Quantcast

[VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12, Take 2

[VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12, Take 2

Kristian Rosenvold-4
Hi,

This is the first java 1.5 version of the surefire plugin. For Junit3
it is still capable of forking down to java 1.3. Parallel forks are
the new thing in this release,
and it should now be possible to run balanced parallel forks; a pretty
cool feature for people with long-running tests.

** Bug
    * [SUREFIRE-789] - Junit Category: Tests without category fail
with the message
"initializationError(org.junit.runner.manipulation.Filter)" when
groups is set and forkMode=always
    * [SUREFIRE-793] - JUnit47 provider reports incorrect time in the XML report
    * [SUREFIRE-800] - redirectTestOutputToFile is not taken into
account in all cases with JUnit47 provider
    * [SUREFIRE-804] - Testcase fails with forkMode=always and
useSystemClassLoader=false
    * [SUREFIRE-805] - Regression: surefire 2.11 seems to break
excludeGroups config with TestNG
    * [SUREFIRE-810] - Endorsed dirs mechanism not working
    * [SUREFIRE-812] - log4j classloader problem in 2.11 that is not
there in 2.10
    * [SUREFIRE-813] - Randomly wrong tests count and empty summary
files with JUnitProvider47 when forking the tests.
    * [SUREFIRE-818] - Ignored Tests in case of NullPointerException raised!
    * [SUREFIRE-822] - JUnit4RunListener doesn't handle apparently
'legal' junit descriptions

** Improvement
    * [SUREFIRE-803] - Multiple Failsafe executions - FAILURE in an
execution prevents successive from running.
    * [SUREFIRE-806] - Make ignoring of <includes> and <excludes> on
-Dtest=... optional (for multiple Surefire executions)
    * [SUREFIRE-820] - Documentation on how to use categories with
JUnit is missing (includes patch)

** New Feature
    * [SUREFIRE-537] - Reason for the Ignored/Skipped testcases is not reported
    * [SUREFIRE-799] - Allow test parallelisation when forkMode=always
    * [SUREFIRE-809] - Implement boolean expression to define test
group to be run.

There are still lots of issues left in JIRA:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&jqlQuery=project+%3D+SUREFIRE+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+updated+DESC

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-149/

Staging site:
http://maven.apache.org/surefire/staging/ (Links to sub-sites work
when transfered to production)
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-failsafe-plugin-2.12/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin-2.12/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-reports-plugin-2.12/

Guide to testing staged releases:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

And here's my +1

Kristian

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12, Take 2

Jason van Zyl-5

On Jan 29, 2012, at 6:03 AM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the first java 1.5 version of the surefire plugin. For Junit3
> it is still capable of forking down to java 1.3. Parallel forks are
> the new thing in this release,
> and it should now be possible to run balanced parallel forks; a pretty
> cool feature for people with long-running tests.

What is a balanced parallel fork?

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

 -- Shakespeare

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12, Take 2

Kristian Rosenvold-3
Given N parallel forks, it attempts to schedule tests so all forks
will complete at the same time. It's runOrder=balanced in the docs.
Great feature for users with long-running tests. We saved 20% run-time
on our selenium tests. 2.11 supported balanced for regular parallel
runs, 2.12 adds support for parallel forks and balanced works with
this too.

Will blog about these features once 2.12 is out. It's all in the docs too

Kristian

On Jan 29, 2012, at 8:43 AM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:

> Given N parallel forks, it attempts to schedule tests so all forks
> will complete at the same time. It's runOrder=balanced in the docs.
> Great feature for users with long-running tests. We saved 20% run-time
> on our selenium tests. 2.11 supported balanced for regular parallel
> runs, 2.12 adds support for parallel forks and balanced works with
> this too.

Does this accurate represent what you've done:

https://gist.github.com/1699568

> Will blog about these features once 2.12 is out. It's all in the docs too
>
> Kristian
>
> Den 29. jan. 2012 kl. 14:15 skrev Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]>:
>

>> On Jan 29, 2012, at 6:03 AM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is the first java 1.5 version of the surefire plugin. For Junit3
>>> it is still capable of forking down to java 1.3. Parallel forks are
>>> the new thing in this release,
>>> and it should now be possible to run balanced parallel forks; a pretty
>>> cool feature for people with long-running tests.
>>>

>> What is a balanced parallel fork?
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> the course of true love never did run smooth ...
>>
>> -- Shakespeare

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.

  -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12, Take 2

stephenconnolly
This should be... IIRC, spreading test cases across cores in such a way that the least number of cores are idle at the end.

Not sure if this is the full replacement for kk's maven-junit-plugin use case yet... But hoping ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

On 29 Jan 2012, at 16:40, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2012, at 8:43 AM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:
>
>> Given N parallel forks, it attempts to schedule tests so all forks
>> will complete at the same time. It's runOrder=balanced in the docs.
>> Great feature for users with long-running tests. We saved 20% run-time
>> on our selenium tests. 2.11 supported balanced for regular parallel
>> runs, 2.12 adds support for parallel forks and balanced works with
>> this too.
>>

> Does this accurate represent what you've done:
>
> https://gist.github.com/1699568
>
>> Will blog about these features once 2.12 is out. It's all in the docs too
>>
>> Kristian

>>> What is a balanced parallel fork?
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>>
>>> the course of true love never did run smooth ...
>>>
>>> -- Shakespeare

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>
> First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
> so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
> the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
> as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.
>
>  -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12, Take 2

jdcasey
+1

On 1/29/12 6:03 AM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:

> [...]
>      * [SUREFIRE-818] - Ignored Tests in case of NullPointerException raised!
>      * [SUREFIRE-822] - JUnit4RunListener doesn't handle apparently
> 'legal' junit descriptions
>

> ** Improvement
>      * [SUREFIRE-803] - Multiple Failsafe executions - FAILURE in an
> execution prevents successive from running.
>      * [SUREFIRE-806] - Make ignoring of<includes>  and<excludes>  on
> -Dtest=... optional (for multiple Surefire executions)
>      * [SUREFIRE-820] - Documentation on how to use categories with
> JUnit is missing (includes patch)
>
> ** New Feature
>      * [SUREFIRE-537] - Reason for the Ignored/Skipped testcases is not reported
>      * [SUREFIRE-799] - Allow test parallelisation when forkMode=always
>      * [SUREFIRE-809] - Implement boolean expression to define test
> group to be run.
>

> There are still lots of issues left in JIRA:

John Casey
Developer, PMC Chair - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Blog: http://www.johnofalltrades.name/

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12, Take 2

olamy
+1

tested on various projects without issues.

2012/1/29 Kristian Rosenvold <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>    * [SUREFIRE-818] - Ignored Tests in case of NullPointerException raised!
>    * [SUREFIRE-822] - JUnit4RunListener doesn't handle apparently
> 'legal' junit descriptions
>

> ** Improvement
>    * [SUREFIRE-803] - Multiple Failsafe executions - FAILURE in an
> execution prevents successive from running.
>    * [SUREFIRE-806] - Make ignoring of <includes> and <excludes> on
> -Dtest=... optional (for multiple Surefire executions)
>    * [SUREFIRE-820] - Documentation on how to use categories with
> JUnit is missing (includes patch)
>
> ** New Feature
>    * [SUREFIRE-537] - Reason for the Ignored/Skipped testcases is not reported
>    * [SUREFIRE-799] - Allow test parallelisation when forkMode=always
>    * [SUREFIRE-809] - Implement boolean expression to define test
> group to be run.
>

> There are still lots of issues left in JIRA:

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12, Take 2

stephenconnolly
Looks good. Source distro builds clean

+1

-Stephen

On 29 January 2012 11:03, Kristian Rosenvold

> [...]
>    * [SUREFIRE-818] - Ignored Tests in case of NullPointerException raised!
>    * [SUREFIRE-822] - JUnit4RunListener doesn't handle apparently
> 'legal' junit descriptions
>

> ** Improvement
>    * [SUREFIRE-803] - Multiple Failsafe executions - FAILURE in an
> execution prevents successive from running.
>    * [SUREFIRE-806] - Make ignoring of <includes> and <excludes> on
> -Dtest=... optional (for multiple Surefire executions)
>    * [SUREFIRE-820] - Documentation on how to use categories with
> JUnit is missing (includes patch)
>
> ** New Feature
>    * [SUREFIRE-537] - Reason for the Ignored/Skipped testcases is not reported
>    * [SUREFIRE-799] - Allow test parallelisation when forkMode=always
>    * [SUREFIRE-809] - Implement boolean expression to define test
> group to be run.
>

> There are still lots of issues left in JIRA:

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.12, Take 2

Kristian Rosenvold-5
Hi,

The vote has passed with the following result :

+1 (binding): Casey, Lamy, Connolly, Rosenvold

I will promote the artifacts to the central repo.