When does a Maven plugin uses the POM in the current directory?

When does a Maven plugin uses the POM in the current directory?

Oliver B. Fischer-2
Dear all,

I use the Versions Maven Plugin to check for updates of my dependencies.
Therefore I added the following lines to my pom.xml:

<plugin>
     <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
     <artifactId>versions-maven-plugin</artifactId>
     <version>${versions-plugin.version}</version>
     <configuration>
         <rulesUri>classpath:///rules.xml</rulesUri>
     </configuration>
     <dependencies>
         <dependency>
             <groupId>versionrules</groupId>
             <artifactId>versionrules</artifactId>
             <version>1-SNAPSHOT</version>
         </dependency>
     </dependencies>
</plugin>

But this configuration is not used if I run the Versions Maven Plugin in
the same directory as the pom.xml. The only way to my own configuration
is to put this plugin configuration in a profil and execute this profil
during the Maven run.

Is there a way to run the Versions plugin on the commandline and to
configure it via the pom.xml?

Bye,

Oliver

Re: When does a Maven plugin uses the POM in the current directory?

Anders Hammar
If you put the configuration of the plugin within the pluginManagement
section of the pom, it will be used if you execute the plugin from command
line.

/Anders

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 5:21 PM Oliver B. Fischer <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I use the Versions Maven Plugin to check for updates of my dependencies.
> Therefore I added the following lines to my pom.xml:
>
> <plugin>
>      <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
>      <artifactId>versions-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>      <version>${versions-plugin.version}</version>
>      <configuration>
>          <rulesUri>classpath:///rules.xml</rulesUri>
>      </configuration>
>      <dependencies>
>          <dependency>
>              <groupId>versionrules</groupId>
>              <artifactId>versionrules</artifactId>
>              <version>1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>          </dependency>
>      </dependencies>
> </plugin>
>
> But this configuration is not used if I run the Versions Maven Plugin in
> the same directory as the pom.xml. The only way to my own configuration
> is to put this plugin configuration in a profil and execute this profil
> during the Maven run.
>
> Is there a way to run the Versions plugin on the commandline and to
> configure it via the pom.xml?
>
> Bye,
>
> Oliver

Re: When does a Maven plugin uses the POM in the current directory?

you can do that in different flavours..

by using an execution id like `default-cli` this will be used during the
execution on command line (using the current configuration) furthermore
since Maven 3.3.1 you can use things like[1]:

mvn version:set@Id

which means you can do a different configuration for command line in the
pom file:

Just by simply separating them by different id

  <build>
     <plugins>
       <plugin>
         <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
         <artifactId>versions-maven-plugin</artifactId>
         <version>2.5.</version>
         <executions>
           <execution>
             <id>default-cli</id>
             <configuration>
             </configuration>
           </execution>
           <execution>
             <id>second-cli</id>
             <configuration>
             </configuration>
           </execution>
         </executions>
       </plugin>
     </plugins>
   </build>

[1]: https://maven.apache.org/docs/3.3.1/release-notes.html

On 13/06/18 08:08, Anders Hammar wrote:

> If you put the configuration of the plugin within the pluginManagement
> section of the pom, it will be used if you execute the plugin from command
> line.
>
> /Anders
>
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 5:21 PM Oliver B. Fischer <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I use the Versions Maven Plugin to check for updates of my dependencies.
>> Therefore I added the following lines to my pom.xml:
>>
>> <plugin>
>>       <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
>>       <artifactId>versions-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>>       <version>${versions-plugin.version}</version>
>>       <configuration>
>>           <rulesUri>classpath:///rules.xml</rulesUri>
>>       </configuration>
>>       <dependencies>
>>           <dependency>
>>               <groupId>versionrules</groupId>
>>               <artifactId>versionrules</artifactId>
>>               <version>1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>           </dependency>
>>       </dependencies>
>> </plugin>
>>
>> But this configuration is not used if I run the Versions Maven Plugin in
>> the same directory as the pom.xml. The only way to my own configuration
>> is to put this plugin configuration in a profil and execute this profil
>> during the Maven run.
>>
>> Is there a way to run the Versions plugin on the commandline and to
>> configure it via the pom.xml?
>>
>> Bye,
>>
>> Oliver

Re: When does a Maven plugin uses the POM in the current directory?

Oliver B. Fischer-2
Thank you all for your support. Now it works as I need it.