When to make a release of a Maven component / plugin

When to make a release of a Maven component / plugin

stephenc
Recently a release vote received some criticism about whether the
release candidate contained sufficient changes to deserve a release.

Here is my position as a member of the Maven PMC.

If you are a Maven Committer and you think that a specific plugin /
component has a change which _you_ are prepared to spend _your_ time
and effort to make a release of that plugin / component... then that
change deserves a release.

The above is really the only criteria about when to make a release.

Obviously to make a release the unit and integration tests must be
passing, but as to the scope of changes before you trigger the
decision to make a release, that is entirely down to you deciding that
you have the time to spend on making the release right now.

If you develop a habit of making lots of frequent releases of the same
plugin / component with very small changes in-between... you may find
that the PMC members review your releases with decreasing priority and
you might have to ping after 72h to get to the magic three +1 votes...
or you may receive a mail from a PMC member asking that you slow the
releases down a bit... but remember that it is better to ask
forgiveness in such cases rather than worry and delay a possible
release (who knows you might not have the time to make the release
next week, and the changes might be a blocking issue for some user out
there)

In an ideal world, each of the Maven plugins / components would
receive a maintenance release (if they have changes) every 6-8
weeks... we are not even close to that

24 plugins had their last release in 2010
6 plugins had their last release in 2009
3 plugins had their last release in 2008
2 plugins had their last release in 2007

And I have not even mentioned the shared components.

So if you are a committer, here is a message from your PMC. If you
think it needs a release, it needs a release. If after 5-10+ releases
from you we think your bar for needing a release is too low, then we
will tell you to raise your bar, but don't let fear of a quiet ping
from the PMC prevent you from getting those 5-10+ releases out there
first

-Stephen

Re: When to make a release of a Maven component / plugin

Baptiste MATHUS
Hi,

I'm no Maven PMC member, but please don't care about the kind of recent mail
that was recently received here.
This was only clueless flaming, not well-thought and constructive critics
that would have had a chance to improve something.

Having frequent releases is a good thing for people to see the project is
well alive.
Release early, release often is a good policy. Small is beautiful, too.

Please keep up the good work.
Thanks everyone for your time. Really, it's appreciated.
You are heroes :-).

Cheers.
Baptiste

6/20 Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>

> Recently a release vote received some criticism about whether the
> release candidate contained sufficient changes to deserve a release.
>
> Here is my position as a member of the Maven PMC.
>
> If you are a Maven Committer and you think that a specific plugin /
> component has a change which _you_ are prepared to spend _your_ time
> and effort to make a release of that plugin / component... then that
> change deserves a release.
>
> The above is really the only criteria about when to make a release.
>
> Obviously to make a release the unit and integration tests must be
> passing, but as to the scope of changes before you trigger the
> decision to make a release, that is entirely down to you deciding that
> you have the time to spend on making the release right now.
>
> If you develop a habit of making lots of frequent releases of the same
> plugin / component with very small changes in-between... you may find
> that the PMC members review your releases with decreasing priority and
> you might have to ping after 72h to get to the magic three +1 votes...
> or you may receive a mail from a PMC member asking that you slow the
> releases down a bit... but remember that it is better to ask
> forgiveness in such cases rather than worry and delay a possible
> release (who knows you might not have the time to make the release
> next week, and the changes might be a blocking issue for some user out
> there)
>
> In an ideal world, each of the Maven plugins / components would
> receive a maintenance release (if they have changes) every 6-8
> weeks... we are not even close to that
>
> 24 plugins had their last release in 2010
> 6 plugins had their last release in 2009
> 3 plugins had their last release in 2008
> 2 plugins had their last release in 2007
>
> And I have not even mentioned the shared components.
>
> So if you are a committer, here is a message from your PMC. If you
> think it needs a release, it needs a release. If after 5-10+ releases
> from you we think your bar for needing a release is too low, then we
> will tell you to raise your bar, but don't let fear of a quiet ping
> from the PMC prevent you from getting those 5-10+ releases out there
> first
>
> -Stephen

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !