buildnumber plugin

Brad Harper
For anyone who has experience with the buildnumber plugin ...

The only examples that I see bind the execution of the plugin to the
'validation' phase of the build lifecycle.

For my purpose, it makes sense to have a build number attached to the
artifact, but only when deployed to an internal remote repository from
where it [the artifact] is to be distributed/shared.

In that case, I'd want to bind the execution to the 'deploy' phase. But
I'd like to have the build number injected into war/jar manifest [as
shown in a sample on the mojo's usage page]. I'm supposing that this
action will be handled by the maven-war-plugin [or maven-jar-plugin, for
that matter] during the 'package' phase by default.

So I'm concluding that I must bind the buildnumber plugin to an
execution during the 'package' phase [or earlier] in order to have the
manifest meta-data set.

Is this thinking correct, since $buildNumber won't be available until
the buildnumber plugin is run?

Would I be forced to use a profile to include the build number in
<finalName> only when deploying?

Regards,
Brad

Re: buildnumber plugin

Nick_S
The finalname is not used when deploying, so no, no profile is needed.
;) It is not possible to install to a local repository or deploy to a
remote repository with another name, afaik.

With regards,

Nick Stolwijk
~Java Developer~

Iprofs BV.
Claus Sluterweg 125
2012 WS Haarlem
www.iprofs.nl

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Harper, Brad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For anyone who has experience with the buildnumber plugin ...
>
> The only examples that I see bind the execution of the plugin to the
> 'validation' phase of the build lifecycle.
>
> For my purpose, it makes sense to have a build number attached to the
> artifact, but only when deployed to an internal remote repository from
> where it [the artifact] is to be distributed/shared.
>
> In that case, I'd want to bind the execution to the 'deploy' phase. But
> I'd like to have the build number injected into war/jar manifest [as
> shown in a sample on the mojo's usage page]. I'm supposing that this
> action will be handled by the maven-war-plugin [or maven-jar-plugin, for
> that matter] during the 'package' phase by default.
>
> So I'm concluding that I must bind the buildnumber plugin to an
> execution during the 'package' phase [or earlier] in order to have the
> manifest meta-data set.
>
> Is this thinking correct, since $buildNumber won't be available until
> the buildnumber plugin is run?
>
> Would I be forced to use a profile to include the build number in
> <finalName> only when deploying?
>
> Regards,
> Brad

RE: buildnumber plugin

Brad Harper
> ;) It is not possible to install to a local repository or
> deploy to a remote repository with another name, afaik.

So are you saying that the artifact can be generated such that its name
includes a value generated by the plugin, but that I can't install or
deploy the artifact with that name?

Brad