Quantcast

[VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-5

12

[VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-5

Oleg Gusakov
Hi,

Main reason for this release - bug fixes. A lot of testing done on the
repository side, IT coverage on repository components is 60-70 %

We solved 11 issues:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY/fixforversion/14955

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-4630e65601be12/

Staging site: published and will be synced to:
http://maven.apache.org/mercury/staging/

Guide to testing staged releases:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

Re: [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-5

Jason van Zyl-3
+1

On 11-Feb-09, at 12:58 AM, Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Main reason for this release - bug fixes. A lot of testing done on
> the repository side, IT coverage on repository components is 60-70 %
>
> We solved 11 issues:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY/fixforversion/14955
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-4630e65601be12/
>
> Staging site: published and will be synced to:
> http://maven.apache.org/mercury/staging/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

   -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

RE: [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-5

Brian E. Fox
+1

Re: [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-5 - please vote

Oleg Gusakov
Guys,

Need one more vote!

I understand that nobody is using Mercury yet, so it's hard to yay or
nay when project is still in alpha stage..

Thanks,
Oleg

Brian E. Fox wrote:

> +1

Jesse McConnell-2
+1!

--
jesse mcconnell
[hidden email]

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Brian E. Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1

Olivier Lamy
+1
--
Olivier

2009/2/13 Jesse McConnell <[hidden email]>:

> +1!
>
> --
> jesse mcconnell
> [hidden email]
>

> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Brian E. Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1

Arnaud Héritier
+1

Arnaud

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
> --
> Olivier
>
> 2009/2/13 Jesse McConnell <[hidden email]>:
> > +1!
> >
> > --
> > jesse mcconnell
> > [hidden email]
> >

> > On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Brian E. Fox <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> +1

Arnaud

Re: [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-5

+1 (coding style, even if important, doesn't deserve a -1 at this point)

mercury-ant-tasks is not part of the staged artifacts (not included in the
reactor): do you intend to release it separately?

Le mercredi 11 février 2009, Oleg Gusakov a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Main reason for this release - bug fixes. A lot of testing done on the
> repository side, IT coverage on repository components is 60-70 %
>
> We solved 11 issues:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY/fixforversion/14955
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-4630e65601
>be12/
>
> Staging site: published and will be synced to:
> http://maven.apache.org/mercury/staging/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1

Re: [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-5: ant tasks

Oleg Gusakov
Herve,

I'd like to move it into it's own project in the future, as well as
mercury ITs

Thanks,
Oleg

Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> +1 (coding style, even if important, doesn't deserve a -1 at this point)
>
> mercury-ant-tasks is not part of the staged artifacts (not included in the
> reactor): do you intend to release it separately?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le mercredi 11 février 2009, Oleg Gusakov a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Main reason for this release - bug fixes. A lot of testing done on the
>> repository side, IT coverage on repository components is 60-70 %
>>
>> We solved 11 issues:
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY/fixforversion/14955
>>
>> Staging repo:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-4630e65601
>> be12/
>>
>> Staging site: published and will be synced to:
>> http://maven.apache.org/mercury/staging/
>>
>> Guide to testing staged releases:
>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>>
>> Vote open for 72 hours.
>>
>> [ ] +1
>> [ ] +0
>> [ ] -1

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-5

Oleg Gusakov
The vote has passed with the following result :

+6 (binding): Jason, Brian, Jesse, Olivier, Arnaud, Herve
+1 (non binding): Oleg

I will promote the artifacts to the central repo.

Re: [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-5

Emmanuel Venisse-3
I know the vote is closed, but +1

Emmanuel

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Oleg Gusakov
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Main reason for this release - bug fixes. A lot of testing done on the
> repository side, IT coverage on repository components is 60-70 %
>
> We solved 11 issues:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY/fixforversion/14955
>
> Staging repo:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-4630e65601be12/
>
> Staging site: published and will be synced to:
> http://maven.apache.org/mercury/staging/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1

[VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-6

Oleg Gusakov

Iterative alpha release. Major fixes:
- # of dependencies - less'n 64 were ordered correctly the rest used to
be random ordering
- bad/missing repository metadata is worked around in most cases

Mercury-ant is now successfully used to bootstrap build Maven3 trunk.
Working towards implementing Maven repository system.

We solved 7 issues:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY/fixforversion/14964

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-002/

Guide to testing staged releases:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

Re: [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-6

Jason van Zyl-3
+1

On 7-Apr-09, at 2:34 PM, Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Iterative alpha release. Major fixes:
> - # of dependencies - less'n 64 were ordered correctly the rest used
> to be random ordering
> - bad/missing repository metadata is worked around in most cases
>
> Mercury-ant is now successfully used to bootstrap build Maven3
> trunk. Working towards implementing Maven repository system.
>
> We solved 7 issues:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY/fixforversion/14964
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-002/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-6

Alin Dreghiciu
Excellent. +1 (non binding).
I have a related question: Can you guys also release
org.apache.maven:maven-mercury:jar:3.0-SNAPSHOT so we have a stable
artifacts to build against. Otherwise like in the mercury-1.0-alpha-5
release, the snapshot will (possibly) move forward and it will not be
useful anymore. And the dependency is needed for
MavenDependencyProcessor.

Thanx.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Oleg Gusakov

> Iterative alpha release. Major fixes:
> - # of dependencies - less'n 64 were ordered correctly the rest used to be
> random ordering
> - bad/missing repository metadata is worked around in most cases
>
> Mercury-ant is now successfully used to bootstrap build Maven3 trunk.
> Working towards implementing Maven repository system.
>
> We solved 7 issues:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY/fixforversion/14964
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-002/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1

Alin Dreghiciu
http://www.ops4j.org - New Energy for OSS Communities - Open
Participation Software.
http://www.qi4j.org - New Energy for Java - Domain Driven Development.
Looking for a job.
Sent from Cluj-Napoca, CJ, Romania

Re: [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-6

Paul Gier
I have a few questions and then I will give my +1.

It looks like the ant tasks are part of the tag [1], but they are still marked
as a snapshot version.  Is the ant-tasks module not part of the release?  Will
there be a separate release for this?

I also tried running a simple project using the ant tasks and was not able to
get it working [2].  Maybe this will be addressed in a future release.

The last question I have is about the pluggability of dependency resolution in
mercury.  Will there be a way to create custom dependency/conflict resolution
using Maven 3/Mercury?

Thanks!

[1]https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/mercury/tags/mercury-1.0-alpha-6/mercury-ant-tasks/
[2]http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-111

Paul Gier wrote:
> I have a few questions and then I will give my +1.
>
> It looks like the ant tasks are part of the tag [1], but they are
> still marked as a snapshot version.  Is the ant-tasks module not part
> of the release?
mercury-ant-tasks happens to be located inside, it will go away as soon
as as it becomes it's own project. So - yes, it on a different release
cycle.
> Will there be a separate release for this?
Maven trunk builds all right, so I can probably release it. Let's see
what results you get :)

> I also tried running a simple project using the ant tasks and was not
> able to get it working [2].
I will have a look and reply in Jira
> Maybe this will be addressed in a future release.
>
> The last question I have is about the pluggability of dependency
> resolution in mercury.  Will there be a way to create custom
> dependency/conflict resolution using Maven 3/Mercury?
The disign is in place, but is not exposed as I did not plan to make it
available in version 1.0

The wip interface is org.apache.maven.mercury.metadata.sat.SatSolver,
some stuff is still missing. So this interface requires some work before
it's usable. And name should be more generic, of cause :)

Thanks,
Oleg

> Thanks!
>
> [1]https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/mercury/tags/mercury-1.0-alpha-6/mercury-ant-tasks/
>
> [2]http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-111
>
> Oleg Gusakov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Iterative alpha release. Major fixes:
>> - # of dependencies - less'n 64 were ordered correctly the rest used
>> to be random ordering
>> - bad/missing repository metadata is worked around in most cases
>>
>> Mercury-ant is now successfully used to bootstrap build Maven3 trunk.
>> Working towards implementing Maven repository system.
>>
>> We solved 7 issues:
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY/fixforversion/14964
>>
>> Staging repo:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-002/
>>
>> Guide to testing staged releases:
>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>>
>> Vote open for 72 hours.
>>
>> [ ] +1
>> [ ] +0
>> [ ] -1

Re: [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-6

Paul Gier
Ok, +1 for the release.

I'll take a look at the SatSolver interface.  Will there eventually be a way to
load customizations using a build extension or something like it?

Paul Gier wrote:
> Ok, +1 for the release.
>
> I'll take a look at the SatSolver interface.  Will there eventually be
> a way to load customizations using a build extension or something like
> it?
As I said - SatSolver interface is work-in-progress, so don't hold your
breath :) The two missing pieces are:
- initialization/configuration
- explanation

As soon as I am clear about those in the current impl., I'll add them to
the interface. But most probably not in 1.0

Build-extension - Mercury is a library, so it does not know anything
about container. As such - all configurations are now parametrized.
Which is not too cool - I agree on that.  I miss a container big time :(
Maybe later, but it need to be generic to meet design goals

Thanks,
Oleg

> Oleg Gusakov wrote:
>>

>> Paul Gier wrote:
>>> I have a few questions and then I will give my +1.
>>>
>>> It looks like the ant tasks are part of the tag [1], but they are
>>> still marked as a snapshot version.  Is the ant-tasks module not
>>> part of the release?
>> mercury-ant-tasks happens to be located inside, it will go away as
>> soon as as it becomes it's own project. So - yes, it on a different
>> release cycle.
>>> Will there be a separate release for this?
>> Maven trunk builds all right, so I can probably release it. Let's see
>> what results you get :)
>>>
>>> I also tried running a simple project using the ant tasks and was
>>> not able to get it working [2].
>> I will have a look and reply in Jira
>>> Maybe this will be addressed in a future release.
>>>
>>> The last question I have is about the pluggability of dependency
>>> resolution in mercury.  Will there be a way to create custom
>>> dependency/conflict resolution using Maven 3/Mercury?
>> The disign is in place, but is not exposed as I did not plan to make
>> it available in version 1.0
>>
>> The wip interface is org.apache.maven.mercury.metadata.sat.SatSolver,
>> some stuff is still missing. So this interface requires some work
>> before it's usable. And name should be more generic, of cause :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Oleg
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> [1]https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/mercury/tags/mercury-1.0-alpha-6/mercury-ant-tasks/
>>>
>>> [2]http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-111

Re: [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-6

Benjamin Bentmann
Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-002/

+1

Repeated runs of the ITs revealed some instabilities that I recorded in
MERCURY-112 and MERCURY-113 for future investigation.

Benjamin

Re: [VOTE] Release mercury-1.0-alpha-6

jdcasey
+1

I didn't see this vote at first because for some reason my email client
thought it was part of the alpha-5 vote thread. Sorry for taking so long
to vote.

-john

Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Iterative alpha release. Major fixes:
> - # of dependencies - less'n 64 were ordered correctly the rest used to
> be random ordering
> - bad/missing repository metadata is worked around in most cases
>
> Mercury-ant is now successfully used to bootstrap build Maven3 trunk.
> Working towards implementing Maven repository system.
>
> We solved 7 issues:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY/fixforversion/14964
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-002/