What'd recognized by Maven in pom.xml?

Chris24300
Hi, I'm trying to understand a pom.xml file in a project and it has a line

<mkdir dir="${project.build.directory}/${project.artifactId}-${project.version}/WEB-INF/lib"/>

will Maven understand the ${project.build.directory} and ${project.artifactId}? From what I've read those type of 'variables' wouldn't be defined in settings.xml because they are project specific and they are not in the projects top level pom.xml.

Thank you,
Chris