Web project support for nmaven

Jan Stevens Ancajas
Hi,

Anybody has tried tinkering for ASP support in nmaven ?  AFAIK, VS uses
msbuild to validate the web project.

Thanks,
Jan

Re: Web project support for nmaven

Wendy Smoak
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:34 AM, Jan Stevens Ancajas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anybody has tried tinkering for ASP support in nmaven ?  AFAIK, VS uses
> msbuild to validate the web project.

What is the user story (or use case) for this?

What is the output of building an ASP .NET project?  Does VS produce a
.msi or .exe from it, or is that an additional step?

I'd like to start with the end result, the thing we're trying to
produce, and then figure out how to get there from here.

Wendy

Re: Web project support for nmaven

Wendy Smoak
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:34 AM, Jan Stevens Ancajas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anybody has tried tinkering for ASP support in nmaven ?  AFAIK, VS uses
> msbuild to validate the web project.

I think Carlos has... :)

Also, if we need an application to test with, the code for the app we
use to organize the local code camp...
    http://www.desertcodecamp.com
... is available here
    http://www.codeplex.com/unconference
.

I think being able to build that would go a long way towards proving
out the ASP .NET support in NMaven.

Wendy

Re: Web project support for nmaven

Carlos Sanchez
So far I wrote this wiki page

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/NMaven+and+ASP+.NET

I've tested that the compiled dll with trunk compiler matches (IMO)
the dll generated by VS

I will keep that wiki updated with my findings

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Wendy Smoak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:34 AM, Jan Stevens Ancajas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Anybody has tried tinkering for ASP support in nmaven ?  AFAIK, VS uses
>> msbuild to validate the web project.
>
> I think Carlos has... :)
>
> Also, if we need an application to test with, the code for the app we
> use to organize the local code camp...
>    http://www.desertcodecamp.com
> ... is available here
>    http://www.codeplex.com/unconference
> .
>
> I think being able to build that would go a long way towards proving
> out the ASP .NET support in NMaven.

> Wendy

versions in the assembly names in the repo

James Carpenter-2
I have just finished building the library example spun by the library archetype for the 1.6-incubating-SNAPSHOT version of nmaven.  When I examine the contents of my local repo I notice the assembly file contains the version name just as a typical java artifact does.

When I look at the older 0.14 nmaven site docs I notice support for using org.apache.maven.dotnet.plugins:maven-install-plugin:install-file on a pre-compiled assembly.  I'm assuming the same functionality exists in nmaven 1.5+ but inspection of my local repository format indicates otherwise.  I was assuming the DefaultArtifactResolver would somehow be configured so as to use an alternate repo layout supporting assemblies without versions in their names.  Without such a change I don't understand how 3rd party closed-source libraries can be supported.

Can someone please resolve my confusion?  Do i need to do a bit more configuration and somehow set-up two repositories with different layouts?

Re: Web project support for nmaven

Carlos Sanchez
I have updated the wiki with plans to implement two features:

- packaging of ASP .NET projects to be deployed to IIS
- precompilation of ASP pages to check for errors

I'm interested first in the 0.14 branch as seems the most stable.

Please comment on the plans there. I will create jiras for the
required work afterwards.

Thanks

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Carlos Sanchez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So far I wrote this wiki page
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/NMaven+and+ASP+.NET
>
> I've tested that the compiled dll with trunk compiler matches (IMO)
> the dll generated by VS
>
> I will keep that wiki updated with my findings
>

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Wendy Smoak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:34 AM, Jan Stevens Ancajas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody has tried tinkering for ASP support in nmaven ?  AFAIK, VS uses
>>> msbuild to validate the web project.
>>
>> I think Carlos has... :)
>>
>> Also, if we need an application to test with, the code for the app we
>> use to organize the local code camp...
>>    http://www.desertcodecamp.com
>> ... is available here
>>    http://www.codeplex.com/unconference
>> .
>>
>> I think being able to build that would go a long way towards proving
>> out the ASP .NET support in NMaven.
>>
>> --
>> Wendy

Re: versions in the assembly names in the repo

Wendy Smoak
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:07 PM, James Carpenter
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have just finished building the library example spun by the library archetype for the 1.6-incubating-SNAPSHOT version of nmaven.  When I examine the contents of my local repo I notice the assembly file contains the version name just as a typical java artifact does.

Welcome! :)

> When I look at the older 0.14 nmaven site docs I notice support for using org.apache.maven.dotnet.plugins:maven-install-plugin:install-file on a pre-compiled assembly.  I'm assuming the same functionality exists in nmaven 1.5+ but inspection of my local repository format indicates otherwise.  I was assuming the DefaultArtifactResolver would somehow be configured so as to use an alternate repo layout supporting assemblies without versions in their names.  Without such a change I don't understand how 3rd party closed-source libraries can be supported.

I'm not the best person to answer this, but... I think the trunk _is_
currently using version numbers in the filename, but plans to move
towards not requiring them.  AIUI, this will require changes in the
core of Maven.

--
Wendy