apt macro in doxia book not working

David Roussel
Hi,

I'm using doxia-maven-plugin 1.0-alpha-9 using APT as the input format.   I can get it to generate latex, pdf, xdoc, rtf, xhtml.

However, if I try to use a macro as documented (http://maven.apache.org/doxia/macros/index.html), like the example that follows.  Then the macro is not expanded, it is just ignored.  Any ideas for fixes?

Thanks

David

Example APT with macro....

 ------
Title
 ------
John Smith
David Jones
 ------
 ------

Title

~~ Use table of contents macro

%{toc|section=2|fromDepth=0|toDepth=4}

* Introduction

  Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Re: apt macro in doxia book not working

Lukas Theussl-4
Best thing would be to open a JIRA ticket (
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA ) and attach a simple test project.

Thanks!
-Lukas

David Roussel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using doxia-maven-plugin 1.0-alpha-9 using APT as the input format.   I
> can get it to generate latex, pdf, xdoc, rtf, xhtml.
>
> However, if I try to use a macro as documented
> (http://maven.apache.org/doxia/macros/index.html), like the example that
> follows.  Then the macro is not expanded, it is just ignored.  Any ideas for
> fixes?
>
> Thanks
>
> David
>
> Example APT with macro....
>
>  ------
> Title
>  ------
> John Smith
> David Jones
>  ------
>  ------
>
> Title
>
> ~~ Use table of contents macro
>
> %{toc|section=2|fromDepth=0|toDepth=4}
>
> * Introduction
>
>   Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Re: apt macro in doxia book not working

Vincent Siveton-2
Hi David,

It should work, see the test case [1].
However, as Lukas said, open a jira ticket so we could try to
reproduce your problem.

Cheers,

Vincent

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/doxia/doxia/trunk/doxia-modules/doxia-module-apt/src/test/java/org/apache/maven/doxia/module/apt/AptParserTest.java
#testTocMacro()

2007/10/4, David Roussel <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using doxia-maven-plugin 1.0-alpha-9 using APT as the input format.   I
> can get it to generate latex, pdf, xdoc, rtf, xhtml.
>
> However, if I try to use a macro as documented
> (http://maven.apache.org/doxia/macros/index.html), like the example that
> follows.  Then the macro is not expanded, it is just ignored.  Any ideas for
> fixes?
>
> Thanks
>
> David
>
> Example APT with macro....
>
>  ------
> Title
>  ------
> John Smith
> David Jones
>  ------
>  ------
>
> Title
>
> ~~ Use table of contents macro
>
> %{toc|section=2|fromDepth=0|toDepth=4}
>
> * Introduction
>
>   Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Re: apt macro in doxia book not working

David Roussel
I ran the test cases you linked to, inserted some System.out etc, and found that it was because I was putting the toc macro after my first title.  If I moved it forward, then it all works fine.

Thanks for the hint,  test cases rock, etc.

In testing I've come up with a few rules that need to be known when using the Toc macro

 * toDepth can't be greater than the max depth of sections (kind of annoying as you have to keep it in sync)
 * each section heading must be an anchor or the PDF generation fails.  The APT parser doesn't error.  Not sure where the real problem is, once you know it it's ok.  But trying to work out why the generation is failing takes alot of trial and error.

Should I raise bugs for those issues?

David

Vincent Siveton wrote

2007/10/4, David Roussel <nabble@diroussel.xsmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using doxia-maven-plugin 1.0-alpha-9 using APT as the input format.   I
> can get it to generate latex, pdf, xdoc, rtf, xhtml.
>
> However, if I try to use a macro as documented
> (http://maven.apache.org/doxia/macros/index.html), like the example that
> follows.  Then the macro is not expanded, it is just ignored.  Any ideas for
> fixes?
>
> Thanks
>
> David
>
> Example APT with macro....
>
>  ------
> Title
>  ------
> John Smith
> David Jones
>  ------
>  ------
>
> Title
>
> ~~ Use table of contents macro
>
> %{toc|section=2|fromDepth=0|toDepth=4}
>
> * Introduction
>
>   Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Re: apt macro in doxia book not working

Wendy Smoak
On 10/5/07, David Roussel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In testing I've come up with a few rules that need to be known when using
> the Toc macro
>
>  * toDepth can't be greater than the max depth of sections (kind of annoying
> as you have to keep it in sync)
>  * each section heading must be an anchor or the PDF generation fails.  The
> APT parser doesn't error.  Not sure where the real problem is, once you know
> it it's ok.  But trying to work out why the generation is failing takes alot
> of trial and error.
>
> Should I raise bugs for those issues?

If not bugs then at least a patch or suggestion for the docs...

--
Wendy