Quantcast

[VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12

[VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12

Kristian Rosenvold-4
Hi,

This is the first java 1.5 version of the surefire plugin. For Junit3
it is still capable of forking down to java 1.3. Parallel forks are
the new thing in this release,
and it should now be possible to run balanced parallel forks; a pretty
cool feature for people with long-running tests.

Release Notes - Maven Surefire - Version 2.12

** Bug
    * [SUREFIRE-789] - Junit Category: Tests without category fail
with the message
"initializationError(org.junit.runner.manipulation.Filter)" when
groups is set and forkMode=always
    * [SUREFIRE-793] - JUnit47 provider reports incorrect time in the XML report
    * [SUREFIRE-800] - redirectTestOutputToFile is not taken into
account in all cases with JUnit47 provider
    * [SUREFIRE-804] - Testcase fails with forkMode=always and
useSystemClassLoader=false
    * [SUREFIRE-805] - Regression: surefire 2.11 seems to break
excludeGroups config with TestNG
    * [SUREFIRE-810] - Endorsed dirs mechanism not working
    * [SUREFIRE-812] - log4j classloader problem in 2.11 that is not
there in 2.10
    * [SUREFIRE-813] - Randomly wrong tests count and empty summary
files with JUnitProvider47 when forking the tests.
    * [SUREFIRE-818] - Ignored Tests in case of NullPointerException raised!

** Improvement
    * [SUREFIRE-803] - Multiple Failsafe executions - FAILURE in an
execution prevents successive from running.
    * [SUREFIRE-806] - Make ignoring of <includes> and <excludes> on
-Dtest=... optional (for multiple Surefire executions)
    * [SUREFIRE-820] - Documentation on how to use categories with
JUnit is missing (includes patch)

** New Feature
    * [SUREFIRE-799] - Allow test parallelisation when forkMode=always

There are still lots of issues left in JIRA:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&jqlQuery=project+%3D+SUREFIRE+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+updated+DESC

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-128/

Staging site: (Sync pending)
http://maven.apache.org/surefire/staging/ (Links to sub-sites work
when transfered to production)
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-failsafe-plugin-2.12/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin-2.12/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-reports-plugin-2.12/

Guide to testing staged releases:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

And here's my +1

Kristian

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12

jdcasey
I *just* got the group expressions work (SUREFIRE-809) working, both in
JUnit and in TestNG.

When you cut the tag for this, I had it working for JUnit, but not for
TestNG, and there weren't any tests besides those that were already in
place before I started the work.

I *think* the code is stable, but not complete. If you really want to go
ahead with this release, I won't block it, but I'll plan on doing
another one in a couple weeks (I may try to see if there are other
issues I'd like to tackle first).

Of course, my preference would be to pull this vote back and do it again
in tomorrow afternoon, once I have a chance to put in these changes I'm
finishing up now.

Thoughts?

-john

On 1/24/12 5:26 PM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the first java 1.5 version of the surefire plugin. For Junit3
> it is still capable of forking down to java 1.3. Parallel forks are
> the new thing in this release,
> and it should now be possible to run balanced parallel forks; a pretty
> cool feature for people with long-running tests.
>

> Release Notes - Maven Surefire - Version 2.12
>
> ** Bug
>      * [SUREFIRE-789] - Junit Category: Tests without category fail
> with the message
> "initializationError(org.junit.runner.manipulation.Filter)" when
> groups is set and forkMode=always
>      * [SUREFIRE-793] - JUnit47 provider reports incorrect time in the XML report
>      * [SUREFIRE-800] - redirectTestOutputToFile is not taken into
> account in all cases with JUnit47 provider
>      * [SUREFIRE-804] - Testcase fails with forkMode=always and
> useSystemClassLoader=false
>      * [SUREFIRE-805] - Regression: surefire 2.11 seems to break
> excludeGroups config with TestNG
>      * [SUREFIRE-810] - Endorsed dirs mechanism not working
>      * [SUREFIRE-812] - log4j classloader problem in 2.11 that is not
> there in 2.10
>      * [SUREFIRE-813] - Randomly wrong tests count and empty summary
> files with JUnitProvider47 when forking the tests.
>      * [SUREFIRE-818] - Ignored Tests in case of NullPointerException raised!
>

> ** Improvement
>      * [SUREFIRE-803] - Multiple Failsafe executions - FAILURE in an
> execution prevents successive from running.
>      * [SUREFIRE-806] - Make ignoring of<includes>  and<excludes>  on
> -Dtest=... optional (for multiple Surefire executions)
>      * [SUREFIRE-820] - Documentation on how to use categories with
> JUnit is missing (includes patch)
>
> ** New Feature
>      * [SUREFIRE-799] - Allow test parallelisation when forkMode=always
>

> There are still lots of issues left in JIRA:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&jqlQuery=project+%3D+SUREFIRE+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+updated+DESC
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-128/
>
> Staging site: (Sync pending)
> http://maven.apache.org/surefire/staging/ (Links to sub-sites work
> when transfered to production)
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-failsafe-plugin-2.12/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin-2.12/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-reports-plugin-2.12/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> And here's my +1
>
> Kristian

John Casey
Developer, PMC Chair - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Blog: http://www.johnofalltrades.name/

[Cancel][VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12

Kristian Rosenvold-4
According to surefire tradition, we cancel this first vote.

I missed that we had a half-completed issue, guess I'm too used to
finishing all my stuff at github before committing to ASF.

Next release will be rolled on Friday night european time. If
809 is still not complete I will temporarily revert it and move it
to 2.13.

Kristian

2012/1/25 John Casey <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>     * [SUREFIRE-812] - log4j classloader problem in 2.11 that is not
>> there in 2.10
>>     * [SUREFIRE-813] - Randomly wrong tests count and empty summary
>> files with JUnitProvider47 when forking the tests.
>>     * [SUREFIRE-818] - Ignored Tests in case of NullPointerException
>> raised!
>>

>> ** Improvement
>>     * [SUREFIRE-803] - Multiple Failsafe executions - FAILURE in an
>> execution prevents successive from running.
>>     * [SUREFIRE-806] - Make ignoring of<includes>  and<excludes>  on
>> -Dtest=... optional (for multiple Surefire executions)
>>     * [SUREFIRE-820] - Documentation on how to use categories with
>> JUnit is missing (includes patch)
>>
>> ** New Feature
>>     * [SUREFIRE-799] - Allow test parallelisation when forkMode=always
>>

>> There are still lots of issues left in JIRA:

Re: [Cancel][VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12

jdcasey
Thank you! I'll finish up these tests today, and get it all committed.

On 1/25/12 2:21 AM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:

> [...]
>>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin-2.12/
>>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-reports-plugin-2.12/
>>>
>>> Guide to testing staged releases:
>>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>>>
>>> Vote open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1
>>> [ ] +0
>>> [ ] -1
>>>
>>> And here's my +1
>>>
>>> Kristian

>> --
>> John Casey
>> Developer, PMC Chair - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
>> Blog: http://www.johnofalltrades.name/

John Casey
Developer, PMC Chair - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Blog: http://www.johnofalltrades.name/

Re: [Cancel][VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12

Okay, I've added 4 new ITs and cleaned up the group-expression logic a
little more (fixing those tests). I closed SUREFIRE-809.

I think this feature is ready to go, so as far as I'm concerned, we can
restart the release whenever.

Thanks again,

-j