Quantcast

is 3.5.1 open for business?

Igor Fedorenko-3
I have two of small-ish fixes I'd like to submit, so I was wondering if
master is open for 3.5.1 changes already or we want to give it little
more time in case we need to release any emergency patches.

Also, what is the general bug fixing protocol now, push to directly to
master and be prepared to revert or always go through a
pull-request-review process? I don't mind going the code review route,
but in this particular case both changes touch 1-2 lines of code not
counting regression test code, so I am not sure how much value formal
code review process will provide.

Also, does anyone know how to get my JIRA account fixed so I can
assign/close/etc bugs?

Thank you in advance.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6210
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6209

Igor

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

Karl Heinz Marbaise-3
Hi Igor,

On 07/04/17 17:21, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
> I have two of small-ish fixes I'd like to submit, so I was wondering if
> master is open for 3.5.1 changes already or we want to give it little
> more time in case we need to release any emergency patches.

If that's really necessary we can simply make a branch for that
emergency patch...

> Also, what is the general bug fixing protocol now, push to directly to
> master and be prepared to revert or always go through a
> pull-request-review process? I don't mind going the code review route,
> but in this particular case both changes touch 1-2 lines of code not
> counting regression test code, so I am not sure how much value formal
> code review process will provide.

I would suggest to create appropriate branches per jira issue (MNG-6210,
MNG-6209) for it and then we can see if IT's working well and afterwards
merging them to master via fast-forward. This will prevent several
commits/reverts on master...so we keep the history clean..

> Also, does anyone know how to get my JIRA account fixed so I can
> assign/close/etc bugs?

You are not allowed to do? Write an INFRA ticket...in the meantime I or
others can help here with that...

> Thank you in advance.
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6210
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6209

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

Karl Heinz Marbaise-3
Hi Igor,

>> Also, does anyone know how to get my JIRA account fixed so I can
>> assign/close/etc bugs?
>
> You are not allowed to do? Write an INFRA ticket...in the meantime I or
> others can help here with that...

JIRA says your account does not exist...tried to assign 6210 to you...

Looks really like an INFRA subject...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

Igor Fedorenko-3
Thank you for quick response, Karl. I'll create feature branches and
push proposed fixes there.

Is there a preference between apache and github for code review
branches?

Igor

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017, at 11:32 AM, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> Hi Igor,
> >>
> >> Also, does anyone know how to get my JIRA account fixed so I can
> >> assign/close/etc bugs?
> >
> > You are not allowed to do? Write an INFRA ticket...in the meantime I or
> > others can help here with that...
>
> JIRA says your account does not exist...tried to assign 6210 to you...
>
> Looks really like an INFRA subject...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

stephenconnolly
I want every issue that changes code (not docs or javadocs) to have an
integration test run before merging.

We were trying to get consensus on a process but the debate died without a
conclusion

On Fri 7 Apr 2017 at 16:21, Igor Fedorenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have two of small-ish fixes I'd like to submit, so I was wondering if
> master is open for 3.5.1 changes already or we want to give it little
> more time in case we need to release any emergency patches.
>
> Also, what is the general bug fixing protocol now, push to directly to
> master and be prepared to revert or always go through a
> pull-request-review process? I don't mind going the code review route,
> but in this particular case both changes touch 1-2 lines of code not
> counting regression test code, so I am not sure how much value formal
> code review process will provide.
>
> Also, does anyone know how to get my JIRA account fixed so I can
> assign/close/etc bugs?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6210
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6209

> Igor

Sent from my phone

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

Igor Fedorenko-3
I completely agree we need to prove each code change does not break
existing integration tests (and I did run the tests locally with my
changes, fwiw)

Igor

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> I want every issue that changes code (not docs or javadocs) to have an
> integration test run before merging.
>
> We were trying to get consensus on a process but the debate died without
> conclusion
>
> On Fri 7 Apr 2017 at 16:21, Igor Fedorenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have two of small-ish fixes I'd like to submit, so I was wondering if
> > master is open for 3.5.1 changes already or we want to give it little
> > more time in case we need to release any emergency patches.
> >
> > Also, what is the general bug fixing protocol now, push to directly to
> > master and be prepared to revert or always go through a
> > pull-request-review process? I don't mind going the code review route,
> > but in this particular case both changes touch 1-2 lines of code not
> > counting regression test code, so I am not sure how much value formal
> > code review process will provide.
> >
> > Also, does anyone know how to get my JIRA account fixed so I can
> > assign/close/etc bugs?
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> >

> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6210
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6209
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Igor

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

Igor Fedorenko-3
I pushed my changes to feature branches. How do I trigger CI builds now?

Igor

On April 7, 2017 9:24:06 AM Igor Fedorenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I completely agree we need to prove each code change does not break
> existing integration tests (and I did run the tests locally with my
> changes, fwiw)

> Igor
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
>> I want every issue that changes code (not docs or javadocs) to have an
>> integration test run before merging.
>>
>> We were trying to get consensus on a process but the debate died without
>> conclusion
>>
>> On Fri 7 Apr 2017 at 16:21, Igor Fedorenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > I have two of small-ish fixes I'd like to submit, so I was wondering if
>> > master is open for 3.5.1 changes already or we want to give it little
>> > more time in case we need to release any emergency patches.
>> >
>> > Also, what is the general bug fixing protocol now, push to directly to
>> > master and be prepared to revert or always go through a
>> > pull-request-review process? I don't mind going the code review route,
>> > but in this particular case both changes touch 1-2 lines of code not
>> > counting regression test code, so I am not sure how much value formal
>> > code review process will provide.
>> >
>> > Also, does anyone know how to get my JIRA account fixed so I can
>> > assign/close/etc bugs?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance.
>> >

>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6210
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6209
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> > Igor

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

stephenconnolly
Should trigger automatically

On Thu 13 Apr 2017 at 21:09, Igor Fedorenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I pushed my changes to feature branches. How do I trigger CI builds now?

> Igor
>

> On April 7, 2017 9:24:06 AM Igor Fedorenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I completely agree we need to prove each code change does not break
> > existing integration tests (and I did run the tests locally with my
> > changes, fwiw)
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Igor
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 7, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
> >> I want every issue that changes code (not docs or javadocs) to have an
> >> integration test run before merging.
> >>
> >> We were trying to get consensus on a process but the debate died without
> >> conclusion

> if

Sent from my phone

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

stephenconnolly
Are your branch jobs here:
https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-3.x-jenkinsfile/

Sent from my phone

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

Hi Igor,

On 13/04/17 22:09, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
> I pushed my changes to feature branches. How do I trigger CI builds now?

They are already running your builds...

Take a look here:

https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-3.x-jenkinsfile/

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

> Igor
>

> On April 7, 2017 9:24:06 AM Igor Fedorenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I completely agree we need to prove each code change does not break
>> existing integration tests (and I did run the tests locally with my
>> changes, fwiw)
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Igor
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
>>> I want every issue that changes code (not docs or javadocs) to have an
>>> integration test run before merging.
>>>
>>> We were trying to get consensus on a process but the debate died without
>>> conclusion

>>> wondering if

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

Igor Fedorenko-3
Thank you for the explanation, didn't find this job.

Now that both branch builds are happy, any objections I merge then to master?

Igor

On April 13, 2017 1:20:24 PM Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>

> On 13/04/17 22:09, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
>> I pushed my changes to feature branches. How do I trigger CI builds now?
>
> They are already running your builds...
>
> Take a look here:
>
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-3.x-jenkinsfile/
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Igor
>>

>> On April 7, 2017 9:24:06 AM Igor Fedorenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I completely agree we need to prove each code change does not break
>>> existing integration tests (and I did run the tests locally with my
>>> changes, fwiw)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Igor

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

stephenconnolly
None here!

On Thu 13 Apr 2017 at 23:30, Igor Fedorenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the explanation, didn't find this job.
>
> Now that both branch builds are happy, any objections I merge then to
> master?

> Igor
>

> On April 13, 2017 1:20:24 PM Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Igor,
> >

> > On 13/04/17 22:09, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
> >> I pushed my changes to feature branches. How do I trigger CI builds now?
> >
> > They are already running your builds...
> >
> > Take a look here:
> >
> > https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-3.x-jenkinsfile/
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Karl Heinz Marbaise
> >

> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Igor

> without

> little

> route,
> formal

Sent from my phone

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

stephenconnolly
Just be sure to delete the branch after merging so that the job will get
cleaned up (in 3 days time - retention strategy)

Sent from my phone

Re: is 3.5.1 open for business?

Igor Fedorenko-3
Will do. Thank you.