find any definition of a shared pipeline library in the
job definitions ( [1] ) and also a Github search did not yield any
sources.

Is there any documentation or other place where I can see how this is
implemented?

(Please keep me in CC, I'm not subscribed)

[1]:
https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven-acr-plugin/configure

Re: [jenkins] How is asfMavenTlpStdBuild() defined?

Robert Munteanu-3
Hi Karl Heinz,

On Sat, 2018-07-21 at 00:15 +0200, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On 20/07/18 21:48, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was looking over the setup the Maven project has in Jenkins and
> > I'd
> > like to understand and maybe copy it :-) I think it uses a Jenkins
> > library, as the Jenkinsfile only has a single code line
> >
> >    asfMavenTlpStdBuild()
> >
> > but I could not find any definition of a shared pipeline library in
> > the
> > job definitions ( [1] ) and also a Github search did not yield any
> > sources.
> >
> > Is there any documentation or other place where I can see how this
> > is
> > implemented?
>

> The basic start point:
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/configure
>
> The references lib/env:
>
> Original GitBox:
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-jenkins-lib.git
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-jenkins-env.git
>
> The following mirrors on github:
> https://github.com/apache/maven-jenkins-lib
> https://github.com/apache/maven-jenkins-env

That should be enough to start, thanks a lot! One question - if I read
the code correctly there is no provision to comment on pull requests.
Is that correct? Do you plan to add something, given that you're
building based on GitBox, and not on Github?

Re: [jenkins] How is asfMavenTlpStdBuild() defined?

Karl Heinz Marbaise-3
Hi Robert,

On 24/07/18 15:04, Robert Munteanu wrote:

> Hi Karl Heinz,
>
> On Sat, 2018-07-21 at 00:15 +0200, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> On 20/07/18 21:48, Robert Munteanu wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was looking over the setup the Maven project has in Jenkins and
>>> I'd
>>> like to understand and maybe copy it :-) I think it uses a Jenkins
>>> library, as the Jenkinsfile only has a single code line
>>>
>>>     asfMavenTlpStdBuild()
>>>
>>> but I could not find any definition of a shared pipeline library in
>>> the
>>> job definitions ( [1] ) and also a Github search did not yield any
>>> sources.
>>>
>>> Is there any documentation or other place where I can see how this
>>> is
>>> implemented?
>>

>> The basic start point:
>> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/configure
>>
>> The references lib/env:
>>
>> Original GitBox:
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-jenkins-lib.git
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-jenkins-env.git
>>
>> The following mirrors on github:
>> https://github.com/apache/maven-jenkins-lib
>> https://github.com/apache/maven-jenkins-env
>
> That should be enough to start, thanks a lot! One question - if I read
> the code correctly there is no provision to comment on pull requests.
> Is that correct? Do you plan to add something, given that you're
> building based on GitBox, and not on Github?

Yes you have read correctly that we don't do something releated to pull
request via github.com ....

This has several reasons ..See another thread on the DEV List: "Working
with branches related to issue - Simplyfying work" (Stephen Connolly has
written something about the reasons)...

If I will can do that at the moment manually.. But I'm preparing a
script to handle that in a more convenient way...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

On Tue, 2018-07-24 at 21:03 +0200, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On 24/07/18 15:04, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> > Hi Karl Heinz,
> >
> > On Sat, 2018-07-21 at 00:15 +0200, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
> > > Hi Robert,

> > > The basic start point:

https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/configure

> > > The references lib/env:
> > >
> > > Original GitBox:
> > > https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-jenkins-lib.git
> > > https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-jenkins-env.git
> > >
> > > The following mirrors on github:
> > > https://github.com/apache/maven-jenkins-lib
> > > https://github.com/apache/maven-jenkins-env
> >
> > That should be enough to start, thanks a lot! One question - if I
> > read
> > the code correctly there is no provision to comment on pull
> > requests.
> > Is that correct? Do you plan to add something, given that you're
> > building based on GitBox, and not on Github?
>
> Yes you have read correctly that we don't do something releated to
> pull
> request via github.com ....
>
> This has several reasons ..See another thread on the DEV List:
> "Working
> with branches related to issue - Simplyfying work" (Stephen Connolly
> has
> written something about the reasons)...
>
> If I will can do that at the moment manually.. But I'm preparing a
> script to handle that in a more convenient way...

Thanks for the confirmation. We will probably go with a more Github-
centric approach, but the information you provided here will be very
valuable.

Best,