Why not a forum

12

Why not a forum

Preston, Dale
I was just wondering why this group uses an email list rather than a forum.  It seems forum software is more searchable and filterable than email lists.

Thanks,

Dale

Re: Why not a forum

Paul Benedict
I think because Apache is a non-profit is cost should be minimal --
including cost of time by system administrators. If you want to search and
filter, you have Google and other search engines.

Cheers,
Paul

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Preston, Dale <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was just wondering why this group uses an email list rather than a
> forum.  It seems forum software is more searchable and filterable than
> email lists.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dale

Re: Why not a forum

Maxim Solodovnik
markmail.org is very useful for searching

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

RE: Why not a forum

mgainty

99% of the servers we use are donated by Universities so if the Univ admins dont support we dont either

Everyone who appears on the list to answer questions and/or propose modifications
is doing so on a pro-bono basis.. on their own time ...using their own equipment

we do not have either the Equipment and/or vast Financial Resources that corporate America enjoys

Martin-

> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:54:54 -0500
> Subject: Re: Why not a forum
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> I think because Apache is a non-profit is cost should be minimal --
> including cost of time by system administrators. If you want to search and
> filter, you have Google and other search engines.
>

> Cheers,
> Paul
>

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Preston, Dale <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I was just wondering why this group uses an email list rather than a
> > forum.  It seems forum software is more searchable and filterable than
> > email lists.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dale

Re: Why not a forum

Steven Schlansker
Even with infinite resources, IMO an archived / searchable mail list is far superior to a forum.
I sign up for 5 or 6 projects’ mailing lists and passively watch traffic to learn more about
the projects.  With a forum, I would have to bounce around every day to keep on top of what’s going on.

On Jul 22, 2014, at 10:04 AM, Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 99% of the servers we use are donated by Universities so if the Univ admins dont support we dont either
>
> Everyone who appears on the list to answer questions and/or propose modifications
> is doing so on a pro-bono basis.. on their own time ...using their own equipment
>
> we do not have either the Equipment and/or vast Financial Resources that corporate America enjoys
>
> Martin-
>
>> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:54:54 -0500
>> Subject: Re: Why not a forum
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>>
>> I think because Apache is a non-profit is cost should be minimal --
>> including cost of time by system administrators. If you want to search and
>> filter, you have Google and other search engines.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Paul
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Preston, Dale <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I was just wondering why this group uses an email list rather than a
>>> forum.  It seems forum software is more searchable and filterable than
>>> email lists.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dale

Re: Why not a forum

Ron Wheeler
There is a LinkedIn Maven User group with  2084 members
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1940051

It is not as active as it could be but is available for use.
Is a way to have discussions that are easier to manage over a longer term.

Many of the key resources in this forum are also in the LinkedIn group.

This has no cost to Apache or any member nor does it require any
additional effort to the PMS or members of the user list to post
questions and discussions (specially if you know how to use copy and paste).

It does remove a bit of the anonymity of a mailing list but does give
people a chance to look at profiles to judge the experience of the
people asking questions or giving answers.

It also tracks the influence of people in the group but does not make
that public which would be helpful.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Why not a forum

Ron Wheeler
I would not support the idea of building or implementing a custom system
when there are systems like LinkedIn that are free and already have over
2000 Maven users enrolled in the forum.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Why not a forum

Ron Wheeler
On 22/07/2014 1:07 PM, Steven Schlansker wrote:
> Even with infinite resources, IMO an archived / searchable mail list is far superior to a forum.
> I sign up for 5 or 6 projects’ mailing lists and passively watch traffic to learn more about
> the projects.  With a forum, I would have to bounce around every day to keep on top of what’s going on.

Not true.
You get an e-mail (individual or digest) that you can scan to see if you
want to participate in the discussion.
No more onerous than belonging to this group.
It also sorts out promotions and job offers from "real" discussions.

Ron

> On Jul 22, 2014, at 10:04 AM, Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 99% of the servers we use are donated by Universities so if the Univ admins dont support we dont either
>>
>> Everyone who appears on the list to answer questions and/or propose modifications
>> is doing so on a pro-bono basis.. on their own time ...using their own equipment
>>
>> we do not have either the Equipment and/or vast Financial Resources that corporate America enjoys
>>
>> Martin-
>>
>>> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:54:54 -0500
>>> Subject: Re: Why not a forum
>>> From: [hidden email]
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>>
>>> I think because Apache is a non-profit is cost should be minimal --
>>> including cost of time by system administrators. If you want to search and
>>> filter, you have Google and other search engines.
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Paul

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: [hidden email]
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: Why not a forum

Graham Leggett
On 22 Jul 2014, at 7:17 PM, Ron Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not true.
> You get an e-mail (individual or digest) that you can scan to see if you want to participate in the discussion.
> No more onerous than belonging to this group.
> It also sorts out promotions and job offers from "real" discussions.

You mean like a mailing list? :)

Google does a way better job than any forum search function, and that’s the only meaningful feature in most forum software. Whenever I see a forum I generally ask “why not just a mailing list”?

Regards,
Graham

Re: Why not a forum

Ron Wheeler
On 22/07/2014 1:21 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 22 Jul 2014, at 7:17 PM, Ron Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Not true.
>> You get an e-mail (individual or digest) that you can scan to see if you want to participate in the discussion.
>> No more onerous than belonging to this group.
>> It also sorts out promotions and job offers from "real" discussions.
> You mean like a mailing list? :)
Yes.
that was in response to a specific question.

> Google does a way better job than any forum search function, and that’s the only meaningful feature in most forum software. Whenever I see a forum I generally ask “why not just a mailing list”?
Better threading. Better connection to profiles. Easy to see how active
the group is and who belongs.
Single sign-on for all groups.
Maven group already exists with 2800 members.

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Why not a forum

james northrup
bikeshedding

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Ron Wheeler <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22/07/2014 1:21 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
>
>> On 22 Jul 2014, at 7:17 PM, Ron Wheeler <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Not true.
>>> You get an e-mail (individual or digest) that you can scan to see if you
>>> want to participate in the discussion.
>>> No more onerous than belonging to this group.
>>> It also sorts out promotions and job offers from "real" discussions.
>>>
>> You mean like a mailing list? :)
>>
> Yes.
> that was in response to a specific question.
>

>> Google does a way better job than any forum search function, and that’s
>> the only meaningful feature in most forum software. Whenever I see a forum
>> I generally ask “why not just a mailing list”?
>>
> Better threading. Better connection to profiles. Easy to see how active
> the group is and who belongs.
> Single sign-on for all groups.
> Maven group already exists with 2800 members.
>
>> Regards,
>> Graham
>> —
>>

> --
> Ron Wheeler
> President
> Artifact Software Inc
> email: [hidden email]
> skype: ronaldmwheeler
> phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Jim Northrup  *  (408) 837-2270 *

Re: Why not a forum

stephenconnolly
Apache Policy is that if it didn't happen on the mailing list, it didn't
happen.

The ASF *is* mailing lists.

If you want a forum-like interface there's Nabble...

GMail does great structuring and search for me.

On 22 July 2014 21:09, james northrup <[hidden email]> wrote:

> bikeshedding
>

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Ron Wheeler <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 22/07/2014 1:21 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> >
> >> On 22 Jul 2014, at 7:17 PM, Ron Wheeler <[hidden email]
> >
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>  Not true.
> you
> >>>
> >> You mean like a mailing list? :)
> >>
> > Yes.
> > that was in response to a specific question.
> >

> >> Google does a way better job than any forum search function, and that’s
> >> the only meaningful feature in most forum software. Whenever I see a
> forum
> >> I generally ask “why not just a mailing list”?
> >>
> > Better threading. Better connection to profiles. Easy to see how active
> > the group is and who belongs.
> > Single sign-on for all groups.
> > Maven group already exists with 2800 members.
> >
> >> Regards,
> >> Graham
> >> —
> >>

> > --
> > Ron Wheeler
> > President
> > Artifact Software Inc
> > email: [hidden email]
> > skype: ronaldmwheeler
> > phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

> Jim Northrup  *  (408) 837-2270 *

Re: Why not a forum

Mark Eggers-2

And there's gmane with your newsreader of choice (I use Pan).

Thunderbird synched to gmail / yahoo mail work nicely for searches and
threading as well.

/mde/

On 7/22/2014 1:11 PM, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> Apache Policy is that if it didn't happen on the mailing list, it
> didn't happen.
>
> The ASF *is* mailing lists.
>
> If you want a forum-like interface there's Nabble...
>
> GMail does great structuring and search for me.
>

> On 22 July 2014 21:09, james northrup <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> bikeshedding
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Ron Wheeler <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>> you

>>> Yes. that was in response to a specific question.

>> forum
>>>>
>>> Better threading. Better connection to profiles. Easy to see
>>> how active the group is and who belongs. Single sign-on for all
>>> groups. Maven group already exists with 2800 members.

>>> -- Ron Wheeler President Artifact Software Inc email:
>>> [hidden email] skype: ronaldmwheeler phone:
>>> 866-970-2435, ext 102

>> -- Jim Northrup  *  (408) 837-2270 *

Re: Why not a forum

Ron Wheeler
"Apache Policy is that if it didn't happen on the mailing list, it didn't
happen."

This policy is more important for the dev list where the mailing list is
an integral part of the decision making process and is the official
record of the project.

For user's, it is not so important.
I currently subscribe here and am one of the 2800 on LinkedIn.
This is a more active place but LinkedIn is going to grow simply because
LinkedIn is already a large group and is part of a larger community with
300 million members.

It may be a while before the quality of discussion on LinkedIn matches
this mailing list but I would be opposed to supporting any other forum
since 1 mailing list and 1 forum is enough.

There is no need to pull scarce resources from Apache to build something
from scratch that competes with a Maven group that has 2800 members already.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

RE: Re: Why not a forum

Preston, Dale
There were a lot of replies so far so I want to thank everyone who responded.  I have received a lot of information and I'll have to give it thoughtful consideration and try to absorb it.

I think the response that makes the most sense was that from Paul Benedict: apache is a non-profit [and] cost should be minimal.

Otherwise, I am generally the odd-man-out so please don't be surprised or offended, but I do prefer forums over email lists.  Maybe with more time on here I'll adapt without being assimilated.

Thanks, though, to all for the replies.  It gives me something to consider.

Dale

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Why not a forum

Mark H. Wood
On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 03:51:54PM +0000, Preston, Dale wrote:
> I was just wondering why this group uses an email list rather than a forum.  It seems forum software is more searchable and filterable than email lists.

If it had been my choice:  because I'd have to go to a forum every day
(and a hundred others!) while email comes to me.  I have plenty of
powerful email search and filter tools right here on my workstation.

Every time someone proposes some other medium for this sort of
communication (forum, Twitter, etc.) my first question is "how can I
get that in email?"  I can't think offhand of any forum software I've
used that isn't uncomfortable, inconvenient and hard to search.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [hidden email]
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.

RE: Why not a forum

cody.a.fyler
I don't care either way.

But your argument is wrong.

Most forums will email you about a subscribed thread. You can get an email for every update or a daily digest.

Also, a lot of forums have mobile apps that will notify you (xda-developers for instance).

It allows you to read only what you care about and get notified anywhere you are.

I think we need an RSS site. Discuss. Call names. Shout and cry. (off to get the popcorn)

Cody Fyler
Lending Grid Build Team
G=Lending Grid Builds
(515) - 441 - 0814

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 03:51:54PM +0000, Preston, Dale wrote:
> I was just wondering why this group uses an email list rather than a forum.  It seems forum software is more searchable and filterable than email lists.

If it had been my choice:  because I'd have to go to a forum every day (and a hundred others!) while email comes to me.  I have plenty of powerful email search and filter tools right here on my workstation.

Every time someone proposes some other medium for this sort of communication (forum, Twitter, etc.) my first question is "how can I get that in email?"  I can't think offhand of any forum software I've used that isn't uncomfortable, inconvenient and hard to search.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [hidden email]
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.

Re: Why not a forum

Ron Wheeler
Have you joined the LinkedIn maven group?

Ron
On 22/07/2014 5:43 PM, Preston, Dale wrote:

> There were a lot of replies so far so I want to thank everyone who responded.  I have received a lot of information and I'll have to give it thoughtful consideration and try to absorb it.
>
> I think the response that makes the most sense was that from Paul Benedict: apache is a non-profit [and] cost should be minimal.
>
> Otherwise, I am generally the odd-man-out so please don't be surprised or offended, but I do prefer forums over email lists.  Maybe with more time on here I'll adapt without being assimilated.
>
> Thanks, though, to all for the replies.  It gives me something to consider.
>
> Dale

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: [hidden email]
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: Why not a forum

Ron Wheeler
On 23/07/2014 9:03 AM, Mark H. Wood wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 03:51:54PM +0000, Preston, Dale wrote:
>> I was just wondering why this group uses an email list rather than a forum.  It seems forum software is more searchable and filterable than email lists.
> If it had been my choice:  because I'd have to go to a forum every day
> (and a hundred others!) while email comes to me.  I have plenty of
> powerful email search and filter tools right here on my workstation.
>
> Every time someone proposes some other medium for this sort of
> communication (forum, Twitter, etc.) my first question is "how can I
> get that in email?"  I can't think offhand of any forum software I've
> used that isn't uncomfortable, inconvenient and hard to search.

The Maven LinkedIn forum will send you e-mails plus LinkedIn will inform
you of activity in discussions in which you are active in all of the
groups to which you belong.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Why not a forum

Paul Benedict
I agree with the guy who said "bikeshed" -- this is a bikeshed discussion.
But more than that, no one in this mailing list has authority to setup new
infrastructure and move lists to different technology. It really is a moot
point and nothing will change.

Cheers,
Paul

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Ron Wheeler <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> On 23/07/2014 9:03 AM, Mark H. Wood wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 03:51:54PM +0000, Preston, Dale wrote:
>>
>>> I was just wondering why this group uses an email list rather than a
>>> forum.  It seems forum software is more searchable and filterable than
>>> email lists.
>>>
>> If it had been my choice:  because I'd have to go to a forum every day
>> (and a hundred others!) while email comes to me.  I have plenty of
>> powerful email search and filter tools right here on my workstation.
>>
>> Every time someone proposes some other medium for this sort of
>> communication (forum, Twitter, etc.) my first question is "how can I
>> get that in email?"  I can't think offhand of any forum software I've
>> used that isn't uncomfortable, inconvenient and hard to search.
>>
>>  The Maven LinkedIn forum will send you e-mails plus LinkedIn will inform
> you of activity in discussions in which you are active in all of the groups
> to which you belong.
>
> Ron
>

> --
> Ron Wheeler