Why is Maven calling nonexistent Artifactory?

Why is Maven calling nonexistent Artifactory?

Worden, Roger
New install of Maven 3.6.3 on Mac Mojave. Trying to build a local copy of a third-party vendor’s app. Command is:

mvn dependency:tree -DoutputType=dot --file="pom.xml"

Maven says the following for many objects:

Downloading from vendor-repo: http://192.168.2.57:8081/artifactory/ProjectLibs/it/vendor/Filters/6.6.1/Filters-6.6.1.pom

and then often:

Transfer failed for http://192.168.2.57:8081/artifactory … /maven-metadata.xml

I do not have Artifactory on my Mac.
I have searched all through the Maven config and other files and can find no reference to Artifactory.
I have searched all through the vendor files and can find no reference to Artifactory.

Is this some default built into Maven? A “strings” search of man did not find any reference to Artifactory.

I’ve tried to add repository info to my settings.xml to disable it, but have not succeeded.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Why is Maven calling nonexistent Artifactory?

Nick_S
Hi Roger,

As far as I know there is no other repository then Maven Central baked into
Maven. I guess it is configured somewhere in your settings or pom
structure. You can take a good look at the settings Maven use by using the
Maven Help plugin.

Try executing mvn help:effective-pom and mvn help:effective-settings and
take a look at the output to see if it is your settings or your pom files
that add that repository.

If it is in your settings it should be in ~/.m2/settings.xml or
MAVEN_HOME/conf/settings.xml, otherwise if it is in your project
configuration (pom.xml) it is in your pom or in any of the parent poms of
your project.

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

~~~ Try to leave this world a little better than you found it and, when
your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you
have not wasted your time but have done your best ~~~

Lord Baden-Powell

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:15 PM Worden, Roger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> New install of Maven 3.6.3 on Mac Mojave. Trying to build a local copy of
> a third-party vendor’s app. Command is:
>
> mvn dependency:tree -DoutputType=dot --file="pom.xml"
>
> Maven says the following for many objects:
>
> Downloading from vendor-repo:
> http://192.168.2.57:8081/artifactory/ProjectLibs/it/vendor/Filters/6.6.1/Filters-6.6.1.pom
>
> and then often:
>
> Transfer failed for http://192.168.2.57:8081/artifactory …
> /maven-metadata.xml
>
> I do not have Artifactory on my Mac.
> I have searched all through the Maven config and other files and can find
> no reference to Artifactory.
> I have searched all through the vendor files and can find no reference to
> Artifactory.
>
> Is this some default built into Maven? A “strings” search of man did not
> find any reference to Artifactory.
>
> I’ve tried to add repository info to my settings.xml to disable it, but
> have not succeeded.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: Why is Maven calling nonexistent Artifactory?

ljnelson
Additionally, transitive dependencies may have <repository> elements in
their pom.xmls, one of which probably contains the URL in question.

Best,
Laird

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 2:29 PM Nick Stolwijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> As far as I know there is no other repository then Maven Central baked into
> Maven. I guess it is configured somewhere in your settings or pom
> structure. You can take a good look at the settings Maven use by using the
> Maven Help plugin.
>
> Try executing mvn help:effective-pom and mvn help:effective-settings and
> take a look at the output to see if it is your settings or your pom files
> that add that repository.
>
> If it is in your settings it should be in ~/.m2/settings.xml or
> MAVEN_HOME/conf/settings.xml, otherwise if it is in your project
> configuration (pom.xml) it is in your pom or in any of the parent poms of
> your project.
>
> Hth,
>
> Nick Stolwijk
>
> ~~~ Try to leave this world a little better than you found it and, when
> your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you
> have not wasted your time but have done your best ~~~
>
> Lord Baden-Powell
>

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:15 PM Worden, Roger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > New install of Maven 3.6.3 on Mac Mojave. Trying to build a local copy of
> > a third-party vendor’s app. Command is:
> >
> > mvn dependency:tree -DoutputType=dot --file="pom.xml"
> >
> > Maven says the following for many objects:
> >
> > Downloading from vendor-repo:
> >
> http://192.168.2.57:8081/artifactory/ProjectLibs/it/vendor/Filters/6.6.1/Filters-6.6.1.pom
> >
> > and then often:
> >
> > Transfer failed for http://192.168.2.57:8081/artifactory …
> > /maven-metadata.xml
> >
> > I do not have Artifactory on my Mac.
> > I have searched all through the Maven config and other files and can find
> > no reference to Artifactory.
> > I have searched all through the vendor files and can find no reference to
> > Artifactory.
> >
> > Is this some default built into Maven? A “strings” search of man did not
> > find any reference to Artifactory.
> >
> > I’ve tried to add repository info to my settings.xml to disable it, but
> > have not succeeded.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

Re: Why is Maven calling nonexistent Artifactory?

Pim Moerenhout
Hi Roger,

Actually, I'm working on this problem in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MDEP-648 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MDEP-648>
It will look through all dependencies and tell in which POM the definition for the external repository was defined in:

The output of mvn dependency:list-repositories -Dverbose will output the location of the POM files where it was defined...

[INFO]        id: jvnet-nexus-releases
      url: https://maven.java.net/content/repositories/releases/
   layout: default
snapshots: [enabled => false, update => daily]
 releases: [enabled => true, update => daily]
 location: /Users/pim/.m2/repository/net/java/jvnet-parent/5/jvnet-parent-5.pom

[INFO]        id: apache.snapshots
      url: http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository
   layout: default
snapshots: [enabled => true, update => daily]
 releases: [enabled => false, update => daily]
 location: /Users/pim/.m2/repository/org/apache/apache/4/apache-4.pom

This will help you to identify which dependency defined the lookup...

Regards, Pim