[VOTE] Release Apache Maven Javadoc Plugin version 3.0.0 (take 2)

[VOTE] Release Apache Maven Javadoc Plugin version 3.0.0 (take 2)

Robert Scholte-8
Hi,

We solved 27 issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12317529&version=12330875&styleName=Text

There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%2012317529%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1377/
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1377/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/3.0.0/maven-javadoc-plugin-3.0.0-source-release.zip

Source release checksum(s):
maven-javadoc-plugin-3.0.0-source-release.zip sha1:
9f70c385b6be7666f35b5a24ede9c5c60e28dfce

Staging site:
https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-javadoc-plugin-LATEST/

Guide to testing staged releases:
https://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Vote open for at least 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Javadoc Plugin version 3.0.0 (take 2)

Mark Raynsford
Hello!

I'd like to vote on this issue, but I still have a remaining problem
and am not sure if it's because the plugin is broken due to the new
module changes, or just because my project setup is slightly
unusual.

See here:

https://github.com/io7m/maven-javadoc-bug-20171118

The "c" module attempts to aggregate the javadoc of the other modules
in the reactor into a single directory. It fails because the plugin
attempts to load the module descriptors of the other projects,
resulting in a "too many module descriptors" error.

This is a simplified version of a real project here (all of my
projects follow the same basic structure):

  https://github.com/io7m/jequality

The javadoc of all of the modules is aggregated into a directory and
combined with some other documentation into a .zip for deployment.

I'd could use the "aggregate" goal, but that causes too many problems
due to the way that the goal forks and re-runs previous goals bound to
the compile phase. Apart from anything, in larger projects with lots of
modules, re-running all of those goals takes unacceptably long.

It's not clear to me if this is actually a problem with the current
plugin, or just because I'm not supposed to do things this way.

--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Javadoc Plugin version 3.0.0 (take 2)

Robert Scholte-8
That's similar to MJAVADOC-479[1]

Seems like all Java 9 issues are not resolved yet.
I don't mind canceling the vote if we can fix this as well.

thanks,
Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MJAVADOC-479

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 16:57:36 +0100, Mark Raynsford
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'd like to vote on this issue, but I still have a remaining problem
> and am not sure if it's because the plugin is broken due to the new
> module changes, or just because my project setup is slightly
> unusual.
>
> See here:
>
> https://github.com/io7m/maven-javadoc-bug-20171118
>
> The "c" module attempts to aggregate the javadoc of the other modules
> in the reactor into a single directory. It fails because the plugin
> attempts to load the module descriptors of the other projects,
> resulting in a "too many module descriptors" error.
>
> This is a simplified version of a real project here (all of my
> projects follow the same basic structure):
>
>   https://github.com/io7m/jequality
>
> The javadoc of all of the modules is aggregated into a directory and
> combined with some other documentation into a .zip for deployment.
>
> I'd could use the "aggregate" goal, but that causes too many problems
> due to the way that the goal forks and re-runs previous goals bound to
> the compile phase. Apart from anything, in larger projects with lots of
> modules, re-running all of those goals takes unacceptably long.
>
> It's not clear to me if this is actually a problem with the current
> plugin, or just because I'm not supposed to do things this way.

[CANCELED] [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Javadoc Plugin version 3.0.0 (take 2)

Robert Scholte-8
I'm going to cancel this vote.

The modules + aggregators is a valid find and it is quite easy to fix.
I'd prefer to add it for 3.0.0, otherwise others will hit it too.

Robert

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 16:10:34 +0100, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>