[VOTE] Retire Maven Runtime library

Robert Scholte-8
Hi,

The Apache Maven project consist of about 100 (sub)projects. Due to the small number of volunteers and the huge amount of code to maintain we're missing enough space to make real progress on all these projects, including our ambitious ideas for the next major version(s) of Maven itself.
To be able to gain more focus we need to criticize the current subprojects and decide if it is worth maintaining.

The Maven Runtime library has been released 3 times, the last time was May 2012 for version 1.0-alpha-3. According to https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.maven.shared/maven-runtime [https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.maven.shared/maven-runtime] this library is only used in 4 projects.
The main purpose of the library is reading the pom.properties or pom.xml from an artifact to get the version. This functionality works so the library can be considered finished.
See https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-runtime/ [https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-runtime/]

I therefore propose that we retire the maven-runtime.

I don't think it makes sense to do a final release. Instead we should update the documentation and the freeze the codebase.

The process for retiring a plugin is described here:
https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html

The vote is open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Yes, it's about time
[ ] -1 No, because...

Re: [VOTE] Retire Maven Runtime library

Sylwester Lachiewicz
+1
BR
Sylwester

śr., 15 maj 2019 o 22:59 Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> Hi,
>
> +1 from me.
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
>
> On 15.05.19 22:33, Robert Scholte wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The Apache Maven project consist of about 100 (sub)projects. Due to the
> small number of volunteers and the huge amount of code to maintain we're
> missing enough space to make real progress on all these projects, including
> our ambitious ideas for the next major version(s) of Maven itself.
> > To be able to gain more focus we need to criticize the current
> subprojects and decide if it is worth maintaining.
> >
> > The Maven Runtime library has been released 3 times, the last time was
> May 2012 for version 1.0-alpha-3. According to
> https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.maven.shared/maven-runtime [
> https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.maven.shared/maven-runtime] this
> library is only used in 4 projects.
> > The main purpose of the library is reading the pom.properties or pom.xml
> from an artifact to get the version. This functionality works so the
> library can be considered finished.
> > See https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-runtime/ [
> https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-runtime/]
> >
> > I therefore propose that we retire the maven-runtime.
> >
> > I don't think it makes sense to do a final release. Instead we should
> update the documentation and the freeze the codebase.
> >
> > The process for retiring a plugin is described here:
> > https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html
> >
> > The vote is open for 72 hours.
> >
> > [ ] +1 Yes, it's about time
> > [ ] -1 No, because...

Re: [VOTE] Retire Maven Runtime library

Manfred Moser-4
+1 .. definitely about time ;-)

Robert Scholte wrote on 2019-05-15 13:33:

> Hi,
>
> The Apache Maven project consist of about 100 (sub)projects. Due to the small
> number of volunteers and the huge amount of code to maintain we're missing
> enough space to make real progress on all these projects, including our
> ambitious ideas for the next major version(s) of Maven itself.
> To be able to gain more focus we need to criticize the current subprojects and
> decide if it is worth maintaining.
>
> The Maven Runtime library has been released 3 times, the last time was May 2012
> for version 1.0-alpha-3. According
> to https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.maven.shared/maven-runtime
> [https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.maven.shared/maven-runtime] this
> library is only used in 4 projects.
> The main purpose of the library is reading the pom.properties or pom.xml from
> an artifact to get the version. This functionality works so the library can be
> considered finished.
> See https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-runtime/
> [https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-runtime/]
>
> I therefore propose that we retire the maven-runtime.
>
> I don't think it makes sense to do a final release. Instead we should update
> the documentation and the freeze the codebase.
>
> The process for retiring a plugin is described here:
> https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html
>
> The vote is open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 Yes, it's about time
> [ ] -1 No, because...

Re: [VOTE] Retire Maven Runtime library

Tibor Digana
+1

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 10:33 PM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>