Why I can run plugin:goal in command line even though plugin was only defined under pluginManagement?

Why I can run plugin:goal in command line even though plugin was only defined under pluginManagement?

Sigmond Hola
I defined a specific plugin under  <build><pluginManagement><plugins>, but
not under  <build><plugins>, but I can still run goals of this plugin with  mvn
plugin:goal.

As far as I understand<pluginManagement> is only used to configuring the
plugin information, but not actually import them, right? then how can I use
the goals of this plugin  in the command line?

Thanks for reply.

Bests.
--Sig

Re: Why I can run plugin:goal in command line even though plugin was only defined under pluginManagement?

Bernd Eckenfels
Hello,

You can always run goals on the command line, even if they are not defined in the POM at all. If maven finds the plugin in the POM it knows what version to use and it allows to specify a Prefix instead of group:artifact[:version]:goal.
Gruss
Bernd

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net
________________________________

Bests.
--Sig

Re: Why I can run plugin:goal in command line even though plugin was only defined under pluginManagement?

Sigmond Hola
HI bernd,

thanks for reply, but that's not true.

Take tomcat-maven-plugin as example, if you dont defined it under
error will reported if you run  mvn tomcat7:rununder command line:

No plugin found for prefix 'tomcat7' in the current project and in the
plugin groups [org.apache.maven.plugins, org.codehaus.mojo]

Best regards.

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 4:39 PM, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> You can always run goals on the command line, even if they are not defined
> in the POM at all. If maven finds the plugin in the POM it knows what
> version to use and it allows to specify a Prefix instead of
> group:artifact[:version]:goal.
> Gruss
> Bernd
>
> Gruss
> Bernd
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net
> ________________________________

It is true: for plugins where the prefix is not found by Default, you can still start them with

    mvn org.apache.tomcat.maven:tomcat7-maven-plugin:run
Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

wrote:

> Hello,
>
> You can always run goals on the command line, even if they are not defined
> in the POM at all. If maven finds the plugin in the POM it knows what
> version to use and it allows to specify a Prefix instead of
> group:artifact[:version]:goal.
> Gruss
> Bernd
>
> Gruss
> Bernd
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net
> ________________________________

You are right, thanks for illustration.

But why? Im still confused....

the  prefix-to-artifactId mappings is defined within <pluginGroups> of
effective settings.xml and the default values of it is:

> org.apache.maven.plugins
> org.codehaus.mojo

right? tomcat7's groupId:  org.apache.tomcat.maven is not included.

Why I can using tomcat7 as prefix for  tomcat7-maven-plugin after I add it
in  <build><pluginManagement><plugins> of my pom.xml...

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 12:36 AM, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It is true: for plugins where the prefix is not found by Default, you can
> still start them with
>
>     mvn org.apache.tomcat.maven:tomcat7-maven-plugin:run
> Gruss
> Bernd
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net

My guess is, that as soon as a plug-in is resolved (which includes plugin management) it's prefix is registered. For the default groups the Prefix is searched in, but that does not apply in this case.

In all cases it can be used, it just has no preferred version or default-cli configuration in the POM.

Gruss
Bernd

Gruss
Bernd