jcoverage.ser file: purpose & clean impact?

jcoverage.ser file: purpose & clean impact?

Jeff Jensen
What is the jcoverage.ser file for, and why does "clean" not delete it?

It was the entire cause of the JCoverage problems I've been looking at for 2
weeks...

RE: jcoverage.ser file: purpose & clean impact?

Aleksandr Shneyderman
I do not know what the purpose of jcoverage.ser file but you can tell
maven to instruct jcoverage to place it in your target by using
maven.jcoverage.merge.outputDir property, so when you do clean it will
remove the jcoverage.ser file too.

Alex.

Excellent point.  I was just surprised as the velocity.log file was cleaned and
it was not.  And by default it resides in ${basedir}, not something like
${maven.jcoverage.dir}.  Made me think it was a "special" file (like a cache
file) for reuse.

Additionally, I cannot get it to work!  I tried both of these

maven.jcoverage.merge.outputDir=${maven.jcoverage.dir}
maven.jcoverage.merge.outputDir=${maven.build.dir}/jcoverage

and the file is always written to ${basedir}.

Has anyone successfully used that property to change the output location?

Quoting Aleksandr Shneyderman <[hidden email]>:

> I do not know what the purpose of jcoverage.ser file but you can tell
> maven to instruct jcoverage to place it in your target by using
> maven.jcoverage.merge.outputDir property, so when you do clean it will
> remove the jcoverage.ser file too.
>
> Alex.

Hmm, must be bug. Open a JIRA issue, I guess.

As an interim solution you might want to try do this:

<preGoal name="clean:clean">
        <ant:delete file="${basedir}/jcoverage.ser" />
</preGoal>

In your maven.xml

Excellent point.  I was just surprised as the velocity.log file was cleaned
and it was not.  And by default it resides in ${basedir}, not something like
${maven.jcoverage.dir}.  Made me think it was a "special" file (like a cache
file) for reuse.

Additionally, I cannot get it to work!  I tried both of these

maven.jcoverage.merge.outputDir=${maven.jcoverage.dir}
maven.jcoverage.merge.outputDir=${maven.build.dir}/jcoverage

and the file is always written to ${basedir}.

Has anyone successfully used that property to change the output location?

Quoting Aleksandr Shneyderman <[hidden email]>:

> I do not know what the purpose of jcoverage.ser file but you can tell
> maven to instruct jcoverage to place it in your target by using
> maven.jcoverage.merge.outputDir property, so when you do clean it will
> remove the jcoverage.ser file too.
>
> Alex.

Thanks!  That is a good idea and works well.

I'll enter a JIRA too....