.checkstyle

Elliotte Rusty Harold
Some versions ago the Maven Checkstyle plugin (or perhaps checkstyle
itself) began writing a .checkstyle file into the directory. This
shows up when you run `mvn verify` and is listed a new file in git.

It's autogenerated and I think we can ignore it. I don't think we want
to check it in, so I propose we simply add it to .gitignore wherever
it appears. E.g.

https://github.com/apache/maven-shared-utils/pull/9/files

Does anyone want to argue that we should include it in the repo?

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: .checkstyle

Maarten Mulders
It depends a bit... Is it an empty file? Or is there any content in it,
perhaps meaningful to share within a development team?

Cheers,

Maarten

On March 3, 2020 at 22:17, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> Some versions ago the Maven Checkstyle plugin (or perhaps checkstyle
> itself) began writing a .checkstyle file into the directory. This
> shows up when you run `mvn verify` and is listed a new file in git.
>
> It's autogenerated and I think we can ignore it. I don't think we want
> to check it in, so I propose we simply add it to .gitignore wherever
> it appears. E.g.
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven-shared-utils/pull/9/files
>
> Does anyone want to argue that we should include it in the repo?

Re: .checkstyle

Manfred Moser-4
I agree with adding it to .gitignore

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote on 2020-03-03 04:07 (GMT -08:00):

> There's content in it but it's autogenerated as a consequence of
> building the project. It's not hand edited.
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 3:24 AM Maarten Mulders <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It depends a bit... Is it an empty file? Or is there any content in it,
>> perhaps meaningful to share within a development team?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Maarten
>>
>> On March 3, 2020 at 22:17, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>>
>> > Some versions ago the Maven Checkstyle plugin (or perhaps checkstyle
>> > itself) began writing a .checkstyle file into the directory. This
>> > shows up when you run `mvn verify` and is listed a new file in git.
>> >
>> > It's autogenerated and I think we can ignore it. I don't think we want
>> > to check it in, so I propose we simply add it to .gitignore wherever
>> > it appears. E.g.
>> >
>> > https://github.com/apache/maven-shared-utils/pull/9/files
>> >
>> > Does anyone want to argue that we should include it in the repo?
>

> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: .checkstyle

Enrico Olivelli