[doxia-dev] Alternative SiteRenderers

Lars Trieloff
Hi,

I've been thinking about DOXIA-1 (Create a JavaHelp Sink) and I am
wondering if creating a JavaHelpSink is the best solution. JavaHelp
should deliver a complete collection of a project's documentation, but a
Doxia Sink only applies to a single page/article/topic.

JavaHelp is created by using simple HTML 3.2 pages and attaching a
HelpSet descriptor to the collection of pages. This HelpSet contains
information about the files involved, the list of topics and a table of
contents. Creating a HelpSet from a single topic should be possible, but
would not make much sense, because only the equivalent of one HTML page
would be included.

My proposal is to write a JavaHelpSiteRenderer that utitlizes the
XhtmlSink (without Maven-specific decorations) to write the help topics
and additionally creates a HelpSet, a table of contents and a help map.

This approach could be extended to create an EclipseHelpSiteRenderer, a
CHMSiteRenderer or a renderers that create composite output from a
complete Doxia site, e.g. a PDF containing all the documentation
available for a certain project instead of one PDF file for every single
topic.

Lars

Re: [doxia-dev] Alternative SiteRenderers

brettporter
Administrator
Sounds good to me. I was actually going to move the site renderer into
doxia - I'll do that shortly.

- Brett