What is the compilation behavior in the latest m2eclipse?

What is the compilation behavior in the latest m2eclipse?

janstey
So in the past when I've used m2eclipse I noticed that it certainly did a lot of builds in the background and seemed to be slow for large numbers of open projects. I figured out that this was because m2eclipse was not using the incremental compiler built in to Eclipse but rather executing Maven builds in the background. As I understood it, this was planned to be addressed/fixed somehow in a future release.

Now, during writing of Camel in Action, I describe usage of m2eclipse for creating Camel projects. I also give a disclaimer about possible performance problems as I mentioned above. An astute reader informed me that the latest version of m2eclipse actually fixes this performance issue. Is this correct? If so, that is great! I don't like having disclaimers in the book :)

Many thanks.

--
Cheers,
Jon

Camel in Action: http://manning.com/ibsen
Blog: http://janstey.blogspot.com

Re: What is the compilation behavior in the latest m2eclipse?

Igor Fedorenko-3
m2e always used JDT incremental builder to compile java classes.

Igor

Jon Anstey wrote:

> So in the past when I've used m2eclipse I noticed that it certainly did
> a lot of builds in the background and seemed to be slow for large
> numbers of open projects. I figured out that this was because m2eclipse
> was not using the incremental compiler built in to Eclipse but rather
> executing Maven builds in the background. As I understood it, this was
> planned to be addressed/fixed somehow in a future release.
>
> Now, during writing of Camel in Action, I describe usage of m2eclipse
> for creating Camel projects. I also give a disclaimer about
> possible performance problems as I mentioned above. An astute reader
> informed me that the latest version of m2eclipse actually fixes this
> performance issue. Is this correct? If so, that is great! I
> don't like having disclaimers in the book :)
>
> Many thanks.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Jon
>
> Camel in Action: http://manning.com/ibsen
> Blog: http://janstey.blogspot.com

Re: What is the compilation behavior in the latest m2eclipse?

janstey
Hmmm... so there was never a problem with performance and I just imagined all that waiting? :)

Maybe my description was wrong; so it did always use the incremental compiler, but I think there were still major performance problems. I just found this post

which doesn't explain much other than a users similar frustrations. The comment on that page from Tim O'Brien says that major performance improvements have been made to the latest version of m2eclipse so I take that as at least some of my performance problems I had in the past have gone away. Downloading the latest and greatest now...

Thanks for your time.